Do you pay the £35 to select your cabin

We always pay the 35 pounds to book a specific cabin...I know it is not the norm but the different cruiselines charge extras for different things....15 percent on drinks on Royal Caribbean for example (and the drinks are more expensive than Thomson before that is added)...also tips are included on Thomson ships...some ships charge for the shuttle buses - with some there is no charge...so it shows how important it is to check all the various costs before you book as it can make a huge difference to the final bill.

I pay the £35 if it is important to get the right cabin plus of course travelling solo complicates matters.

On Celebration all single cabins are aft on deck 2 near the engines, Yuk! In this case I pay extra for an outside as they have double beds.

On Spirit I found outside cabins on deck 3 were quieter than those on deck 2 so in future I will pay to choose the same cabin as my last cruise. It had 2 single beds but they were measuring up to replace with a double at the next winter 'refit'.

On Destiny there are no single cabins but for next summer I was able to book a midships outside on deck 3 for only £12 more than an inside but had to pay the £35 supplement, hopfully this will not be the worst cabin on the deck!

When I get round to the Dream (Caribbean 2011?) I will try for one of the forward singles, well away fom the engines.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Weve paid this cabin charge on the Spirit for oct 23rd jewels of the med cruise, do you pick your cabin when you board the ship and can anyone suggest the recommended cabin to choose as this is our first cruise cheers

If you book online you phone the listed number and talk to a rep who will tell you what cabins are available in the category you have chosen.

If you book at a travel agent and have paid the £35 they should have phoned Thomson WHEN YOU BOOKED to get the cabin allocated. this should be itemised on your booking details. For example for a cruise next year on Destiny my booking says ;

"SUPPLIER ERRATA: 28/May/09

Mr 'Davetheroad' has pre booked cabin number 3131"

when I get my ticket I expect it to say cabin 3131!

I once booked at a TA and phoned the number later but was told that I would have to go back to the TA as the phone cabin service only applied to online booking!

Weve paid this cabin charge on the Spirit for oct 23rd jewels of the med cruise, do you pick your cabin when you board the ship and can anyone suggest the recommended cabin to choose as this is our first cruise cheers

No... you need to choose your cabin before you go..you should have a number to ring and sort it out.

I would choose one midships if you get the choice or a bit forward of midships as the vibration that is present on Spirit and Celebration seems to be worse at the back. Have a look at the Deck plans and have them with you when you phone as they will tell you what's available and you need to see where they are. Try to steer clear of being above or below noisy bars or theatre !! Even under the top deck is noisy early in the mornings when the crew are sorting the sun beds!!

I have paid this amount, I booked through an agent Thomas Cook. First I rang Thompsons up, to find out what cabins were available and where, then I rang up the travel agents, and got them to book my required cabin. Have now received confirmation of cabin and no.:D

We always pay the £35... it's peanuts compared to the total cost and well worth every penny as we're the only people responsible for what is noisy above and below - also there are only a limited number of double rooms so if you want one - book it.

David and Jan

I have paid the 35.00 on the Spirit as i wanted to make sure our outside cabin had a view and not blocked by a life boat! ive allways been happy to pay for a certain cabin but as others say other lines dont charge eg celebrity do not but drinks ect cost a little more with this line than thomspon...swings and roundabouts a haha Happy hols :D

Archived