Tulum tour out of Calica

dsnygrl

On Carnivals web site there is a Tulum tour and a Tulum express tour listed. Anyone know what the difference between the two is other than it looks like the non express one gives you a snack and a drink.

On Carnivals web site there is a Tulum tour and a Tulum express tour listed. Anyone know what the difference between the two is other than it looks like the non express one gives you a snack and a drink.

I don't know the difference...but the express might be for shorter port stays? You might check the description for amount of time at Tulum - from Cozumel, we had about 45 minutes guided tour and about 1 hour "own time" to explore further and use the beach (no changing facilities). The longer you can stay and both explore more and get some beach time, IMO the better. In the Parking lot there are shops to buy food (including a subway!), snacks and drinks if you want. ken

Thanks for the information about the subway, I am traveling with kids so that is very useful. Both tours are listed under the excursions that come up just for that cruise so the times in port should not matter. Both tours also list the time as being 5 hours long so that is where I was lost.

Thanks for the information about the subway, I am traveling with kids so that is very useful. Both tours are listed under the excursions that come up just for that cruise so the times in port should not matter. Both tours also list the time as being 5 hours long so that is where I was lost.

I checked the Excursion descriptions- they ARE pretty similar, the only real difference being the "snack". You could call the 800 number and ask for the "Excursions Desk" and ask about the difference, but I've never found them to be at all responsive. The $70 tour more closely describes the tour we received. The tour normally stops at a (rip-off) Rest-stop Souvineer Shop on the main road for 30-40 minutes; maybe the "express' doesn't do so???

The Ruins are more impressive and extensive than generally described. In summer it's apparently VERY hot there, we were there in February and it was pleasant. The Beach is very scenic, no place to change or shower. Bathrooms are "$1 tip to the attendant". I wouldn't necessarily recommend Subway or any prepared food there!!!!!

ken

Thanks Ken, never knew you could call and talk to the excursions desk, good idea.

I went there many years ago and thought the kids should see it this time around. I wanted to do it out of Calica instead of Cozumel because the tour is shorter and I thought with them it would be best. Last I was there it was summer and miserable hot. We are going in September so I expect it to be hot then too.

The only thing I would dare try at a subway there would be maybe packaged chips and bottled drinks. :)

If you want to see Tulum from Calica, I would highly recommend taking an Edventure Tour. For a very comparable cost, you could have a private tour and customize it to see other things like the Turtle Sanctuary, snorkeling in a cenote Dos Ojos, lunch in Akumal, or snorkel in a lagoon Yal-ku. We actually did all of those things in one stop and it was a day we will never forget. Our guide, Ricardo, was fantastic. I was overwhelmed at all that we saw that day. If you go to the Calica thread, there are numerous posts about Edventure Tours, or you can go to their website and read their guestbook for more reviews.

Archived