Live from Eurodam Transatlantic 11-27 August

RetiredMustang

The weather forecast for New York for tomorrow is Partly Cloudy and Warm.

I wonder what time the Eurodam will sail in? I work near Battery Park and could see it come in but don't want to wait from 5 am!

I was in my office on 27th and 12th Ave at 7:15 AM and it was already in port. I was hoping to see it come down the river, too. It's leaving today for a 10 day Canada/New England trip, so you should see it this afternoon.

I was in my office on 27th and 12th Ave at 7:15 AM and it was already in port. I was hoping to see it come down the river, too. It's leaving today for a 10 day Canada/New England trip, so you should see it this afternoon.

I did not get up early enough to see it come in. I hope to get a chance to see it sail past Battery Park this afternoon.

Thursday, Aug. 27, 1:45 P.M. EDT

All,

We were up early enough to see the Statue of Liberty as we came in (DW also was early enough to see the passage under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge). A nice sail up the river and right into the dock.

O.K., one more advantge to the suite life. We waltzed off even before they started announcing colors and numbers, snagged our bags and grabbed a cab to Penn Station right away. We bought Amtrak tickets, waited about a half an hour for the next train to DC. We arrived at D.C. Union Station about 1:15 and caught another cab and were home and back online by 1:45.

The terminal is much nicer than it was in 2007 when we came back from a Panama Canal cruise. Of course, being among the first off probably helped make it look nicer.

It's kind of sad to know the cruise is over, and to look back on how fast it seemed to go. But, we have solace in the knowledge that we are already booked on Noordam in February. A wise veteran cruiser told us many years ago that the way to deal with end of cruise crisis is: "Never embark on a cruise until you've got the next one booked." Good advice. We hope always to be able to follow it.

Thank you all for coming with us on our adventure, and thanks for all of the positive encouragement and feedback. Ii'll close this thread now by quoting the speech we've heard for many times on the last night of a HAL cruise -- sayonara, au revoir, arrivederci, bye y'all and, ...

Hasta la vista, Baby!

Dave

Dave,

I've just passed an entire morning re-living our wonderful cruise through your excellent and detailed reports. Actually, you pointed out a number of things that we either wondered about or that we had missed altogether. I feel it a privilege to have met you and I'll be looking forward to following or joining you on future cruises. I feel this was a 2-for-1...the cruise and now the review.

I was feeling guilty about being inside while the grass is getting longer but DW just reported that it's too wet from last night's dew to cut :D.

Until we meet again...you're an exceptional raconteur.

Trashhauler (Dale & Marilyn)

Trashhauler,

Thanks much for the kind comments. I was surprised to see the thread moved back to the first page of the forum, but it was a great excuse to re-live that great cruise again! We've taken a dozen or so cruises with HAL, and that has to have been among the best we've done.

(The great thing about the wet grass excuse is that it gets even more plausible as the grass gets longer ... )

All the best. Maybe we'll be together on some Dam ship again some day.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I saved your blog for an overcast PNW day and just re-lived the entire cruise. Wow! Thank you for the great blog and pictures. I printed it all off to share with my 99 year old grandma. She likes to travel vicariously these days. Enjoyed meeting you and your wife and hope to see you on another Dam ship.

Lisa

Archived