Nanaimo Car Rental

We're thinking of renting a car in Nanaimo on September 21st. Has anyone done this previously? What rental car company did you use? Does anyone know where the rental companies are in relation to the pier? Thanks!:confused:

We're thinking of renting a car in Nanaimo on September 21st. Has anyone done this previously? What rental car company did you use? Does anyone know where the rental companies are in relation to the pier? Thanks!:confused:

I wouldn't recommend doing a rental out of the airport, as YCD is about 10 miles south of town. I would assume that looking up for each of the car rental offices will give you a downtown location

There is no "pier" per se in Nanaimo. You will arrive in town via tender. I'm thinking that you will disembark in the harbour by the Bastion (landmark building, looks sort of like a squat lighthouse). There are only two car rental companies right downtown - Budget and Rent a Wreck. We used to steer our guests towards Rent-a-Wreck but, their prices lately have been in the same league as the major places so, if the price is the same - go with Budget (Toll Free: 1-888-368-7368 Email: info@bcbudget.com). I'm not sure how mobile you are but if you were willing to walk a couple of blocks you could pick the car up from the office. I'm not sure if they do a pick-up service but, it's certainly worth a call to enquire.

There are lots of ways to while away the time in downtown Nanaimo itself. Is there anything in particular you were driving to see? The harbour is stunning with its views of the islands and the mainland. You can take a 10-minute ferry ride over to Newcastle Island and walk there or, across to Protection Island for a stroll and some refreshment at the floating Dinghy Dock Pub. The shops, galleries and restaurants/cafes/pubs on Commercial street and in the Old City Quarter rival anything in Victoria IMHO. There's got to be some reason that Pamela Anderson, John Travolta et al are seen in and around the harbour area on a regular basis.

Enjoy your stay in our lovely, lovely part of the world!

Thanks Nice Family for all the information! :D I noticed that the ship is offering excursions to Englishman River Falls and Little Qualicun Waterfalls at Provincial Park. Would you know how far a drive that would be? Also how far is Port Alberni? For a first time visitor would I be better off just walking around town? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Thanks Nice Family for all the information! :D I noticed that the ship is offering excursions to Englishman River Falls and Little Qualicun Waterfalls at Provincial Park. Would you know how far a drive that would be? Also how far is Port Alberni? For a first time visitor would I be better off just walking around town? ;)

Thanks for your help!

Port Alberni? Do you have relatives there? I'm not going to go any further with this bit at the risk of offending someone.....suffice it to say, unless you have a reason to go, there's no reason to go.

There are so many great places within a 40-50 minute drive of Nanaimo. You could easily do Englishman River Falls to Little Qualicum River Falls to Cathedral Grove (a truly awe-inspiring stand of ancient trees) with a stop at Coombs Country Market for an ice cream, some shopping and to gawp at the Goats on the Roof - yes, the roof is grass and there are goats on it, munching away - all in a round-trip of 6 or 7 hours. I'd come back via Qualicum Beach which is a beautiful stretch of beach with lovely views. It's all easy driving and very little traffic. That is one way to go, for sure.

Then, there's the walking 'round town option. It all depends on what you like and what you're looking for from your cruise port experiences. Are you going to Alaska? Will you be doing lots of outdoorsy things there? You may want to mix things up a bit by staying in town in Nanaimo if you're going to be heading out of town on your Alaska stops. We've been to Alaska twice now and the first time, we headed out of the towns in most cases. The second time we just enjoyed strolling around Ketchican, Skagway and Juneau.

In my opinion (which you asked for) and from my experiences with the Alaskan ports, Nanaimo is much more appealing because it is not a "cruise" port. The shops and strolls and parks and cafes are there for the people of Nanaimo. They do not exist specifically to cater to the tourist market although we do love to welcome all tourists and, each time a ship arrives, all the businesses put out the welcome mat. There are the aforementionned spectacular views (if the weather's nice) and the bustling harbour. I live about 20 minutes drive out of town and don't get in nearly enough. When I do head there, I make sure I allow myself a full day to completely relax and take in all the things I enjoy - the shopping, eating, strolling, the occasional spa visit. I truly feel as if I'm on holiday in my own town, every time I spend the day downtown. It's a very compact place so, easy walking, although a bit hilly.

