Avia Hotel Long Beach??

coolcat12

I found a good rate on the new Avia hotel in LB and I am thinking of booking it for a one night precruise. It seems like it is within walking distance of restaurants etc. It's brand new so reviews are scarce.

Any local cruise critics familiar with the area out there that can help me out? CJW? Anybody?:)

I've stayed in LB a few times so I am familiar with the main landmarks ie aquarium, villiage etc.

Obviously, I am not a local, but I booked this hotel for our pre-cruise night in November. It sounds fantastic-we love food and wine, and they have tastings every night, along with what sounds like a great wine bar. It didn't even open until this week.

I called the hotel, and they said we'll be able to walk dragging our luggage to the terminal. There is a walkway apparently. It seems to be right by all of the action as well.

I'm looking forward to it.

Missy

Missy, I did book the Avia. It looks nice and the price was great.

I have been to LB a few times and I really don't think you will be able to walk to the cruise terminal from their address. I might be completely wrong but it looks to be about a 1 1/2 to 2 miles. Take a peek on google maps.

I am sailing out of San Pedro but we will have our car.

Great location...

There really aren't many hotels in Long Beach from which you would walk to the pier--maybe just the Queen Mary--and I'd rather stay in a real hotel...

This one is walking distance from most of the shops, sights and restaurants...and there's the free Passport Shuttle to take you around the area if you want...If there's not a free shuttle for you to the ship, a taxi ride should be short and cheap...

I would certainly take a chance on booking this one...

Missy: Whew. I was worried about you walking with all your luggage. LOL! I hate non-answers such as "sure, you could walk...." ummm yeah...you could...but... you would have blisters and a hernia or two....;)

I booked it and my cruise is next month so I guess I will be the official cruise critic "tester". They have free internet so I can even post from the hotel.

Thanks Steve! (I knew one of the trusted locals would have info) The hotel looks really nice and hip. Guess I will find out.

• 2 months later...

I am at the Avia now and one word describes it: WOW! It is adjacent to The Pike, where there are shops, restaurants and a movie theater complex. There's a bridge over the main street (Shoreline Drive, I think) that leads to the Aquarium and eventually to Shoreline Village - there is a tourist info booth at the foot of the bridge and they can give directions, maps, etc.

The hotel is spotless. Room has a minibar, coffee maker, ironing board, iron, hairdryer, desk and bathrobes. The bathroom is amazing, huge shower with small containers of shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer. There's a room divider between the sitting area and sleeping area, with a flat screen tv built into a dividing wall, on a swivel to you can view from the sofa or bed. I usually prefer a firm mattress, but the plush mattress was just what I needed after a long travel day. I did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment about the food. We ate at Parker's Landing, and the Seafood Cobb Salad was awesome.

The staff is outstanding - pleasant, helpful - it seems like the owners went out of their way to hire the best of the best! I emailed the about 10 days ago to ask about transport to San Pedro for my cruise, and they arranged for a car service ($30). They said a cab would be about $25, but I decided to splurge! It is not walking distance to the Carnival pier.

It's a great location, I don't think you will be disappointed.

I'm off to sail on Mariner of the Seas today, so don't reply with questions - I will be at sea for the next seven days!

Liz

Archived