Cook or Marquesas?

trixie54

Hopefully someone will reply that has done both of them. For our first time to FP, we are doing the Marquesas. I liked the idea of going to more ports, but it does cut down on the amount of time on some of the other islands. Somethings got to give. Since I am a scuba diver, having a stop at Rangiroa, one of the top dive spots in the world, was very appealing. Additionally, the allure of the Marquesas, where very few tourists ever get to visit, was quite intriguing. I think this itinerary will give us exposure to the many faces of French Polynesia and help us to know where we want to go back to visit on our next visit. From what I have read, I don't think you can go wrong with either of the itineraries. Since the Cook Islands itinerary is done all year long and there are only 6 Marquesas sailings a year, I wanted to go on it while I could.

cook! much more time snorkeling... Rangiroa looks awesome, but unless you scuba dive the Marqueasas are not for you. we have done the cook itin. once, doing it again in a week. we love to snorkel and can't wait to do it again!

Hi - Just returned from the Tahitian Princess. We did the Cook Islands itinerary and were really glad we chose it. Here are my reasons.

You get to see Huahine - Doing Marc's tour with Huahine Nautique was the highlight of our trip. It was a blast.

You overnight in Bora Bora - Need I say more!!!

Rarotonga is gorgeous. The people are incredible (Kiwis are awlays so friendly). The road around the island is so beautiful and the speed limit is 40 kph so it is very fun and safe to rent scooters and bomb around the island with your snorkelling gear. Great snorkelling at the "Fruits of Rarotonga" and they will even watch your stuff while you swim.

We spoke with quite a few people who were disembarking after doing the Marquesas and they thought the islands were beautiful but there wasn't much to do there. The coastline is very rugged and beaches are few. The crew on the ship in general much prefer the Cooks itinerary.

We are definitely doing the Cooks again next year.

Hope I have helped a little. Whichever one you choose, you will have a great time. The Polynesian shows on board are incredible.

Hi - Marc's tour picks you up right at the dock. You go in medium sized outrigger canoes (motorized of course). They take you to 2 wonderful snorkeling spots first. The only strenuous part could be getting back into the boat from the water. It's only a matter of climbing a ladder. Then you go to the Motu where the tables, chair and even BBQs are in the water. The lunch is wonderful. There was a group of polynesian singers with ukeleles who were in the water with us. The bar is open and the Hinanos are cold. They demonstrate how to make "Poison Cru" and the dancing is fun too.

Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend the Cook Islands for someone cruising French Polynesia for the first time. Reasons: Huahine is beautiful, fairly untouched island. I recommend the beach horse back ride here. You have two days in Bora Bora...this really is what Paradise in your dreams looks like! Two days in Raiatea...trying dining ashore on this island and you'll find some of the best polynesian cuisine! I'd also recommend taking the tour to the Tahaa Pearl Beach Resort...that hotel is incredible. The Marquesas Islands are truly untouched and so there are a lot less shore excursions offered and its more difficult to take a tour on your own there.

Hope this helps!

Denise Blackmore, ACC

Tahiti Tiare Agent

Archived