Need restaurant help for large group in fll

Illinoisgal

We have 18 of us going to Ft Lauderdale and are looking for a place for good place to eat in the area for our one evening post cruise. The age ranges from 10 to 75 so we need a diversified place. We are staying at the cypress creek La quinta, but will have mini vans to transport us where we need to go. Would like something under 20 or so pp and not a "chain" restaurant like applebees etc. thanks!!

We have 18 of us going to Ft Lauderdale and are looking for a place for good place to eat in the area for our one evening post cruise. The age ranges from 10 to 75 so we need a diversified place. We are staying at the cypress creek La quinta, but will have mini vans to transport us where we need to go. Would like something under 20 or so pp and not a "chain" restaurant like applebees etc. thanks!!

http://www.seawatchontheocean.com/

Sea Watch is on the ocean between Atlantic Blvd and Commercial Blvd. They have an early bird menu that might be in your price range.

http://www.zuckerellos.com/index.html

Zuckerello's is on E. Commercial Blvd and most entrees are under $20. They also have a good early bird, which gives you a full meal for around $15.

There is also a Bonefish Grill on N. Federal Hwy just north of Cypress Creek Road. It is a chain, but a very nice one, and nicely priced for fresh seafood.

thanks for your info :0 ) Forgot to mention we do not land until 6pm on the 19th, so we will be eating around 7, so the early birds are out :( the one set of grandparents have money but are tightwads but the rest of us dont care, so more pricey options would be ok as well. We would really like to find a place that takes reservations since one grandpa is diabetic and needs to eat in a timely manner. I dont like seafood ( I know Im crazy,) but most do . I ll check out those links right now :) We ate at carrabas last time we were there and it was fantastic, but the recent reviews are bad. Thanks!

Most places will take reservations for a large party. We have had many dinner reservations at Bonefish Grill and at the Wine Cellar (E. Oakland Park Blvd) with groups of your size.

Sea Watch will be way over budget after happy hour.

There is a casual Italian chain called Buca Di Beppo, on N. Federal Hwy. They can accomodate large parties, but we had really bad service last time we went. You can get a room practically to yourselves, and the entrees serve 2-3 people.

Chammps is a casual American food chain/sports bar and is really close to your hotel, on N. Andrews Ave. You could ask to be seated in the patio room. They have really good food, and a big menu.

thanks again! YEs some of the Older folks would find the menus I looked at "too fussy" and fancy :0) We have Buca's in Chicago, that was a good suggestion. Ill have to keep that in mind. I found a place called Giorgios brick oven pizza this evening, have you been there? I think Ive been to a champs, Ill checdk it out. Thanks again for the help!

Rustic Inn may be able to handle a group that size. Very good seafood!

thanks again! YEs some of the Older folks would find the menus I looked at "too fussy" and fancy :0) We have Buca's in Chicago, that was a good suggestion. Ill have to keep that in mind. I found a place called Giorgios brick oven pizza this evening, have you been there? I think Ive been to a champs, Ill checdk it out. Thanks again for the help!

I tried not to recommend anything fancy or fussy, but I guess everyone sees things differently. I've never heard of Giorgio's but bear in mind that it is a half hour away, near the port. I live close to where you are staying. Umberto's on E. Commercial Blvd might be a great choice for your group. They have greeeeaaaaaat pizza and also offer pastas and traditional neighborhood Italian food. It might be closer to what your group is looking for. They can accomodate a large party:

http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/b4GRO-O9er2444abBlKsEs-umbertos-restaurant-pizza-fort-lauderdale-fl

There is another very popular pizza place that locals go to: Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, but the menu is more limited and the place is smaller. The pizza is thin and is served well done.

Most of the patrons of Umbertos and Zuckerellos are 50 and up.

I tried not to recommend anything fancy or fussy, but I guess everyone sees things differently. I've never heard of Giorgio's but bear in mind that it is a half hour away, near the port. I live close to where you are staying. Umberto's on E. Commercial Blvd might be a great choice for your group. They have greeeeaaaaaat pizza and also offer pastas and traditional neighborhood Italian food. It might be closer to what your group is looking for. They can accomodate a large party:

http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/b4GRO-O9er2444abBlKsEs-umbertos-restaurant-pizza-fort-lauderdale-fl

There is another very popular pizza place that locals go to: Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, but the menu is more limited and the place is smaller. The pizza is thin and is served well done.

Most of the patrons of Umbertos and Zuckerellos are 50 and up.

Thanks! I wouldve eaten at any of the places you recommended but our older crowd was the one who thought it was fussy etc. Hope you didnt take it personally. Remember they are from central Illinois where the "good place to eat " is the bowlign alley etc. Haha. I lived in Chicago area for 10 yrs so Im open minded food wise. I remember the first time I made pesto here, I sure got alot of funny looks> We still drive to chicago to go to our favorite steak house etc which everyone around here thinks it weird. We just get a craving, pack up anf go. Its a 3 hr drive from home now, but we dont think anything about it. They also complain if they have to drive "across town" which takes 20 minutes, we dont have traffic back ups here :)

That last place you suggested looks like a winner, I think they could all find something there and the prices wont kill them. Ill give them a call tomorrow! Ps that brick oven pizza with the fresh basil sounds so good! YOu cant find a pizza with basil around here, they look at me like I have 3 heads when I ask!

