Gibraltar

lkakers

If anyone of you out there have sailed through the Strait of Gibraltar, do you know whether a cruise ship typically gets close enough to Gibraltar to see the rock? Sure looks like a narrow strait, but I understand how deceptive maps can be.

When we were on the Windstar about 8 years ago, we sailed by the Rock. It was truly breathtaking -- it's so huge, and it was beautifully illuminated when we went by it -- slowly -- about 9:00 at night. The crew made it an occasion, and I remember sipping wine on the deck with the other pax. A wonderful memory. I wonder if they're still doing this?

Thanks for responding, 2serendip!

I certainly hope they're still doing this.... I'd love to see the rock in person!

It's one of those things you grow up knowing about, thinking you'll never really get a chance to see it in person. I'm very hopeful! Your description is wonderful.

Thanks again!

You're welcome -- I'm not sure I emphasized enough just what an extraordinary sight it is. It was a surprise to me -- I really hadn't expected it to be quite so dramatic, and you'll be quite close, as I recall. We were probably only a few hundred yards off shore. We're going to be on Windsurf in November, from Barcelona to Lisbon, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. Have a great cruise!

That's wonderful to hear; I'm beyond excited, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much in case there's a problem... but in May, I'll try to remember to post back whether we were able to see it... :rolleyes:

On our sailing, we anchored at the base of Gilbralter in the late afternoon, close enough to see the monkeys scaling the walls and going through the caves in the rocks. The captain kept the ship at anchor so everyone could enjoy a spectacular sunset. And as if that wasn't good enough, the Hotel Manager scheduled the on board deck barbeque that evening under the stars and with Gilbraulter visible in the moonlight as well. It was an experience I will never forget.

That sounds amazing!

I don't think we'll get quite that treat, as we are not scheduled to sail away from Tangier until 8pm, but hopefully we'll still get a good view of it!

Thanks for posting.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to ressurect another old thread, but I've been foolishly getting my hopes up about seeing Gibraltar... I recently spoke to my parents (experienced cruisers), and they said that they've sailed 2 itineraries (one on Windstar and one on Regent) that went through the Strait of Gibraltar and neither time did the ship go close enough to see the rock.

Also, as our itinerary would have us go by it at night (however close or far away we might be from it), they were even skeptical that we could see it even if we were close enough to it.

So NOW, my question is: of those of you who have sailed through the Strait, who among you did NOT get a chance to see the rock?

[i know it seems I'm obsessed with this... I'm really not, but it's the one aspect of my upcoming trek I'm having a hard time finding answers from other sources.]

Thanks, all!

On our sailing, we anchored at the base of Gilbralter in the late afternoon, close enough to see the monkeys scaling the walls and going through the caves in the rocks. The captain kept the ship at anchor so everyone could enjoy a spectacular sunset. And as if that wasn't good enough, the Hotel Manager scheduled the on board deck barbeque that evening under the stars and with Gilbraulter visible in the moonlight as well. It was an experience I will never forget.

On this particular Windstar cruise, we spent the day in Tangiers before sailing across to Gilbralter. We sailed on a broad reach across the channel and with the help of a fresh 35 knot wind, set a new land speed record before arriving at the foot of Gilbralter that evening before sunset.

On this particular Windstar cruise, we spent the day in Tangiers before sailing across to Gilbralter. We sailed on a broad reach across the channel and with the help of a fresh 35 knot wind, set a new land speed record before arriving at the foot of Gilbralter that evening before sunset.

So, was Gibraltar actually ON your itinerary, or was it just a happy chance that you got there?

It isn't actually on the itinerary for our cruise, but I'm just hoping we'll get to see it.... :o

Thanks for your response!

As I recall, it was actually on our itinerary, but it was subject to wind and weather conditions. I think the captain had some influence on our departure from Tangiers in order to assure us we'd see Gilbralter in daylight.

As I recall, it was actually on our itinerary, but it was subject to wind and weather conditions. I think the captain had some influence on our departure from Tangiers in order to assure us we'd see Gilbralter in daylight.

Sounds wonderful!

I think I'll have to shimmy up to the bridge after we leave Tangier to see how close I can convince them to get! ;)

At the beginning of the cruise, during a relaxed time, you might talk to the Captain and see if you can build support for the idea if Gibraltar isn't actually listed as something planned as a "sail by" event. Captain Bridge did not allow anyone to go ashore during the time we were near Gibraltar, but we were close enough to see the harbor, other ships and the docks...we just cruised very very slowly while the deck bbq and dancing was happening aboard that evening under a full moon and Gibraltar in silhouette.

Archived