Exchange USD to Peso

CRUISING71

Don't bother exchanging money. Take small bills for small purchases or taxi fares. Pay for larger items with an ATM or credit card. That way you will receive less than a dollar back as change. Even if the change is in pesos, at the official rate of about 13 pesos to the dollar and the street rate of 10 pesos to the dollar, the amount involved isn't worth the hassle.

Respect Mexico, and yourself . . . and use Pesos when in port. You'll pay less for just about anything when you use the national currency. ATM machines are plentiful and you'll likely receive the best rate of exchange when you obtain the Pesos that way. But, if another exchange method is more convenient at the time you won't lose much in the transfer/exchange of funds.

I agree, just use dollars, you really don't want a pocket full of pesos to bring home. Using dollars is not disrepectful, just practical. You will only be at each port for a few hours, unless you really go crazy, you probably won't be spending that much anyway. I would exchange if I was staying in Mexico for a week or two, but otherwise no.

In Mexico, the locals have to exchange there dollars for peso, and since most work in the service industry, it sometimes is difficult to get to a bank during bank hours. You also will get a better price on EVERYTHING you buy. Exchange your dollars at your first port of call, and you will be good to go for the rest of your trip. If you have any left over at the end of your vacation, just remember, you will be ready for your next trip. Have a great cruise!!

We make it a practice of using the local currancy of whatever country we are in. We use ATM's to withdraw local currancy and always receive a much better exchange rate then using the currancy exchange places.

LOL I was in NYC and tried paying a bill using Canadian currancy, the bartender pointed out I was in The States, not Canada...I laughed and said I was just trying to see if I could use my local currancy in the States just as soo many Americans do when they are out of country. He totally *got it* and he said he always used local currancy. Actually a few places that I go to in Canada no longer accept USD.

In PV, the true local does NOT prefer USDS...many of the vendors you meet live in places not in the tourist area and those areas do not accept USD. Many banks there will not exchange USD to pesos and bills are paid in pesos. If you insist on using pesos PLEASE do so with a very favourable exchange rate for the vendor....after all they have to stand in line to exchange the money at a reduced cost.

I think Cabo is sightly different there??

Any pesos left over are the start of the next vacation:) We try to come home with 400 pesos.

Cabo is very different and most restaurants and stores will quote you in both dollars and pesos. Many of the locals pay their rent in US dollars and have to go to the bank to exchange so they are happy to receive either. The cab drivers prefer US as do most of the beach vendors. We always exchange when we are go there to stay to get the best rate, but by the end of our trip if we have run out of pesos, we use US dollars for the remaining days. If you don't care about the difference in the exchange rate, go ahead and use dollars in Cabo.

Don't bother exchanging money. Take small bills for small purchases or taxi fares. Pay for larger items with an ATM or credit card. That way you will receive less than a dollar back as change. Even if the change is in pesos, at the official rate of about 13 pesos to the dollar and the street rate of 10 pesos to the dollar, the amount involved isn't worth the hassle.

I agree, just use dollars, you really don't want a pocket full of pesos to bring home. Using dollars is not disrepectful, just practical. You will only be at each port for a few hours, unless you really go crazy, you probably won't be spending that much anyway. I would exchange if I was staying in Mexico for a week or two, but otherwise no.

In Mexico, the locals have to exchange there dollars for peso, and since most work in the service industry, it sometimes is difficult to get to a bank during bank hours. You also will get a better price on EVERYTHING you buy. Exchange your dollars at your first port of call, and you will be good to go for the rest of your trip. If you have any left over at the end of your vacation, just remember, you will be ready for your next trip. Have a great cruise!!

We make it a practice of using the local currancy of whatever country we are in. We use ATM's to withdraw local currancy and always receive a much better exchange rate then using the currancy exchange places.

