Jelly fish encounters while snorkeling Klein Bonaire?

Sundae

Hello,

My family and I are cruising on Ruby Princess 12/4 and I've been on here researching the ports of calls.

Researching things to do and tour operators to book with, I came across several threads from 2008 (I think) that mentioned jelly fish encounters by visitors while snorkeling on Klein Bonaire. I'm a bit concerned about that as I always have extreme reactions to insect bites/stings. If jelly fish occurrence is common on Klein Bonaire, I am going to have to re-arrange my day in Bonaire. Has anyone been snorkeling to Klein Bonaire recently? How serious is the jelly fish in the waters there?

Thanks!!

Hello,

My family and I are cruising on Ruby Princess 12/4 and I've been on here researching the ports of calls.

Researching things to do and tour operators to book with, I came across several threads from 2008 (I think) that mentioned jelly fish encounters by visitors while snorkeling on Klein Bonaire. I'm a bit concerned about that as I always have extreme reactions to insect bites/stings. If jelly fish occurrence is common on Klein Bonaire, I am going to have to re-arrange my day in Bonaire. Has anyone been snorkeling to Klein Bonaire recently? How serious is the jelly fish in the waters there?

Thanks!!

I just got back from Bonaire two weeks ago. I did see jelly fish but managed to not get stung. I did however get into some fire coral and still have the rash.

I just got back from Bonaire two weeks ago. I did see jelly fish but managed to not get stung. I did however get into some fire coral and still have the rash.

OMG! I hope you're ok! What beach did you see the jelly fish and fire coral? How big was the jelly fish? I guess coral is another thing I should watch out for. Have you put any creams/ointments on the rash?

We have only encountered jellyfish while snorkelling after there has been lots of rain. We spent two one-week trips in Bonaire and have had more problems with mosquitos than with the jellyfish. However, in Curacao one year, after an unusually heavy rainy season, a jellyfish tentacle got caught in my bathing suit and I had welts on parts of my chest and abdomen as souvineers for weeks. I used vinegar the first two days and then switched to Benadryl or Calamine lotion.

We have only encountered jellyfish while snorkelling after there has been lots of rain. We spent two one-week trips in Bonaire and have had more problems with mosquitos than with the jellyfish. However, in Curacao one year, after an unusually heavy rainy season, a jellyfish tentacle got caught in my bathing suit and I had welts on parts of my chest and abdomen as souvineers for weeks. I used vinegar the first two days and then switched to Benadryl or Calamine lotion.

Wow, ok vinegar works?! It was "busted" as an urban myth on the Discovery's Mythbusters. So I guess I will pray that there not be any rains before our visit to Bonaire.

My friends suggested I use vinegar and it seemed to help alleviate the discomfort (PAIN). I remember the Mythbusters episode on flatulance - funny.

btw - the Klein Bonaire snorkel trip we took was a "drift snorkel" off a boat rather than from the beach in February many years ago. I am not a strong swimmer but my wetsuit kept me afloat in the 20-30 feet deep water. We saw eels, barracuda, trumpetfish, puffers, parrotfish, angelfish and lots of other sealife. Did not encounter any jellyfish that particular time.

OMG! I hope you're ok! What beach did you see the jelly fish and fire coral? How big was the jelly fish? I guess coral is another thing I should watch out for. Have you put any creams/ointments on the rash?

Yeah I am fine just didn't know or understand what the heck I got into. I had a BAD rash that bubbled up like a third degree burn. The beach with the jelly fish and coral was at Alice in Wonderland dive site close to the airport. The fire coral is everywhere and you have to be careful.

I went to the doctor and got some prescription ointment to put on the rash. I still have a small patch left on my leg.

Yeah I am fine just didn't know or understand what the heck I got into. I had a BAD rash that bubbled up like a third degree burn. The beach with the jelly fish and coral was at Alice in Wonderland dive site close to the airport. The fire coral is everywhere and you have to be careful.

I went to the doctor and got some prescription ointment to put on the rash. I still have a small patch left on my leg.

Oh man, I've had blisters from bug bites too. I visited a beach in Punta Cana in May 2008. It was an excursion outside of the all-inclusive resort. There were tons of these sand flies the locals called "malle" that would sting and bite us as we walked. My friends all healed nicely the next day with no side effects but with me, the entry wounds caused blisters. I also went to the doctor for creams and I still have scarring.

I try to get an image of fire coral on google. They seem to be very varied. Just don't touch or bump into anything in the water, I suppose.

Archived