Seattle souvenir shopping recommendations?

harryfat1

Hi,

We will be in Seattle in less than 72 hours for one day prior to the Alaska cruise (Yes, it sounds good even as I type this). For the most part, everything is set from all the info I have gathered from the boards, the only thing I am missing is what are recommended souvenir shopping places in downtown Seattle?

I have done several searches, but the only thing I can find are shopping recommendations for Alaska, but no info on Seattle souvenir shopping. I am sure many people shop in Seattle pre and post cruise, but maybe it’s like the crazy Aunt Millie living in the basement – we all know she’s there, but we don’t talk about it.

I am not looking for mall shopping to buy stuff I can buy at home. I am looking for the pure 100% tourist thing to buy the obligatory “I love Seattle” t-shirt for the people back at home (including Aunt Millie). I know Pike Place Market area must have tons of shops for this, but just wondering if there is a super “Tourist Mecca” store iwithin the downtown area that people have visited that is highly recommended or we will should visit any old mom and pop t-shirt stand as we walk around town?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I love to shop (as you can tell!) so here are some of my favorite local places for gifts:

Raven's Nest Treasures (in Pike Place Market) has some interesting Indian art and antiques, some expensive and some less so. For less expensive stuff, try Ye Olde Curiosity Shop down on the waterfront, on Alaska Way. They have all kinds of souvenirs, from junk to a few better-quality things. Be sure to say hi to Sylvester while you're there.

Blown glass is a very popular local art form. You probably can't afford to take home your very own Dale Chihuly original, but never mind--he doesn't blow his own glass anymore, anyhow. There are always a few glass artists in the Market, down towards the north end in the day stalls with the other arts and crafts (that's a good place to look for other local craft-y souvenirs as well). You can get some pretty holiday ornaments, sun catchers, and the like for a pretty reasonable price.

There is a watercolor artist, Sarah Clementson, who has a stall at south end of the Market, near DeLaurenti's. She has some nice cards and prints of Seattle scenes and every year she does a really pretty Seattle calendar.

Two stores that specialize in Seattle and Washington gifts are Made in Washington (in Post Alley at the Market), and Simply Seattle (First Avenue and Pike Street, across from the Market). A favorite store of mine--not specifically Seattle or Washington-themed, but with a lot of interesting local artists' stuff--is Fireworks Gallery. There's one in Westlake Center mall downtown, and one at 210 First Avenue South in Pioneer Square.

Wandering around Pioneer Square is always fun. There are some great, unique shops there--expensive galleries, sure, but also some more reasonable stuff.

Happy hunting!

I love to shop (as you can tell!) so here are some of my favorite local places for gifts:

Raven's Nest Treasures (in Pike Place Market) has some interesting Indian art and antiques, some expensive and some less so. For less expensive stuff, try Ye Olde Curiosity Shop down on the waterfront, on Alaska Way. They have all kinds of souvenirs, from junk to a few better-quality things. Be sure to say hi to Sylvester while you're there.

Blown glass is a very popular local art form. You probably can't afford to take home your very own Dale Chihuly original, but never mind--he doesn't blow his own glass anymore, anyhow. There are always a few glass artists in the Market, down towards the north end in the day stalls with the other arts and crafts (that's a good place to look for other local craft-y souvenirs as well). You can get some pretty holiday ornaments, sun catchers, and the like for a pretty reasonable price.

There is a watercolor artist, Sarah Clementson, who has a stall at south end of the Market, near DeLaurenti's. She has some nice cards and prints of Seattle scenes and every year she does a really pretty Seattle calendar.

Two stores that specialize in Seattle and Washington gifts are Made in Washington (in Post Alley at the Market), and Simply Seattle (First Avenue and Pike Street, across from the Market). A favorite store of mine--not specifically Seattle or Washington-themed, but with a lot of interesting local artists' stuff--is Fireworks Gallery. There's one in Westlake Center mall downtown, and one at 210 First Avenue South in Pioneer Square.

Wandering around Pioneer Square is always fun. There are some great, unique shops there--expensive galleries, sure, but also some more reasonable stuff.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the info. You are the shopping expert. I will print this out and take it with us in Seattle.

The hard part will be trying to get my wife and mother in law out of the stores and still make it to the ship prior to her sailing away…

Archived