Watching NFL games on a cruise ship

Does anyone know if the ship gets ESPN? Not ESPN Deportes but the original ESPN. I have a feeling the Penn State-Minnesota game will be on there October 17th.
I've lost track -- do we know what ship/itinereary we are talking about? RC ships generally have ESPN, but which one depends on where you are. On the TA last April, we had ESPN when we left Ft Lauderdale, lost them all in mid-ocean and had ESPN International when we got closer to Europe. If you are close to the US, I would expect ESPN, thats what I think we has last year On Monarch's LA to Ensenada cruises. I have never sailed the Caribbean, so I have no idea what you'll get there.

Now you've got me excited - my two favorite things, Football and cruising !!

My upcoming cruise will be ending on NFL's opening day Sunday so I'll have to get off the ship quickly to see the Cowboys win their first game.

You said it Scotto: "How bout them Cowboys"

My question is the Explorer of the seas will be docked in Bermuda over night on Monday. Will the ship be able to get the feed for Monday night football on ESPN? thank you to all that respond John

I know this is one of these "why would you care about football when in paradise" things. But I would love to be able to catch my team while in port prior to disembarking on a Sunday afternoon. Does the "sports" pub on the ship ever play live broadcasts of games? anyone know?

It's an absolute mystery on which games they buy the rights to re-broadcast.

I suspect it's the cheapest game the can buy and has nothing to do with National, local, or anything.

I remember cruising out of NY on the Voyager. There were a ton of Pats and Jets fans in the sports bar waiting for the Pats-Jets nationally televised 4 PM game. We ended up with Seattle - Oakland. The PACKED bar cleared out in 5 seconds and they lost a lot of money!

We have always found that the game that was nationally televised were the games that were shown onboard. I don't believe that the line selects the games it carries but depends on the networks to decide which games to deliver. Last year they did not have a contract with NBC so couldn't show its Sunday night football games, but could show the games from Fox, CBS, and ESPN. Re: ESPN Deportes: When we were on the Jewel in the Caribbean a few years ago, the Monday night football game was carried on ESPN Deportes. They carried the US feed with John Madden and Al Michaels but the commercials were all in Spanish. On other occasions we watched the network feed from the stadium which meant that we did not see any of the instant replays or the commentators back at the network studio. :)

I've lost track -- do we know what ship/itinereary we are talking about? RC ships generally have ESPN, but which one depends on where you are. On the TA last April, we had ESPN when we left Ft Lauderdale, lost them all in mid-ocean and had ESPN International when we got closer to Europe. If you are close to the US, I would expect ESPN, thats what I think we has last year On Monarch's LA to Ensenada cruises. I have never sailed the Caribbean, so I have no idea what you'll get there.

We will be on our last day of our cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. So we should be somewhere south of the Florida Keys and north of Cuba.

My wife and I are leaving on Liberty Jan 24th. As a Detroit Lions fan I can be pretty safe in saying that they will not be playing that weekend.:D

On a semi-related note. Are the channels available on-ship a fleetwide standard or are the newer/larger ships able to offer more than the smaller ships? Haven't been on a ship in almost 3 years and was wondering if I could expect more variety on Liberty.

/I know, we're on a ship with lots of entertainment. But I like having stuff to watch when recovering from having fun.;)

I love watching football games while on a cruise. When we sailed on Princess they had Monday Night Football of the large outdoor screen. On one of our RCCL cruises they had a football part going on in one of the large lounges where they set up a large srceen and provided "football" food, hot wings and such.

Hi we are also from Northern Ky, actually Alexandria, Ky where are you from, we love to cruise, maybe we are neighbors,

Wondering about CBS on the Serenede, for the Sunday night football?

Hi we are also from Northern Ky, actually Alexandria, Ky where are you from, we love to cruise, maybe we are neighbors,

I believe that, unless things have changed this upcoming season, Sunday night football is broadcast by NBC. CBS and Fox carry the afternoon games on Sundays. Last year the NBC feeds were not available on RCI ships, but again, that could have changed this season. Contact RCI and someone there might have the latest information but unless they have a new contract with NBC or the NFL, you may be limited to seeing games broadcast on CBS, FOX, and ESPN (Monday night games).:) I believe that the TV programming is the same on all ships in the fleet regardless of size.

I would only watch football if "a certain team was playing" while I'm cruising!! :D:D:D

I totally understand!!:D:D

They usually only carry ESPN or CBS games. Bucs are broadcast on FOX, so we have never gotten to see them even though the ship sails out of FL.

We have been to Senor Frogs in Nassau to watch the Gators.:)

The question I have always had is: why do Raidence Class ships have a sports bar with lots of TV's that only show one or two games. The disapointment I have is, we are cruising during opening weekend of March Madness next year and if it's like 2 years ago, they will only show one or two games at a time when they have 20+ tvs in the sports bar.

The question I have always had is: why do Raidence Class ships have a sports bar with lots of TV's that only show one or two games. The disapointment I have is, we are cruising during opening weekend of March Madness next year and if it's like 2 years ago, they will only show one or two games at a time when they have 20+ tvs in the sports bar.

It usually comes down to money, and they are really restricted as to what and how many games they can show by the networks that provide the broadcasts. If there is a villain in the piece it is more likely the tv networks, or the NCAA, not RCI or any of the other lines. It may also depend on how many feeds that they can accept at one time. The number of tvs has little or nothing to do with the number of programs that they can offer.:)

Football is above cruising. I have actually cancelled a cruise because we had a Bucs home game to go to.:eek: We have seaon tickets and cannot miss a game. People think we are crazy, but we live in FL and can sail the other 7 months of the year!!!

I hear ya!!!!! Football takes over my life come September and started practicing the "Football code of Silence" during the preseason games!!! Hubby has season tickets so weekends are planned around all the games. Totally forgot to check the date of the Super Bowl this past year - our cruise ended the day of SB and were flying home right after, until hubby realized we would miss the game - so changed the flights to return home the following day. This year better planning - we start the cruise on Superbowl Sunday!!! What a party that's going to be!

I hear ya!!!!! Football takes over my life come September and started practicing the "Football code of Silence" during the preseason games!!! Hubby has season tickets so weekends are planned around all the games. Totally forgot to check the date of the Super Bowl this past year - our cruise ended the day of SB and were flying home right after, until hubby realized we would miss the game - so changed the flights to return home the following day. This year better planning - we start the cruise on Superbowl Sunday!!! What a party that's going to be!

I hear that the Super Bowl parties on the ships are great! I know you will have lots of fun.:D

Wow!!! We are from California, KY...right down the road from Alexandria.

It usually comes down to money, and they are really restricted as to what and how many games they can show by the networks that provide the broadcasts. If there is a villain in the piece it is more likely the tv networks, or the NCAA, not RCI or any of the other lines. It may also depend on how many feeds that they can accept at one time. The number of tvs has little or nothing to do with the number of programs that they can offer.:)

I understand the feeds are limited. What I don't understand is RCI knew this so why put 20+ tvs in the bar just to show 2 games.

• 2 weeks later...

I know during Play Offs in the past, we had ESPN [Caribbean] Deportes [Commercials in Spanish, but Game in English] for the Patriots. I'm more concerned the next week, for Baseball with the MLB Playoffs :eek:

Negc - do you think there is a good chance we'll catch the Monday night Pats game on the Jewel 9/14? I noticed it's on ESPN... My DH is all worried that they're not going to broadcast the home opener :-)

Archived