LOL I was in NYC and tried paying a bill using Canadian currancy, the bartender pointed out I was in The States, not Canada...I laughed and said I was just trying to see if I could use my local currancy in the States just as soo many Americans do when they are out of country. He totally *got it* and he said he always used local currancy. Actually a few places that I go to in Canada no longer accept USD.

In PV, the true local does NOT prefer USDS...many of the vendors you meet live in places not in the tourist area and those areas do not accept USD. Many banks there will not exchange USD to pesos and bills are paid in pesos. If you insist on using pesos PLEASE do so with a very favourable exchange rate for the vendor....after all they have to stand in line to exchange the money at a reduced cost.

I think Cabo is sightly different there??

Any pesos left over are the start of the next vacation:) We try to come home with 400 pesos.

The great thing about CC is you always get to hear all sides of every question. :) The final choice is yours to make, but all the info is available to help you.

Where can you go to get the money exchange in PV? would the ship do it for you?

The need/desirabilty/political correctness for using pesos while traveling in Mexico is a hot-button subject. There are plenty of threads where it is often cussed and discussed.

To answer your questions ...

2) The ship does not offer a currency exchange service.

1) We use nothing but pesos while in Vallarta as resort/hotel guests because it is the most cost effective way for us to travel. Cruise ship passengers may or may not find value in getting/using pesos. Like the US, ATM's are found in nearly all grocery stores.

Reference this aerial view of the port area. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=20.6530751&lon=-105.2419209&z=17&l=0&m=b

WalMart & Sam's club are located in the upper right, Soriano's is located bottom center. These terminals are tied to major local banks and have very reasonable terminal fees (under 75 cents USD).

Enjoy!

We recently sailed on RC's Mariner of the Seas, and they did have currency exchange on the ship but the rate was horrible. I was glad we already had pesos. They came in handy in all of the ports. We used buses to get around, and they only took pesos. We also seemed to get better deals at some of the vendors than if we had paid dollars, based on what we were quoted in terms of dollars/pesos for the same item.

When using our credit cards, we got a good exchange rate, but they also charged a fee (most credit card companies it's around 3% of the transaction) for processing. If you plan on using your card overseas, call the card company first because many of them have a "fraud protection" block.

If you have an American Express account and an AMEX store nearby, go there for the exchange. You'll get a good rate, and they will either waive the fees or they'll be really low.

Thank for the all the information...now...we need to decide to get the exchange here before we go or go to the ATM when we get there.

The question is does anyone know how much the bank charge for using the ATM?

Thanks,

Tibbie

Ot depends on the bank, check with yours.

Thank for the all the information...now...we need to decide to get the exchange here before we go or go to the ATM when we get there.

The question is does anyone know how much the bank charge for using the ATM?

Thanks,

Tibbie

As has already been mentioned, there's no uniform fee charged - by all banks - for use of an ATM machine. Some home-city bank cards don't charge you a fee, but the Mexican bank whose machine you're using might - and then there's the "foreign currency transaction fee" most banks tack-on. Even with the "fees" I believe we still get a better rate - overall - when using an ATM machine to get the cash, and those machines are so convenient to use. You also pay fees when you use your credit card, outside of the home country - also a "foreign currency transaction fee." The banks/credit card issuers get us every time we turn around! Unless you're considering making many small transactions during the cruise, the fees should be a "non issue" because they'll be relatively small.

Most ATM machines here do not charge you a fee but your bank probably will. Call your bank and ask their International ATM fees as well if they have any affiliate bank ATMS in Mexico. If you have a PAYPAL credit/debit card, they only charge $1.00 US plus a small % fee. Usually the best rates/easier type of card to use when traveling.

You can use US Dollars as mentioned but you will usually pay 20 to 20% more than if you used Pesos. Most smaller shops, restaurants and bars in Puerto Vallarta DO NOT take credit cards, only larger places and tourist places.

The people and places who "Love" US Dollars as mentioned love to take them because they can make a hefty profit on people who insist on using them. So, in reality, yes, they take them but they also "take" you along the way.

Archived