Princess Cays

kex1969

I s/w Princess this afternoon. I'm on the Star Princess, 02/06/05, they advised me that we would be stopping at Princess Cays on the 12th, as planned. YEEEPPEEEE...I didn't want another day at sea!

We will be on the Star Feb 6 also - there is a roll call started

Ron

I know this has been talked about often but has there been any update on the status of Princess cays? We will be on the Star on 2/20/05.

We are booked on Caribbean Princess Jan. 29 sailing and received our docs today............it says Princess cays on the last day but i wouldn't count on that ..............i really don't think they are sure when they will get her up to par.............for us.......it makes no difference........while we enjoy the beautiful island.........we also enjoy another sea day or staying on board while in Nassua...........or destination is the ship............hope u feel the same if u can not go to the island..............enjoy

Our daughter is a dancer on the Star and they have been told 'sometime in Feb.' There was so much work to do that my guess is that even Princess won't know for February yet - it is probably a week to week guessing game.

With regard to princess cay, i wouldnt speculate on any date rt now. the issue is like everything else with carnival, a financial matter. they have found it has been cost prohibitive and the amount to repair the the small beach strip is more than originally anticipated, so finance/operations people want preferably another day at sea so, you will spend more more on the ship. its very simple, just like bingo, art auctions, shore excursions drinks so forth, the more time you spend on the ship the more u spend, once in a while they will go to another port , and thats due to agreements between cruise lines and ports , based on contractual arrangements to provide minimum ship access to the ports/islands , so they make money too:). i was an executive with the cruise industry, but in carnivals case its strictly and solely monetary. even though people will say its princess, its carnival 100%

With regard to princess cay, i wouldnt speculate on any date rt now. the issue is like everything else with carnival, a financial matter. they have found it has been cost prohibitive and the amount to repair the the small beach strip is more than originally anticipated, so finance/operations people want preferably another day at sea so, you will spend more more on the ship. its very simple, just like bingo, art auctions, shore excursions drinks so forth, the more time you spend on the ship the more u spend, once in a while they will go to another port , and thats due to agreements between cruise lines and ports , based on contractual arrangements to provide minimum ship access to the ports/islands , so they make money too:). i was an executive with the cruise industry, but in carnivals case its strictly and solely monetary. even though people will say its princess, its carnival 100%

I have not heard anyone say that Princess is not going to do it - it is just a matter of when they can get it done. It is just taking longer than expected.

I think Princess makes plenty of money on the private island - people buy drinks and they rent equipment (paddle boats, etc. ) and the prices are not exactly cheap for the rentals.

I am really, Princess should go to Nassau if they cannot dock at Princess Cays. My agent sent me an e-mail last night, just 3 days before departure (and I do not have the chance to change cruise)

I believe that all of us should complain to the company. :mad:

I also chose this specific itinerary, otherwise I could hae chosen another cruise

Marta

martamarks if Nassau is full they can't just take the ship in there. If there are only 2 ships at port they go if not they don't.

It's not like Princess Cay's just closed it's been gone for Months and your TA should have know about it before now. Princess is changing the cruise personalizer on their home page 2 weeks or more before your cruise to show the change.

I am really, Princess should go to Nassau if they cannot dock at Princess Cays. My agent sent me an e-mail last night, just 3 days before departure (and I do not have the chance to change cruise)

I believe that all of us should complain to the company. :mad:

I also chose this specific itinerary, otherwise I could hae chosen another cruise

Marta

BEFORE filing a complaint that will fall on deaf ears (and rightfully so...see the contract). Besides, fixing hurricane damage is hard work. I can also imagine getting supplies and repair workers to the island is quite the logisitcal challenge.

I have not heard anyone say that Princess is not going to do it - it is just a matter of when they can get it done. It is just taking longer than expected.

I think Princess makes plenty of money on the private island - people buy drinks and they rent equipment (paddle boats, etc. ) and the prices are not exactly cheap for the rentals.

Your response is more accurate. The problems have been many, but one large issue is with the Bahamian government over the repairs. This has slowed things up quite a bit.

As far as the financial issue, my information says that Princess makes more money stopping at Princess Cays than it would chugging around in the water. Every person that hits the beach hits the cash register for something and as mentioned in the quote, the stuff they rent ain't cheap!

I'm sure that this "strip of beach" will open as soon as it is at all possible. The other thing I know for sure is that it won't open a day sooner than that and we won't know for sure until someone steps foot on the beach.

If you have PC as one of your "scheduled" stops on your voyage, play it like you are going to get there and if you don't and have to spend a day at sea or in Nassau, then make the best of it. I wouldn't let missing that "strip of beach" ruin your cruise.

I spoke to a Princess agent last night about going to Princess Cays in March as I will be on the Caribbean Princess the week of March 12. She said that as of right now our itinerary is still calling for us to go to Princess Cays. She added that at this time it could still change. She said if the island isn't ready by then they will either add a day at sea, a stop Nassau, or a stop in San Juan.

Personally I'd prefer a substitute island over another day at sea because that would bring my at sea days to 4 and my port days down to 2. Don't get me wrong, I like days at sea, but 4 out of 6 days is a bit much!

I thought Princess Cays was nice but I wouldn't be heartbroken if we skipped it in March. I would certainly prefer a "sea day" over a stop in Nassau. I've been there twice and have no desire to ever go there again. Nothing horrible happened, I just didn't care for the place.

While in Princess Cays we did purchase a large (ish) beautiful, hand carved wood, silhouete of a woman. We gave it to the Cosmetic Surgeon that my husband works with. It proudly and gracefully stands on a hardwood table in his main lobby. I think we paid $25 or $30 for it but it looks like a million$ in the perfect setting.

I'd really like to stop at Princess Cays on our next cruise in March. We have been there 2 times and we take it as "a day off". It is a great place to relax on the beach and have a cold beer... But hey, relaxing on the beach or near the pool on the ship... What's the difference ? As long as I have my cold beer !!! ;)

Not stopping at Princess Cays won't surely ruin my cruise. Don't get me wrong. I love the place and I'm looking forward to be there.

Alain R.

Archived