Do you eat at specialty restaurants? What time?

Look2Sea

As a solo traveler, do you dine at the specialty restaurants?

What time?

Specialty restaurant time is 6-10pm.

I am not particular about when I eat, but wondering if 6pm would be more comfortable for solo diner (less likely to feel out of place, not that I would).

I am planning specialty restaurants on sea days.

I dined solo on the Navigator in both speciality restaurants. I always was there at 6 when they opened. This fit my schedule and initially it helped me settle in as normally it was empty and the staff was friendly and attentive. I enjoyed it so much I never went to the MDR and the staff was exceptional and were always gracious and outgoing when they saw me. I always brought a book and read but frequently others by you will engage in conversation and up to you how much conversation you want. I freqently stayed for hours as other guests and staff were so friendly. Although I always told them to let me know if they needed the table they always encouraged me to stay. I loved the food, service and friendly conversation and also tipped additionally each night for the exceptional service.

I am so glad I found this thread. I am cruising on Carnival Freedom in 11 days and booked the specialty restaurant as a birthday treat to myself.

Although I have cruised many times, this will be my first experience with the specialty rest. I am so looking forward to it now.

I may take a book, but then I love to people watch and may not.

Will definitely let you know how it goes!!

Pam

I am so glad I found this thread. I am cruising on Carnival Freedom in 11 days and booked the specialty restaurant as a birthday treat to myself.

Although I have cruised many times, this will be my first experience with the specialty rest. I am so looking forward to it now.

I may take a book, but then I love to people watch and may not.

Will definitely let you know how it goes!!

Pam

I sail solo on the majority of my cruises. Depending on what's going on, I sometimes eat in the specialty restaurant. I've eat there as a birthday gift to myself and it was a great gift for me.

Kween Karen Since you are on a longer cruise, I would book one or two nights during the cruise for dining in the Pinnacle grill. I also love the dining room on the HAL ships and eating with my tablemates, but I did eat one night on my 14 day cruise. It was nice to have a dinner at my pace that night. You will often find people on the longer cruises will take a break from the dining room from time to time. If any of us were going to eat in the Lido (due to long port days) or in Pinnacle, we let the table know the day before or told another tablemate.

The steaks and the Cream Burlee in the Pinnacle is the best!!!

I'm sure that, as everyone has written, the food in the specialty restaurants is excellent. But the meal is said to take quite a long time. When going solo, is this too long to just sit alone and wait? What do you do between courses or while waiting for your food to come?

Naive question, I'm sure, but... do you have the option when you arrive to share a table? Or do you have to make those plans with people you meet on board before dinner?

It takes a lot less time for a solo...trust me....

I have never eaten in a specialty restaurant. I love the dining room experience and haven't seen the need to pay extra for something else. My next cruise, however, will be very long AND I will have a birthday on it. Maybe! But then............I don't want to go to a different dining area alone when I have already gotten to know my tablemates in the dining room. I think it would feel like starting all over. We'll see though.

Think positive Karen. Maybe all your tablemates will be filthy rich and decide to "treat" you to a specialty restaurant for your birthday! If not, go yourself and enjoy some quiet time to peruse what you have done by the point in your journey.

Archived