Thanks! I wouldve eaten at any of the places you recommended but our older crowd was the one who thought it was fussy etc. Hope you didnt take it personally. Remember they are from central Illinois where the "good place to eat " is the bowlign alley etc. Haha. I lived in Chicago area for 10 yrs so Im open minded food wise. I remember the first time I made pesto here, I sure got alot of funny looks> We still drive to chicago to go to our favorite steak house etc which everyone around here thinks it weird. We just get a craving, pack up anf go. Its a 3 hr drive from home now, but we dont think anything about it. They also complain if they have to drive "across town" which takes 20 minutes, we dont have traffic back ups here :)

That last place you suggested looks like a winner, I think they could all find something there and the prices wont kill them. Ill give them a call tomorrow! Ps that brick oven pizza with the fresh basil sounds so good! YOu cant find a pizza with basil around here, they look at me like I have 3 heads when I ask!

No, I wasn't offended but I thought it was funny because the non-chain restaurants I suggested cater to an older crowd. LOL, I know what you mean about pesto...I love it but people think it's weird because it's green. I'm originally from the Baltimore suburbs, and the "kids" my age (44) joke that people there won't eat anything they can't pronounce. So I get it. Yeah, Anthony's basil pizza is great. Some people don't like it because the crust bottom comes out black. Umberto's has the cornmeal bottom crust, so it's thin and crispy like in NYC. There's a pizza place we like even more in Pompano Beach, but I didn't recommend it because I don't think they can get 18 people at one table (they might). It's called Sicilian oven and they have awesome salad & brick oven pizza & $22 Sicilian wines. And Rita's frozen custard is next door for dessert.

Hey. I just wanted to let you know that I just got an email from Buca Di Beppo telling me that they closed the Fort Lauderdale location yesterday.

Oh good thing you gave me that other info haha. Yeah I asked for non chain info as I like to be adventerous when traveling( Im a foodie on the cruise ship too I admit) I dont like to go 1500 miles to eat somewhere I can eat here. I like the local kitchy places.I would really love to go for japanese but I know they wont go for it :(

Another funny thing I get looks for is my use of organic product. My Dh cousin wanted milk for his son last year. She actually said " I know you use that organic stuff does it taste weird or have anything funny in it etc" I had to laugh at her. I told her no thats the point it DOesnt have anything bad in it. Ah gotta love them. We ( DH DS ( 10 ) and myself) travel so much that it just amazes us when people are scared to go more than 2 blocks from their hotel. Sure weve been lost but thats part of the fun. Ill try just about anything. Our son has been to so many cool places and done so much that people are always amazed that we take him with us on cruises etc. I said he wouldnt let us go otherwise.

LOL, I have Blue Diamond almond soy milk in my fridge, and Morningstar Farms veggie breakfast meats in my freezer! By the way if you are coming in on a Wednesday night, call the Wine Cellar to see if they still have 2 for 1 dinner Wednesdays! They have a lot of older patrons, and their food is not too fancy. It's Hungarian, and they serve creamed spinach and red cabbage family style with all dinners.

my mom is a vegetarian and does the soy milk etc. It amazes me that some of the fake meat stuff costs far more than the "real" version. We wont be in until thurs night :( Son is in 5th grade coming up and all the others have to work. My sister lives in Florida though so we visit several times a year so I get to enjoy diverse food when we visit. The have this killer pizza place with garlic knots there that are sooooo good MMm.

MY sister has celiacs so it sure would be fun going out to eat if we all went out. I guess Thai/japanese/chinese would work

my mom is a vegetarian and does the soy milk etc. It amazes me that some of the fake meat stuff costs far more than the "real" version. We wont be in until thurs night :( Son is in 5th grade coming up and all the others have to work. My sister lives in Florida though so we visit several times a year so I get to enjoy diverse food when we visit. The have this killer pizza place with garlic knots there that are sooooo good MMm.

MY sister has celiacs so it sure would be fun going out to eat if we all went out. I guess Thai/japanese/chinese would work

We have Thai and Japanese restaurants every mile here. The best one near your hotel is Tee Jay. They are packed every night of the week. Most of the Chinese places are dirty takeouts.

We have Thai and Japanese restaurants every mile here. The best one near your hotel is Tee Jay. They are packed every night of the week. Most of the Chinese places are dirty takeouts.

YOU are so lucky. OUr fruit sucks and we have no good asian restaurants within 2 hrs of here. Ill keep that place in mind, we are leaving from Ft Lauderdale for our first RCl cruise next year

Archived