Fort Lauderdale Questions

AdrieneAGD

Hey everyone -

We're 99% going on the Caribbean Princess in March (just gotta do that pesky paperwork thing to make it official), and I've never left on a cruise out of anywhere other than Port Canaveral, and I'm quite unfamiliar with the Fort Lauderdale area.

So, a few questions: :)

1) How far is the airport from the port?

2) Does Princess have shuttles or should I take a cab?

3) What is the latest time you would suggest we fly in? There's a flight that lands at 1:00 in the afternoon, but I want to make sure we're not cutting it overly close.

4) If we fly in the night before, do you have any suggestions for hotels? Nowhere extremely fancy, just somewhere clean and a bed to sleep in the night before.

5) Any restaurants in the area that shouldn't be missed?

Thanks!!! :)

I'm flying in the night before and Staying at the Sheraton FLL Airpot. I got it on priceline for$50 + tax, $62.27 total. I would have flown in the same day, as I've been told the airport is 5 to 10 min. from the airport, but the weather here in Michigan is to unpredictable. I'm going on the Star as it was smaller than the CP.

The port is 5-10 minutes (depending on traffic) from the airport. Take a Cab! Faster and cheaper ($9 then $1 per bag (checked bag for the airline don't count your carry on) for tip). My suggestion is to get a flight that arrives around noon. I just like getting to the ship as soon as possible when flying in the day of. If you fly in the day before the Embassey Suites is close and has a shuttle from the airport and to the port. If you stay there the Outback Steakhouse is walking distance from there.

Adriene I have found for us it is cheaper to fly into FLL and have driven to Miami. So, if it is cheaper for you to fly into Miami do so. The drive was about 20 min. We have hired limos, cabs, vans and done the cruise transfer.

That is why I booked this ship. Flying into Fll was so much cheaper:)

I am going on the Dawn in April and got La Quinta Inn and Suites at the Ft. Luaderdale airport, 2 star, for $42 a night. They have free shuttle from airport to hotel and from hotel to cruiseship. It got very good reviews on TripAdvisor.Was very happy with choice for a one night pre-cruise stay.

I'm finding that it's cheaper to fly into FLL as well! Haha. I just figured you never know when the airlines will have a sale or something and the prices to Miami will drop.

Luckily we'll be flying out of Atlanta, so the chances of winter weather messing up our departure are slim. However, we're flying out of Atlanta, and of course flights never leave on time from Hartsfield. haha.

I'm thinking we're either going to do an early morning flight in, or we'll fly in the day before so we don't worry about time, etc.

The concept of having the port so close to the airport is baffling to me - I'm used to Atlanta where it takes two hours to go anywhere around here! But I guess Fort Lauderdale is small enough. :)

I would definitely arrive the day before just for peace of mind. If your flight is delayed out of Georgia, you could really be cutting it close - although the airport is very close to the port. Just me - I like to be early - got it from my dad. :)

I have never stayed over in FLL as we live in FL and arrive the day of the cruise, but I understand the 15th Street Fisheries is a great restaurant. And if you have the time pre- or post- the water taxi ($5) is said to be fun. Maybe someone with more knowledge of FLL can elaborate on these things.

Archived