What to use the crew for....

laurabegorrah

So, after a few weeks here, I see a lot of people raving about their crew "Loved our room stewards!" "<insert name here> is the best CD out there" "Our butler became our BFF"

Cruise Director, Butler, Concierge, Hotel Manager. Who the heck are these people, how do you get to know them and what should I be asking them to do for me on the cruise? lol I know that some positions are room specific/assigned and some take care of everyone on the ship. I'm usually a pretty keep to myself kinda gal, but if I do have questions or requests, I want to be sure I go to the right people.

Thanks in advance to all for what I'm sure are going to be some interesting/amusing suggestions!

Burtler and Cocierge are only with full suites (not mini suite category).

Butler takes care of things in your cabin and "supervises" the room stewards. The butler can bring you food, snacks, DVDs, etc. Stewards clean the cabin, make the beds, restock the mini bar, filll the ice bucket, restock consumables.

Concierge takes care of things outside your cabin...restaurant reservations, priority tender service, reserved theater seating, etc. They can help you with your shipboard account and be your go-between with the reception desk.

Bar tenders and servers....work on commission and tips against a montly drawn

Food servers, room stewards and behind the scenes staff are part of the incentive program that is partially funded by the Daily Service Charge. Burtlers, bar staff, concierge, Kids Crew staff and spa staff are not included. If you don't have a suite, you would use regular room service (menu hidden in the NCL information in your cabin) and a small tip is appropriate for the person bringing your food and taking the dirty dishes back.

How do you get the "best" from them?:

• Smile
  • Ask where they are from and share infomation about the country
  • Speak in a normal tone of voice
  • Treat each with the respect and interest that another human being deserves

Having worked in both retail and food service - so for me, respect and friendliness are a given.

I guess I'm more curious about what the CD and Hotel Manager (I think that's what I've seen them called) do. Why do they make such a big impression with many cruisers?

Burtler and Cocierge are only with full suites (not mini suite category).

Butler takes care of things in your cabin and "supervises" the room stewards. The butler can bring you food, snacks, DVDs, etc. Stewards clean the cabin, make the beds, restock the mini bar, filll the ice bucket, restock consumables.

Concierge takes care of things outside your cabin...restaurant reservations, priority tender service, reserved theater seating, etc. They can help you with your shipboard account and be your go-between with the reception desk.

Bar tenders and servers....work on commission and tips against a montly drawn

There is an automatic 15% service charge (tip) added to your bar bill. If you choose to tip extra you may.

Food servers, room stewards and behind the scenes staff are part of the incentive program that is partially funded by the Daily Service Charge. Burtlers, bar staff, concierge, Kids Crew staff and spa staff (there is an automatic 18% service charge (tip) for the spa crew and you may tip extra if you like) are not included. If you don't have a suite, you would use regular room service (menu hidden in the NCL information in your cabin) and a small tip is appropriate for the person bringing your food and taking the dirty dishes back.

How do you get the "best" from them?:

• Smile
  • Ask where they are from and share infomation about the country
  • Speak in a normal tone of voice
  • Treat each with the respect and interest that another human being deserves

I agree with bakerintn 100%, especially the respect and interest part. I added 2 items (in red) that you might not be aware of.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Archived