Kids Crew Hours- did they extend to include dinner too??

Vyhanek

I haven't cruised NCL since they were going to extend the hours of the Kids Crew. Did that actually happen? If so, can you drop the kids at Kids Crew for dinner like you can on the other cruise lines or is it still only one day a week NCL will take them?

We are perhaps cruising in a couple months with a family of rowdy kids. We would all be much happier if they could eat with the Kids Crew like on other cruise lines a few evenings. Thx.

Per the NCL website:

Youth Programs - Hours of Operation (Ages 2 - 12)

Embarkation Day 8:00 P.M. to 10:30 P.M.Sea Day9:00 A.M. to 10:30 P.M.Port Day*Departure from Port to 10:30 P.M.*Hours may vary per ship/itinerary

Here is the link to that page which has lots of other information.

I can't imagine agreeing to go on a cruise with a group that includes "rowdy" kids, but that's just me.

What we have done since the hours are longer, is to take them to the buffet, Blue Lagoon, or room service, and then to kids crew. We then eat as adults in a normal dining venue.

On our last cruise a lady eating alone with her baby (about 6-8 months) sat in the dining room and let her daughter squeal for most of the dinner. She was quiet when she had her bottle. I have kids and they cruise with me, but I don't let them ruin everyone's meal. The people next to us could not wait to leave and were asking the waiter to get their food faster so they could leave. It was annoying.

The new extended hours are great for not making my kids eat in a dining room where they do not want to be. Have fun!!!

We were able to drop off the DS after a quick bite then head off to dinner. The Kid's crew was open till 10-10:30 on the Jewel in April.

To the OP,

You described the kids as rowdy, I'm sure you meant something nicer, like "a handful". If they are tough to handle, don't forget to tip the Kid's crew staff for making your vacation more enjoyable. Don't forget alot of parents trust their kids to the staff and want a safe and enjoyable environment for their well behaved children.

Just re-read the opriginal post;

The OP is traveling with a family with "rowdy" kids. Don't flame the OP, just let him know to tell the parents to handle the situation appropriately.

Thank you. I have been on at least 10 NCL cruises so I know all about tipping the kids crew. And just to inform you, the kids crew employees are salaried employees and are paid nearly equal to that of a first year starting teacher in most states if you include their room and board. So yes I tip for my very well behaved children but I certainly don't feel the need to leave a huge tip.

Yes we are traveling with rowdy kids, but if you prefer the term "handful" then call them what you want but they are not unlike lots and lots of other kids on any given cruise ship. They just aren't kids you want to be dining next to you in Le Bistro if you can imagine. That's why I asked if they were extending the hours like they advertised. I love on Princess and on Carnival how you can take your kids to the kids crew and they take the kids up to the buffet. Not one night but every night this is available. It makes a nice adult dinner easier on all of us.....including the other cruisers.

I wish they would take them every night for dinner, that would be great! I am just so happy they take them at all hours now. We do not drop them off all the time, but for dinner they are there and it is their choice. It used to be closed for dinner and it was not good for our family. LOL

Hi

We are looking at NCL as a possible cruise line when Ocean Village (our very laid back British cruise line leaves us for Australia)

We had our best ever holiday on OV this year and are converted to cruising but the kids freedom helped us to all enjoy the cruise.

Our 13 year old son often ate in the buffet with 20-30 other teens he made friends with - they were often there at 11pm! Our daughter who is 9 would often eat a few tables away from us with two friends she made and felt very grown up. We had a few family meals together but this set up also this gave us time to have a few meals as a couple.

Does NCL have the same sort of atmosphere - kids can eat with their newly made friends whenever they want? (Sometimes the youth leaders were there and sometimes not.

Thanks

Hi

We are looking at NCL as a possible cruise line when Ocean Village (our very laid back British cruise line leaves us for Australia)

We had our best ever holiday on OV this year and are converted to cruising but the kids freedom helped us to all enjoy the cruise.

Our 13 year old son often ate in the buffet with 20-30 other teens he made friends with - they were often there at 11pm! Our daughter who is 9 would often eat a few tables away from us with two friends she made and felt very grown up. We had a few family meals together but this set up also this gave us time to have a few meals as a couple.

Does NCL have the same sort of atmosphere - kids can eat with their newly made friends whenever they want? (Sometimes the youth leaders were there and sometimes not.

Thanks

My son has only been in the youngest age group; so I can only give general info not what we experienced. For your 13 y/o he would be able to sign himself out from the Kid's Club and go wherever on the ship you allow. Have seen the teens weekly schedule and they have planned activities that start at 11 PM; like the White Hot Party. Your 9 y/o daughter would not yet be old enough to sign herself out of Kid's Club and she would be in a different group from her brother. You could sign her out a let her go to dinner or wherever. Of course in the buffet you are free to sit anywhere and on some (most?) NCL ships there is a separate sitting area and food line for the kids in the buffet. Parents are allowed to sit in this area, but you are not required and could sit nearby.

On some sea days during meal times is a hour or so where it is Family Activity time in Kid's Club. This means that a parent must come to that activity. What we do on those days is take our son out of Kid's Club and to his choice for dinner. He usually chooses the buffet or the 24 diner (Blue Lagoon on the Dawn). Occasionally he will choose room service or ask to go to a MDR with us. If he chooses anything besides the MDR we get him back from eating after the Family Activity time and then go to dinner by ourselves. For port days the Kid's Club usually opens within the hour after the ship leaves the port. So during this time we get our names on the MDR wait list and feed our son before sending him off to the Kid's Club. He also enjoys getting a late night snack in the buffet or diner after the free part of Kid's Club has ended. For the first child it is $5 per hour from 10:30 PM to 1:30 AM in Kid's Club.

Archived