Pineapple Beach A Winner- Thanks!

CruiseFever

Hello Lifeiscruising2:

I have a group of 35 people sailing on the Serenade of the Seas on Feb. 5, 2005 and we are interested in Pineapple Beach. I tried emailing them and they never responded. Could you give me some details? Price and what it includes? How did you get there and the price? Activities for teens?

Thanks,

Daisey

I'm not sure what's up with that emailing thing. I had to email them twice and I read on here of others who had to do the same. But eventually I did get confirmation and when we arrived they did check us off a list of reservations for the day. The place is really not all that big so I'd be sure you have a reservation before you go.

Getting off the ship in Antigua we were greeted by a local steel drum band, much like the one that's always there in Martinique.

Antigua_Steel_Drums.jpg

We took a cab for the 45 minute drive to the Allegro Resort (Hotel Chain Name...like "Hyatt") of Pineapple Beach ($4 pp). In Antigua they do cabs much like some other islands where the first person you see when getting off the ship sizes up your group and determines your needs.

Antigua_Cab_waiting_area.jpg

They have cabs and vans of various sizes and at 9:00am when we came ashore there were plenty of them to accomodate a group of your size.

Once there, we were immediately taken aback by the beauty of the place and it's lush tropical landscaping.

Antigua_Check_In_Area.jpg

Included in the $45 pp "daypass" price is breakfast and lunch. Breakfast is a buffet with a made to order omelette and waffle station. Lunch is off a menu with a nice variety.

Antigua_Dining_room.jpg

Also included is an open bar that features mixed drinks, a rum punch that is out of this world garnished with native Nutmeg and both Red Stripe and Wadadli (local brew) beer on tap.

On the beach your chair and umbrella are included but water sports like wave runners, sailboats and the like are extra.

A must for all age groups is to climb the rock stairs to the gazebo perched atop a cliff overlooking the entire resort and beach.

Antigua_Overlook1.jpg

I was in complete relaxation mode and had no desire to do any exploring but was dragged into it by my girls (19 and 17). I'm glad they did as it offered some of the most breathtaking views of our whole cruise

We stayed until our prearranged pick up time of 2:30pm. The 45 minute return ride made it easy for us to reboard the ship by 3:30 but we didn't have to be aboard until 5:30 for our 6:00 sailaway. Next time I'll stay longer. We wandered around the shopping area by the pier but it was one of those areas where I did not feel comfortable straying too far.

There is a pharmacy/liquor store close to the pier where provisions can be purchased as well as a two story mall-like area but that's about where the tourist area ended.

Here's a short video clip that gives you a better idea of how beautiful Pineapple Beach is as viewed from the Gazebo and we have more photos on our web site too

• 3 weeks later...

I did a week land vaction there when it used to be Club Antigua, loved it. Good food and drinks and a very nice long beach. You are also next to Jolly Harbor marina which is fun to walk through and see the yachts, and they have a drug store there. I was hoping to go back there next year as a day visitor on our "Millie" cruise. It is on the Caribbean side of the island so it has small waves. On a clear day you can see the volcano on Monserrat if it is smoking. I do not know if they still offer a day pass, Hope so!

Mike

Having stayed at another resort on Antigua, all you have to do is ask the front desk to have a taxi for you at the time you want it. Remember everything runs on "Island Time" which is very informal. Also many ships do not change their time to reflect local time. So if you want a taxi for 3pm ships time, that is 4pm Atlantic time and 3:30 to 4:30 Island Time.

Mike-- Knows not to pronounce the "u" in Antigua and the "i" is like a "ee"

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the information about Pineapple Beach, we thought it was just lovely and would love to return some day for a land vacation....which is saying a lot for us because we don't do land vacations anymore!

Thank you Chris! I emailed them just now for our April visit.

I love your website and the information you, and your family provide; you guys are great help.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the info on Pineapple Beach Resort. We leave 3/19/05 on the RCCL Serenade. We didn't as of yet have any excusions planned for our day in Antigua (3/22) and this sounds great. I wonder if it's too late to reserve a day pass for a couple. Just wanting a little further explanation on "island time". If our ship leaves port at 4pm, what time should we have a taxi pick us up at Pineapple Beach Resort to get back in plenty of time?

Thank you very much! :)

You should check with your ships excursion desk to make sure. Antigua is on Atlantic time or an hour ahead of Fort Lauderdale time. So 4pm ships time is 5pm Atlantic time.

Antigua is so far east that a direct flight from Antigua to Boston flew over Bermuda. Sure surpeized me when the pilot told us that we were over Bermuda.

Mike

My wife and I just returned from our cruise and we took the advice of others to book a day pass ($45/pp) to the Allegro Resort upon Pineapple Beach. Although the beach was absolutely beautiful, I found the Allegro Resort to be quite average. If I were to do this experience again, I would take a cab and visit Long Beach (connected to Pineapple Beach) and have a nice lunch at the restaurant that is not attached to the Allegro Resort. The food at the Allegro Resort was very average and the drinks were made with pre-made substitutes. Another thing to remember is the taxi ride out is $24 one way!

I know that there are other beautiful beaches in Antigua and I would love to explore them next time we visit.:)

Yes, you do have access to the pools (if you pay for the day passes). Long beach is right next to Pineapple Beach. There are no boundary lines so it essentially flows into Pineapple Beach. Long Beach is a public beach with a nice restaurant attached to it. My wife and I really wanted to try out the restaurant, but felt that we should eat at the Allegro since we paid for the passes. :(

the pictures of the pool(s) at this property look really nice. did you have access to the pools with the day pass.

is long beach another beach or resort? can you walk there from Pineapple?

You bet, and they're very nice, clean pools.

I must say thought, that the notion of trying long beach is certainly a good enough reason for me to return!

Archived