Noisy Toilets

panzerman

All,

Is it just me or are there others who were annoyed by the airline-like vacuum toilets on Uniworld's River Countess and perhaps other ships? In our catagory 2 cabin we could hear the flushing of at least two other cabins toilets, one next to us was so loud when the user flushed I thought the bathroom was coming through the wall! This and the lack of Internet access was our only complaint on an otherwise flawless and wonderful week-long cruise.

Panzerman

All,

Is it just me or are there others who were annoyed by the airline-like vacuum toilets on Uniworld's River Countess and perhaps other ships? In our catagory 2 cabin we could hear the flushing of at least two other cabins toilets, one next to us was so loud when the user flushed I thought the bathroom was coming through the wall! This and the lack of Internet access was our only complaint on an otherwise flawless and wonderful week-long cruise.

Panzerman

You probably need to eliminate ocean and river cruise ships from your consideration. All of the 20 or so ships I've sailed on have used the vacuum systems.

However, the U-drive-it canal boat that we took on the canals of Wales and Shropshire did NOT have the vacuum system. On the other hand, when you flushed, you stepped on a lever that opened the valve, pumped water into the toilet, and then closed the valve. Be careful what you wish for.

That said, we had a wonderful time on our narrowboat. It is wise to research the idiosyncrasies of the different venues you are considering. What others may consider normal, may be a show-stopper to you.

All,

Thanks so much for the responses and reassurance that I was not on some strange vessel that was mated with an air liner! It was our first river cruise and we found it a little conspicuous in its use.

Panzerman

When my mom was on her Nile cruise in 1990 she told me there was a gap at the bottom of the wall in her bathroom that was big enough to let light through from the neighbouring cabin. I guess it's all part of the experience!

Archived