Princess Cays

kex1969

We're sailing on the Caribbean Princess two weeks from today - January 22. Our documents arrived Thanksgiving weekend and show the original itinerary: 2 days at sea, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, at sea, Princess Cays, Port Everglades.

I checked our cruise personalizer in early December to schedule shore excursions and noticed that the itinerary had been changed; Princess Cays is no longer included. The new schedule is: at sea, afternoon arrival in San Juan (4-10:30PM), St. Thomas, St. Maarten, 2 days at sea, Port Everglades.

We'll miss the fun in the sun at Princess Cays, but we booked afternoon beach excursions to Magen's Bay and Orient Bay, both of which are beautiful beaches.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

We were on the CP Nov. 27-Dec.4. We didn't know we would not be going to Princess Cays until the day we boarded the ship.

Jennifer

Jennifer - did you look at the Princess Cruise Personalizer? It should have been posted there before you left.

We're sailing on the Caribbean Princess two weeks from today - January 22. Our documents arrived Thanksgiving weekend and show the original itinerary: 2 days at sea, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, at sea, Princess Cays, Port Everglades.

I checked our cruise personalizer in early December to schedule shore excursions and noticed that the itinerary had been changed; Princess Cays is no longer included. The new schedule is: at sea, afternoon arrival in San Juan (4-10:30PM), St. Thomas, St. Maarten, 2 days at sea, Port Everglades.

We'll miss the fun in the sun at Princess Cays, but we booked afternoon beach excursions to Magen's Bay and Orient Bay, both of which are beautiful beaches.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Well, almost neighbor, looks like you might save a couple of dollars if you were planning on renting (at the cost of buying) some of the Princess Cays offerings. If you haven't been to either of the two bays, you'll find the beauty there will make you forget PC, at least for awhile. Problem is that you have to go through Charlotte Amalie (sp?) to get to Megans.

Have fun.

Don't anyone get their hopes up.

I've been led to believe that there has been a hefty lease increase over what Princess has been paying to lease this island and until it's resolved,Princess has halted any further construction to repair from the hurricane damage.

We just got our cruise docs for the 1/28 Sun Princess sailing and it still lists PC but how much you want to be we go to Nassau instead?

I've been led to believe that there has been a hefty lease increase over what Princess has been paying to lease this island and until it's resolved,Princess has halted any further construction to repair from the hurricane damage.

We just got our cruise docs for the 1/28 Sun Princess sailing and it still lists PC but how much you want to bet we go to Nassau instead?

We're on Star Princess Jan. 23rd. Our cruise personalizer was changed last month to eliminate Princess Cays and substitute a day at sea. But our docs still say PC. We were really looking forward to PC.

We just got our cruise docs for the 1/28 Sun Princess sailing and it still lists PC but how much you want to bet we go to Nassau instead?

I'll bet that we won't know until you get back.

You are one of the first that has agreed with me that the delay is probably due to a a conflict with the Bahamian government. My sources led me to believe that it was a problem over costing of the repairs, possibly centered around who pays what since there was damage to the access to the Princess leased area as well. Whether it had to do with the lease itself or what the terms of the lease were in respect to who pays what with a natural disaster, it doesn't matter - the work won't get done until it's resolved. Maybe it's a wash between what Princess is loosing in revenue and the cost to repair.

Regardless, we are going to have fun whether it's on PC, at sea or in Nassau. I don't care one way or the other and it doesn't matter if I did because it will be what it will be and that is better than sitting in Novi.

Just got off the Star Princess. We had Costa Maya and the nearby village of Mahajual substituted for Princess Cays. For us it was was much better going to Costa Maya. Princess Cays is not unlike going to Disney World, everything is thought out for you and it is no bargain regarding drinks and equiptment rental The sleepy, backwards town of Mahajual, with its dirt roads, wandering donkeys, incfredible beach and bars along the shoreline was vastly superior to the huge crowds on PC.

Well, almost neighbor, looks like you might save a couple of dollars if you were planning on renting (at the cost of buying) some of the Princess Cays offerings. If you haven't been to either of the two bays, you'll find the beauty there will make you forget PC, at least for awhile. Problem is that you have to go through Charlotte Amalie (sp?) to get to Megans.

Have fun.

Hello there, neighbor.

DH and I were looking forward to some fun-in-the-sun exercise on a peddle boat and/or Aqua bike at Princess Cays. We've been to Magen's Bay and Orient Bay previously and know that we'll enjoy both again.

After the overnight snowfall and wintry mix expected later today, it doesn't really matter where the Caribbean Princess sails as long as I'm onboard!

Chris

Hello there, neighbor.

DH and I were looking forward to some fun-in-the-sun exercise on a peddle boat and/or Aqua bike at Princess Cays. We've been to Magen's Bay and Orient Bay previously and know that we'll enjoy both again.

After the overnight snowfall and wintry mix expected later today, it doesn't really matter where the Caribbean Princess sails as long as I'm onboard!

Chris

Chris,

I hear what you are saying about having some exercise in the sun at PC. It beats the heck out of doing laps at Bally's this morning with the sloppy snow happening.

There is still a chance that PC might open up before our cruise the first week in March, but I recall you are leaving earlier, maybe even this month which might be too early.

The bottom line is that the worst place the ship is going is still better than what we have right now and I don't remember a time on any of the cruises that we didn't have fun.

Here's to a safe and enjoyable cruise on the Caribbean Princess and maybe we'll see you when the snow melts.

