For beach swimming, do you put your passports in a locker or a waterproof bag?

scrapulous

A card that gets you into and out of Mexico and Canada. Used mostly by people who commute for work over the borders or who shop over the border etc. Not of any use for most other travelers.

Thanks. Never heard of it, and suddenly wondered if I needed one, lol. Guess not!

I'm afraid we'll miss the ship and be stuck without our passports.
The gotta-use-ship-excursions-only faction has instilled you with unnecessary fear. The answers are easy: Wear a watch. Know what time your ship will leave the dock. Do not cut it too close. Use common sense.

Seriously, from this location, you will have absolutely no trouble getting back to the ship. Taxis will be lined up out on the street when you're ready to leave. It's a very short drive.

This is a question which has been asked several times before, and there are two schools of thought. Those who worry they'll miss the ship so take them ashore & those who worry they'll get lost or stolen. Like other posters, I see the latter as the major risk, so I keep mine in the cabin safe and carry with me the contact details of the ship's shore agent printed on ship's news-sheet, (the agents will be well-versed in re-patriating strays without passports) and a photocopy passport - tho I've seen several posters on this and other forums who say that a colour copy is illegal.

There are exceptions - you have to carry your (original) passport in some countries, but not Mexico, you need photo ID in others (photocopy passport did the trick for me), you need your passport for some rare functions such as a major transaction.

Driving licence is another thing to leave in the safe, unless you're hiring a car, or poss even a quad.

John Bull

ps this thread is boring, anyone out there want to liven it up by arguing for taking the passport ashore? :)

Driving licence is another thing to leave in the safe, unless you're hiring a car, or poss even a quad.

A lot of times the ship will state that they need a photo id as well as your ship card to reboard. A drivers license will satisfy that requirement.

Archived