Don't forget to tell NCL that you're a union member

ebkallen

For our Jade B2B last January we received a 20% union discount PLUS $100. OBC for a special union promo NCL was running on our Mediterranean cruises. We had already booked when someone on our roll call board wrote about just receiving it. We were able to call our travel agent and have the discount and the OBC applied to our sailings. I couldn't believe how much we saved. It made a fantastic trip even sweeter for us!

Wow they've really pared back the Union Discounts. I just looked at the current spreadsheet and most are about 10% right now. It was 20% for our Jewel sailing, and NCLA was 30%, now down to 10%.

Better 10% than nothing though.

I was told by my PCC that they had revamped how they are doing the military and union discounts. I had seen those higher percentages in the past also....but now they are based on how many days out you are sailing. Currently the savings are 5% AND 10%.

We used this on our last cruise and saved 10% per guest in our stateroom. However, since the program has changed, I'm a little confused. The union website lists 5-10-15% discounts based on how many days out you book. But then NCL has the spreadsheet that now only lists discounts from 5-10%. So, is it the 5, 10 or 15% based on days out PLUS the 5 or 10% on the list, or is it just one or another? I'm confused.

We made a reservation on Sunday night, wanting to catch the end of the sale (although it appears it didn't matter, as prices are still the same). I called NCL yesterday and the rep said to fax in the union card and "if a discount applies to our cruise, it will be discounted as long as I fax it within 48 hours of the reservation." We faxed it in today, so we'll see.

When I booked directly through NCL the agent had asked me if anyone sailing was a union member plus we also got another discount on top of that because my husband is 55 so we got 2 discounts.

And you might get a Latitudes discount as well, next time you book :D

-Marty

I've got two cruises booked and both say PGUP, even though I'm NOT a union member and told my TA that I'm NOT a union member.

Think this is gonna be a problem for me at the pier?:confused:

"Probably not", but it could. I don't know what ID they require at embarkation for the Union Discount...BUT for the military discount they say I'll need my DD214. I always bring it, but have never been asked for it.

There have been cases reported in the somewhat distant past of TAs who put their clients in for discounts that they didn't qualify for, and there were some reports that they got pegged at the pier (if my feeble memory serves me correctly). If it were me, I'd probably change TAs

I was told by my PCC that they had revamped how they are doing the military and union discounts. I had seen those higher percentages in the past also....but now they are based on how many days out you are sailing. Currently the savings are 5% AND 10%.

Also, although there are discounts on most cruises, I don't think they're there for all cruises. I could be wrong but this is my understanding.

The differing language on websites makes this a little confusing. The Union Plus website makes it seem as if ALL cruises are eligible for the 5-15% BASED ON DATE BOOKED OUT FROM THE CRUISE. Then the 5-10% listed on the laundry list of individual cruises is IN ADDITION. NCL's site is a little foggier on the details.

Here is the language from the Union Plus website:

5% - 15% discount for union members on all NCL cruises. Even better discounts on selected staterooms and sailings.

Unique member advocate program that helps you with customer service

Act Now: Limited time additional savings on cruises

Here is the language from NCL's website:

Up to a 10% discount on select sailings*.

Higher discounts may be offered on additional sailings

* This discount is combinable with most other discounts Terms & Conditions:

Discount is for Union Members and their families booked in the same stateroom; this fleet-wide promotion available throughout the year. Discount applies to a first and second guest in a stateroom. Single guest paying 200% of the rate is eligible. Proof of Union Membership needs to be provided at time of booking and at the pier on embarkation day. Offer applies to new individual bookings. Guests, who cancel and rebook, must accept this promotion's Terms and Conditions. Government taxes and fees are additional. On-board services charges are additional and will be automatically added to your on-board account. Standard air add-ons are available. IMPORTANT NOTICE: Fares shown are in U.S. dollars and are per person, based on double occupancy. Government taxes, fees, and fuel supplement (where applicable) are additional. NCL is suspending the company's fuel supplement for all voyages departing in 2009. The Company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests should the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) increase above $65 per barrel. NCL may collect any fuel supplement charge in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full. Offers are based on availability, are capacity controlled, and combinability with other offers is subject to change or cancellation at any time per NCL discretion. Other restrictions may apply. ©2009 NCL Corporation, Ltd., Ships' Registry: Bahamas.

Barbug you may have a problem...a condition of the Union Discount is that you must be able to produce a Union Card showing paid up dues at check in.

I personally was afraid that I would forget mine so I paper clipped my union card inside my passport.

If by chance you show up to board and are asked for your union card and do not have one, you will be required to pay the difference or be denied boarding.

The way I found out about the union discount was that NCL made an error and mistakenly applied it to my reservation and when I saw how much I saved, I decided to go ahead rejoin the union I once belonged to years before again to get that discount. rather than pay so much more. But when it was discovered, I was warned to be sure I had a Union Card as proof if I wanted to take advantage of the discount or be prepared to pay the difference at the port.

Barbug you may have a problem...a condition of the Union Discount is that you must be able to produce a Union Card showing paid up dues at check in.

I personally was afraid that I would forget mine so I paper clipped my union card inside my passport.

If by chance you show up to board and are asked for your union card and do not have one, you will be required to pay the difference or be denied boarding.

The way I found out about the union discount was that NCL made an error and mistakenly applied it to my reservation and when I saw how much I saved, I decided to go ahead rejoin the union I once belonged to years before again to get that discount. rather than pay so much more. But when it was discovered, I was warned to be sure I had a Union Card as proof if I wanted to take advantage of the discount or be prepared to pay the difference at the port.

You can also use a paystub that shows you paying union dues.

You can also use a paystub that shows you paying union dues.

For folks who have their dues deducted from their paychecks. I would think that would be fine since it says on NCL's website

"Proof of Union Membership needs to be provided at time of booking and at the pier on embarkation day."

They don't specify what kind of proof, do they? I just paid mine for the year all at once, because it was inexpensive. No biggie.

a condition of the Union Discount is that you must be able to produce a Union Card showing paid up dues at check in.

Good idea! I am going to attach DH's union card to his passport - thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing this information! Both my husband and I are union members, but have never been asked about this when making reservations. I will certainly make certain that I bring this up for the next cruise.

Does anyone know if you have to belong to a specific union? I'm Canadian and both my husband and I are union members but never thought of asking for the discount just thinking that it probably didn't apply to us. That was probably dumb! If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks.:confused:

I've got two cruises booked and both say PGUP, even though I'm NOT a union member and told my TA that I'm NOT a union member.

Think this is gonna be a problem for me at the pier?:confused:

My TA was told that proof of membership was required at the pier

(membership card & proof dues are current)

:cool:

Does anyone know if you have to belong to a specific union? I'm Canadian and both my husband and I are union members but never thought of asking for the discount just thinking that it probably didn't apply to us. That was probably dumb! If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks.:confused:

I'm a member of a canadian union , I got the union discount.:cool:

I faxed a copy of my union card to NCL several years ago. They told me to have it ready to show at the pier but I have never been asked to show it when checking in. I have received the discount 4 or 5 times thru the years and have never had to show my card at the pier. I always bring it along just in case though.

Archived