It's up to you. You won't go wrong either way. Please don't hestitate to ask more questions - as you might have gathered, Nanaimo and Vancouver Island are favourite subjects of mine :).

Nanaimo is the first stop on our cruise to Los Angeles. Our second stop is Victoria. We have been to Victoria (and Alaska) a number of times but have never stopped at Nanaimo. I think it sounds like I would be better off sticking around the town for my first visit. Hopefully we will visit again someday and can do the area drive. I envy you that you live in such a beautiful location. I also love my area of the world, Southern California. Wouldn't move if you paid me! I do love to visit other beautiful places though.;)

You said "It's a very compact place so, easy walking, although a bit hilly". Can you describe the hilly part? :eek: My 88 year old mother might be with us in a wheelchair. Are they gradual hills where we could push her up, or is there enough flat area for her to enjoy? :o

Thanks again for your help!

Was at Englishman River Falls and "Goat's on Roof" as the shopping bags aall say now a few weeks back. Easy drive. A great market with more and more surrounding buildings. Best tourist trap I been at in a long while...AND they have good stuff also. :)

Cathedral Groove I also recommend.

You said "It's a very compact place so, easy walking, although a bit hilly". Can you describe the hilly part? :eek: My 88 year old mother might be with us in a wheelchair. Are they gradual hills where we could push her up, or is there enough flat area for her to enjoy? :o

Thanks again for your help!

You should be fine with your mother along the seafront and on Commercial Street. The only challenge would be getting up the hill to the Old City Quarter. I've heard that they sometimes have "Nanaimo Ambassadors" greeting cruisers so, I'd suggest you seek one of them out and ask if there is any transport available that day. You could always get a cab, should cost you all of $5-7 depending on the drop charge. If you don't get up there, don't worry. You're not missing anything more than a nice collection of shops and restaurants and there are plenty of those along the seafront and on Commercial Street to keep you busy.

If you're looking to spend a quiet half-hour or so, I highly recommend our Library. It's in town, off Commercial Street, at a place called Krall Plaza (right behind the Port Theatre). They have an enormous selection of magazines in the centre, with couches and chairs available so that you can settle in and enjoy a little read. There are also a lot of newspapers on the upper level. It is really a great resource in a lovely light-filled building in the centre of town.

You should also take a look at Gallery 223 and the Nanaimo Art Gallery - both have great collections of artwork by various artists. If you're looking to save money do not, I repeat, do not, go into Flying Fish. It is guaranteed to get you spending. There's also the most wonderful "travel" shop that's just opened. It's almost directly across Commercial Street from Krall Plaza. Sorry, can't remember what it's called but it has a fantastic collection of travel clothing, gadgets, shoes etc. Also, if you're a book lover you'll be in heaven if you go a couple of shopfronts along and take a look at the used bookshop that's right on the corner (beside a travel agency). There are actually 3 good used bookstores along that stretch of the street.

We have just completed a brand new Conference Centre, also on Commercial Street, which now contains the Nanaimo Museum. I think the Museum is still a work in progress but, it might be worth a look.

As long as the weather's nice, nothing beats just strolling the seafront walkway. Don't worry, you can't get lost. Just head along the path, away from the marina, and keep going. You'll end up at Maffeo Sutton Park then continue on, over a footbridge, and on towards Newcastle Channel. The path eventually ends about 1.5 miles outside town. It can take you as little as 50 minutes or as much as 2 hours depending on your pace, to cover the whole route.

Gee, I think I'd better schedule a trip downtown for myself this week-end! Actually, I might be there tonight - the Snowbirds (precision flying team) - are going to be doing their thing over the harbour!

Archived