Taxi's and Dickenson/Dickinson Bay

Mrs.C05

I wanted to know how the taxi's are in Antigua to go over to Dickenson/Dickinson's Bay?

I'm hoping to find another person/couple/group that's on our cruise that wants to go as well so we aren't by ourselves.

We got off the boat in July (Carnival Victory) and took a taxi over to Dickinson. Antigua sets the price per person. So, sharing may not necessarily help you. When you get off the boat, there is a taxi stand where authorized taxis are, and the attendant will point you to the next taxi driver, or one that has room. Now, our taxi driver tried to talk us into going to a different beach (because it was prettier?) but we stuck with Dickinson. I honestly think it was because it was a more expensive fare to go to the other beach. Anyway, if I recall correctly it was only about $5 per person each way to/from Dickinson. Maybe $8? Not bad. And I really enjoyed the beach other than the horseback riding. The people on the beach do try to sell you things.... chairs, covers, etc.... We bought two lounge chairs and a cover for the day for $20. There is also a bar right there for drinks. Also, water sports. We did jet skis for $45 for 1/2 hour. There was also horseback riding, which was a total nightmare. But, the beach was beautiful and it was a nice, relaxing day. We had so many spots on our cruise we wanted just a nice relaxing day. I will say,,,this is not a snorkel beach as there were not hardly any fish, and no reef. However, beautiful white sandy beach and relaxation! Hope that helps!

We did Antigua the week of Aug 2. We were all set on going to Dickenson's beach, asked for it at the taxi stand, confirmed with the driver and even had another couple who wanted to go there.

Once we were in the cab, with about 8 - 10 people total, the driver told us we did NOT want to go to Dickenson's because of some salt pond drying up and sending a foul odor. I don't know if this story was true, but I really don't think so. I suspect he was paid by the other beach to take people there.

He insisted we "trust" him and let him take us to Miller's Beach. We didn't feel like arguing, it was close to the ship and a cheap ($4) ride so we went. Note we gave him $15 for three people to include a tip.

Big mistake - lousy beach (narrow with very sticky sand), muddied/sandy water (couldn't see the bottom) and jelly fish (obviously not in their control).

We agreed to a pick up time but about an hour before, we decided we had had enough. Lo and behold, he had just dropped off more people to the beach. He didn't remember us and offered us a ride back to the ship "for only $5 a person"...we laughed at him telling him that's what we paid you including tip coming here!

We got in, I gave him a piece of my mind, which looking back on I should have waited until we got back to the ship to do (although he took us back with no problem) and told him I learned I couldn't "trust" Antiguan cab drivers.

He got the same $15 he got going to the beach.

So beware, don't let the drivers decide your destination.

We got off the boat in July (Carnival Victory) and took a taxi over to Dickinson. Antigua sets the price per person. So, sharing may not necessarily help you. When you get off the boat, there is a taxi stand where authorized taxis are, and the attendant will point you to the next taxi driver, or one that has room. Now, our taxi driver tried to talk us into going to a different beach (because it was prettier?) but we stuck with Dickinson. I honestly think it was because it was a more expensive fare to go to the other beach. Anyway, if I recall correctly it was only about $5 per person each way to/from Dickinson. Maybe $8? Not bad. And I really enjoyed the beach other than the horseback riding. The people on the beach do try to sell you things.... chairs, covers, etc.... We bought two lounge chairs and a cover for the day for $20. There is also a bar right there for drinks. Also, water sports. We did jet skis for $45 for 1/2 hour. There was also horseback riding, which was a total nightmare. But, the beach was beautiful and it was a nice, relaxing day. We had so many spots on our cruise we wanted just a nice relaxing day. I will say,,,this is not a snorkel beach as there were not hardly any fish, and no reef. However, beautiful white sandy beach and relaxation! Hope that helps!

What happened with the horseback riding????? This was one of the places I was most looking forward to. never did horseback riding on the beach!!

We did Antigua the week of Aug 2. We were all set on going to Dickenson's beach, asked for it at the taxi stand, confirmed with the driver and even had another couple who wanted to go there.

Once we were in the cab, with about 8 - 10 people total, the driver told us we did NOT want to go to Dickenson's because of some salt pond drying up and sending a foul odor. I don't know if this story was true, but I really don't think so. I suspect he was paid by the other beach to take people there.

He insisted we "trust" him and let him take us to Miller's Beach. We didn't feel like arguing, it was close to the ship and a cheap ($4) ride so we went. Note we gave him $15 for three people to include a tip.

Big mistake - lousy beach (narrow with very sticky sand), muddied/sandy water (couldn't see the bottom) and jelly fish (obviously not in their control).

We agreed to a pick up time but about an hour before, we decided we had had enough. Lo and behold, he had just dropped off more people to the beach. He didn't remember us and offered us a ride back to the ship "for only $5 a person"...we laughed at him telling him that's what we paid you including tip coming here!

We got in, I gave him a piece of my mind, which looking back on I should have waited until we got back to the ship to do (although he took us back with no problem) and told him I learned I couldn't "trust" Antiguan cab drivers.

He got the same $15 he got going to the beach.

So beware, don't let the drivers decide your destination.

I have read that on here as well. That the drivers will try and take you to another beach. I wonder why that is.:confused:

Hi

I Just got back from a Cruise and stopped at Antigua for the day and made arrangements before I arrived with a Driver/tour operator named Christopher John--there was twelve of us and he was fantastic. He was retired from Airport Customs and was born and raised in Antigua and you could feel the Pride and Love he had for the Island. He took us to areas of the Island that many on the shore excursions from Princess didn't even get to go to. His Price was outstanding and he went well above and beyond what I expected. He stayed with us the entire day and supplied us with drinks during the day as well as stopping to buy us a Rum Punch to toast with us before he left us off at Jolly Beach for 2 1/2 hours while he waited for us------------I have never experienced such generousity and hospitality from a Driver before and have been on many tours on many different islands---I would Highly recommend him to anyone visiting the island of Antigua --His e-mail address is chrisolejohn@hotmail.com let him know John Z appreciated everything he did for our group

We just returned from AOS Aug 16th sailing and we went to Dickenson Beach by taxi (Garry 268-781-2373) the reason I am giving his name and number is my daughtr left her wallet in the taxi with all her ID and money. We realized after we were on the beach and luckily Garry had given us his card to call him when we wanted to be picked up. Well we didnt have a phone with us but we were walking past Sandel's resort when we realized the wallet was missing. We went into Sandel's to try to call Garry and the guard told us to "get off the property" even as we tried to explain they told us to "Get off the property" luckily there was someone working for Tony;s bar who was walking by and heard us explaining the situation and he just gave my daughter his phone and went about his business. Needless to say Garry had the wallet and offered to bring it back right away. We told him to bring it back when he picked us up. Which he did with everthing in tact and we had a wonderful day at Tony's bar.

Archived