Air Frustratioin :-(

CRUISERSWITHKIDS

In January, we are taking a southern Carib. cruise out of San Juan. We will be flying out of Kansas City a day early due to the winter weather that we sometimes get, and with that said, we are avoiding layovers in Chicago. We prefer to have layovers in the warm weather states. I have also been told to make the return flight after 3PM because of the chaos at the San Juan airport.

Now for the frustrating part. We have been watching the airfare for flights that meet our requirements, and they are running about the same price as what we paid for our Multicity flights we had when we took our Alaskan cruise in July. (KC to Vancouver, Fairbanks to KC) The cheapest we have seen it is around $490.00 pp. We also looked in to flying to Orlando on Southwest, and then booking another airline to San Juan, but the thought of having to get your luggage, and then checking in again at the orlando airport just didn't thrill us. Especially with getting the flights to coincide. Though it would have been about $200.00 pp cheaper.

Is 490.00pp a good deal? Is this about the standard? If it is, I'm ready to book it. It just seems hard to swallow that it's the same price as our Alaskan flights. Also, just to throw in here, we are NOT interested in booking the air through the cruise line. Lord knows what we would end up with. My luck it would be layovers in Chicago, and a 10AM return flight. I know this is very airport specific, but any help would be appreciated.

We also fly everywhere out of MCI, love the airport, hate the connections. :(

I did a quick check for flights out of MCI on January 9th and returning on the 17th. The prices I am finding are just slightly over $400 pp.

We normally do not cruise out of SJU because of the added flight expense involved though, so can not give specific past experience with pricing.

I do know it is one reason we usually cruise out of Fort Lauderdale/Miami though.

Check with some of the sites like sidestep.com and kayak.com and see what you can find there. But be advised, I doubt you are going to find much of anything under the $400 range per person for these flights. Good Luck though!

If one looks at historical fares in this market over the last year, they have been remarkably consistent over time averaging about $400 round trip (http://history.farecompare.com/fare-graphs/historyDisplayGraphTabbed.do?departure=MKC&destination=SJU&back=365&advPurchase=180). This has been particularly true over the last 6 months.

Personally, I think you are being overly conservative to only look at flights after 3 PM. Most folks would suggest noon, but I have relatives who twice made flights that left at 10:30 AM. Have you considered delaying your return flight by 1 day?

Though flight distance has no direct bearing on costs, your flights to/from SJU will cover more distance than the flights for the Alaska trip. San Juan is pretty far out there. So, no, it isn't surprising to me, especially when you add in "cruise demand" into the supply/demand equation.

We also fly everywhere out of MCI, love the airport, hate the connections. :(

I did a quick check for flights out of MCI on January 9th and returning on the 17th. The prices I am finding are just slightly over $400 pp.

We normally do not cruise out of SJU because of the added flight expense involved though, so can not give specific past experience with pricing.

I do know it is one reason we usually cruise out of Fort Lauderdale/Miami though.

Check with some of the sites like sidestep.com and kayak.com and see what you can find there. But be advised, I doubt you are going to find much of anything under the $400 range per person for these flights. Good Luck though!

I agree toto that MCI is a great airport! Very easy to navigate. I'll have to check on those sites you gave me. I hadn't ever heard of them. I could find flights just under the $400.00 range on other sites, but they either had stops in Chicago, which I don't want to go to in January:eek: or they weren't the times I needed. I have heard horror stories about the San Juan airport (on CC) and most recommend leaving after 3PM. I think that's what is limiting me on my choices. I would love to find my selection around $400.00 instead of $500.00!

Thanks so much for the great advice.

I could find flights just under the $400.00 range on other sites, but they either had stops in Chicago, which I don't want to go to in January:eek: or they weren't the times I needed.

Aha, there's the rub.

Desirable flights at desirable times have a higher demand. Higher demand = higher cost. Econ 101.

It comes down to options and choices. Yes, we would all like that owner's suite onboard -- is it worth the price?? Only you can determine your own price/value equation and how you want to implement your strategy.

You can never get a good deal if you are fussy.

You can....it's just that your probability of that happening starts approaching zero the more "conditions" you place on your purchase.

Years ago, I had dealings with an advertising agency that had a sign in the elevator up to their loft offices. The sign read (in big letters):

SPEED

QUALITY

PRICE

Then, in very small type underneath read: Pick any two.

That concept (and variants depending on situation) has proven so true in so many areas of my life.

Archived