What kind of money can be used in Croatia?

Depends on what you are wanting to do. Some shops will take euros but some won't. Buses will only take kuna, taxis probably will take euros. Walking the wall - should take both euros and kuna but change will be in kuna so don't hand in big denomination notes. Would be a good idea to have some kuna

When we were docked in Dubrovnik, we walked across the street from the port entrance and got some Kuna from an ATM (I think there is also an ATM in the port terminal building). We than used the Kuna to purchase discount bus tickets (these are sold at news kiosks on some shops) which allowed us to ride the public bus (stops very close to the front of the port terminal building) into town for about $1.30 as opposed to the $12 pp being charged by the cruise line for their shuttle. The public buses drop you at the same location as the cruise line shuttles (at the square right in front of the main entrance to the city) and the buses run every few minutes (actually more often than the cruise line shuttle buses). There is also an internet place across the street and down the block (towards town) from the port where you can get high speed internet for about $3 per hour as opposed to 50 cents per minute for slow service on most ships.

Hank

We will be visiting Dubrovnik on the Brillance, should we get the local currency or will they take euros, dollars, etc?

Unless you are taking the bus, euros will work fine for Dubrovnik. If you don't have smaller euro notes, stop by the reception desk on your ship before you disembark for the day and ask them to make change.

We only had euros when we visited Dubrovnik in June and had zero problems. For us, it did not make sense to pay the ATM service fees in order to have kuna.

So many European tourists visit Dubrovnik from cruise ships that just about any business you'll need to interact with will accept the currency that the majority of tourists are carrying. Shops, restaurants, walking the wall, taxis all accept euros.

Joe

Unless you are taking the bus, euros will work fine for Dubrovnik. If you don't have smaller euro notes, stop by the reception desk on your ship before you disembark for the day and ask them to make change.

We only had euros when we visited Dubrovnik in June and had zero problems. For us, it did not make sense to pay the ATM service fees in order to have kuna.

So many European tourists visit Dubrovnik from cruise ships that just about any business you'll need to interact with will accept the currency that the majority of tourists are carrying. Shops, restaurants, walking the wall, taxis all accept euros.

Joe

Please understand clearly that the Kuna is the legal currency of Croatia, we are not part of the EU. The taxi drivers will take Euros, that's true. However there are more and more signs going up in town stating "NO EUROS." You may want to get a couple of hundred Euros just in case you find you might want to do more than just walk the walls.

Please understand clearly that the Kuna is the legal currency of Croatia, we are not part of the EU. The taxi drivers will take Euros, that's true. However there are more and more signs going up in town stating "NO EUROS." You may want to get a couple of hundred Euros just in case you find you might want to do more than just walk the walls.

Of course Dubrovnik is not part of the EU. However it receives 10,000+ cruise visitors each day and is geared to handling the hordes of Italian, French, Spanish, British, American, Canadian, etc. visitors that descend on Dubrovnik during the cruising season. Can you imagine the long lines if all these visitors had to queue up at the ATM machine in order to obtain Kuna?

The reality is that Euros are accepted almost everywhere in Dubrovnik. Of course if you are going beyond Dubrovnik obtaining Kuna is absolutely necessary.

But for most cruise visitors who will be visiting Dubrovnik and then no other stops in Croatia on their cruise, Euros work just fine and keep the visitor from incurring ATM service fees as well as being stuck with Kuna that was not spent as souvenirs.

When we were docked in Dubrovnik, we walked across the street from the port entrance and got some Kuna from an ATM (I think there is also an ATM in the port terminal building). We than used the Kuna to purchase discount bus tickets (these are sold at news kiosks on some shops) which allowed us to ride the public bus (stops very close to the front of the port terminal building) into town for about $1.30 as opposed to the $12 pp being charged by the cruise line for their shuttle. The public buses drop you at the same location as the cruise line shuttles (at the square right in front of the main entrance to the city) and the buses run every few minutes (actually more often than the cruise line shuttle buses). There is also an internet place across the street and down the block (towards town) from the port where you can get high speed internet for about $3 per hour as opposed to 50 cents per minute for slow service on most ships.

Hank

How many Kuna did you buy? We'll be there for about 7 hours and I was thinking on bringing about 500.

Of course Dubrovnik is not part of the EU. However it receives 10,000+ cruise visitors each day and is geared to handling the hordes of Italian, French, Spanish, British, American, Canadian, etc. visitors that descend on Dubrovnik during the cruising season. Can you imagine the long lines if all these visitors had to queue up at the ATM machine in order to obtain Kuna?

The reality is that Euros are accepted almost everywhere in Dubrovnik. Of course if you are going beyond Dubrovnik obtaining Kuna is absolutely necessary.

But for most cruise visitors who will be visiting Dubrovnik and then no other stops in Croatia on their cruise, Euros work just fine and keep the visitor from incurring ATM service fees as well as being stuck with Kuna that was not spent as souvenirs.

Joe: I understand that you were in Dubrovnik this past May, for a limited amount of time. We do not have 10,000 curise ship passengers arriving on a daily basis. You can check the our local port authority and note that cruise ships are now spread out during the week, a new happening as of this season. Since I am down in the old town every morning and I do take notice of when the large groups of cruisers start arriving in town, I have never seen a line at any of the ATM machines located on the Stradun (main promenade).

What we have noticed is the increasing signs stating "No Euros" being put up in shops, not all but more and more. The other morning I watched as a young American tried to pay for a pastry at Nika bakery with a 50 Euros note. She was nasty to the owner when she was unable to make change in Euros and refused to accept Kuna. She left with her pastry and refused to pay for her purchase. Seems to be happening with more frequency as we begin to enter high season, August and September.

Perhaps someone might want to keep their left over Kuna and use them when they return to Croatia on a land trip. Our Dalmatian coast has 1185 islands and only 65 of them are inhabited. The only way to visit Croatia is by land and sea, not just a few short hours on a cruise ship.

DW and I will be there in the coming weeks and we intend to bring Kunas. What would you say is a reasonable amount to bring for an 7 hour day? Our purchases would include mostly sightseeing and lunch. I was thinking of bringing about 500 Kunas.

DW and I will be there in the coming weeks and we intend to bring Kunas. What would you say is a reasonable amount to bring for an 7 hour day? Our purchases would include mostly sightseeing and lunch. I was thinking of bringing about 500 Kunas.

Amount sounds ok if you believe that you will spend $100 for the day. If you have a very good meal, buy some traditional jewelry and stop for a coffee ice cream at Gradska Kavana you can spend that kind of money. But most of all stop at the bookstore and buy one of the lovely books on Dubrovnik and you will be able to have a remberance of my home.

• 2 weeks later...
Amount sounds ok if you believe that you will spend $100 for the day. If you have a very good meal, buy some traditional jewelry and stop for a coffee ice cream at Gradska Kavana you can spend that kind of money. But most of all stop at the bookstore and buy one of the lovely books on Dubrovnik and you will be able to have a remberance of my home.

Dubrovniktravelady--

Thank you for the suggestion on looking at the book store. I think that is a good idea.

We will get some Kuna to spend since I am pretty sure our son would love to have an ice cream somewhere and we like to sample some local pastry etc. I don't think we will spend $100 a day though. I was shocked to hear the story about the young American lady took the pastry and refused to pay!! How rude and uncivilized is that?

Archived