Greg

[quote name='Crockett Man']I don't think anyone should count on going to Princess Cays until we hear from the first group that actually makes it there. We are suppose to be there on March 26 and I'm already making plans for another sea day or Nassau.[/QUOTE]

Crockett Man,

I don't think anyone is gearing up for PC this season. Like I've stated earlier, there is too much going on with the island that needs to be overcome before there is serious work done.

Most of us are playing the day we would normally be at PC as a "pot luck" day. It's like a mystery stop where we won't know until they tell us.

But who really cares? If it is going to spoil the cruise if the ship doesn't stop at PC then they should stay home. It isn't Princess' fault and they should not be blamed.

[quote name='Grego']

But who really cares? If it is going to spoil the cruise if the ship doesn't stop at PC then they should stay home. It isn't Princess' fault and they should not be blamed.[/QUOTE]

The condition of the island may not be Princess' fault, but certainly they should be blamed for the total lack of communication with their passengers. When was the last time there was any official communication to explain what was really happening so people would stop posting one rumor after another? It's also obvious that they continue to advertise Princess Cays as a destination when there there is apparently no hope of that happening in the immediate future. Their conduct in this regard has left much to be desired. They could use their web site to post a letter with the real facts, but they clearly rather leave you guessing (and paying).

[quote name='Grego']Chris,

I hear what you are saying about having some exercise in the sun at PC. It beats the heck out of doing laps at Bally's this morning with the sloppy snow happening.

There is still a chance that PC might open up before our cruise the first week in March, but I recall you are leaving earlier, maybe even this month which might be too early.

The bottom line is that the worst place the ship is going is still better than what we have right now and I don't remember a time on any of the cruises that we didn't have fun.

Here's to a safe and enjoyable cruise on the Caribbean Princess and maybe we'll see you when the snow melts.

Greg[/QUOTE]

Hi, neighbor.
I've been curious about the "Chowder & Marching" Society. Years ago, Chuck Muer's frequent diners were called [i]CMS;[/i] now, it's simply "Friends Dining Club." Anywhere that we lived for the past 30+ years (Troy/Rochester Hills), we've never been more than 10 minutes from [i]Charley's Crab.[/i]

Speaking of which, we will have dinner at [i]CC [/i]in FLL on Friday night prior to our 1/22 sailing; I will get my special birthday discount.
[i]Chris[/i]

[quote name='cruzinchris']Hi, neighbor.
I've been curious about the "Chowder & Marching" Society. Years ago, Chuck Muer's frequent diners were called [i]CMS;[/i] now, it's simply "Friends Dining Club." Anywhere that we lived for the past 30+ years (Troy/Rochester Hills), we've never been more than 10 minutes from [i]Charley's Crab.[/i]

Speaking of which, we will have dinner at [i]CC [/i]in FLL on Friday night prior to our 1/22 sailing; I will get my special birthday discount.
[i]Chris[/i][/QUOTE]

There have been a lot of claims to the Chowder and Marching Society so I'm not sure where it originally came from, nor was I aware of the Muer restaurants useage even though I was certainly a frequent guest.

We had an organization within GE in the late 60's through the mid 80's that was called the GE Chowder and Marching Society. In brief it consisted of about 100 GE male employees that met officially once a year in the Fall to socialize over Maine lobster, beer, clams, oysters, beer, clam chowder,beer. corn, etc, while we played football, horseshoes....you get the idea. Various times during the year we would sponser various charity events to raise money for this and that.

The name kinda stuck with me and I modified it to make it more current with my chosen hobbies - cruises and Foo-Foo drinks. Thus the name Foo Foo Chowder and Marching Society.

We have a very dynamic membership list that changes somewhat every year. The last three cruises have seen at least two repeating couples each time. This has not been planned. It starts with one of us booking a cruise and spreading the word and others from the previous year might join in.

This year we have two coming back (was three at one point) so the six of us will get together for at least a couple of dinners during the week. The big event is the Sailaway Party where I'll make a sign and everyone meets up on the Riviera Deck right after Muster Drill for the Bon Voyage Foo-Foo.

Enjoy your meal at Muer's and have a Happy Birthday. Have a Foo-Foo on us.

Greg

[quote name='nicknack']The condition of the island may not be Princess' fault, but certainly they should be blamed for the total lack of communication with their passengers. When was the last time there was any official communication to explain what was really happening so people would stop posting one rumor after another? It's also obvious that they continue to advertise Princess Cays as a destination when there there is apparently no hope of that happening in the immediate future. Their conduct in this regard has left much to be desired. They could use their web site to post a letter with the real facts, but they clearly rather leave you guessing (and paying).[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in theory, but I am sure the "suits" have little or no time to communicate to the passengers who have already seen documents that state that Princess can change any port with no notice. It is usually the trickle down theory when we find out. :eek: I book a cruise based on its itinerary, but Princess Cay is not a dealbreaker. I would like another port subsituted instead of a sea day, but if that does not happen, I will enjoy lounging at the adult pool, playing trivial games that are fun and having a few glasses of wine on my balcony, watching the world go by.:

Seeing as Princess does not own the Island, who knows what is going on. As stated in above post, the first ones to return that have landed on PC is most likely how we will find out. Truly, I don't think there is much "paying" for PC, don't even know if there are port charges. Just think of the locals that have lost their jobs due to this.:( And the crew does not have to dress up in those silly pirate costumes. :eek: JMHO

Archived