St. John's, Newfoundland

• 4 months later...
We have a stop there in mid-September from 10am to 6pm and was thinkinking abount renting a car for a scenic drive. What is anyone's thoughts or suggestions about that? Is a car rental agency close to dock, where to go, and is this even good to do? Help!

Sorry I saw this so late, I know you have long since completed your cruise, and there will be no more cruises to St John's Newfoundland till next summer, but here is my advice; for what it is worth right now. Maybe someone is already planning a summer cruise for 2010. There is plenty to see and do within easy walking distance of the dock. Lots of shops and nice restaurants of all kinds. There is also I believe transportation available to "Cabot Tower"/"Signal Hill", of Marconi/message fame. There is a great view from there of the entire city, but it can be very windy, and sometimes cool. If you do rent a car, one of the nicest and most scenic drives are the "Marine Drive", you see some beautiful little coves and rocky beaches, communities such as Logy Bay, Middle Cove, and Torbay. If you go out here, just as well to go on to Pouch Cove. I know this because it is my homeland. I miss it, but I can close my eyes and see it all in an instant! Hope this of help to someone who is going there on one of the very few cruises during the summer months. :)

Archived