What to do in St. John?

shashi883

Dixieva, depends on what you are looking for to eat... you can grab some local food from a roadside vendor like Sheila's Pot... try a pate, chicken and rice, fish. Or if you want burger and wings type deal Woody's or the Beach Bar. If you like BBQ you could try Joe's. If you want a regular restaurant menu with a variety of options you could try Ocean Grill in Mongoose Junction. And there are additional options too :).

--Islander

markstudy - the cruise ships that offer St. John excursions have a 'private ferry' that is used just for their excursion. They do not use the regular 'public ferry'.

I have learned so much. Thanks Islander :D

I understand there are two docks for the cruise ships on St Thomas. Do they know ahead of time? Which Dock goes to Princess Ruby? (I see one other large ship- "Adventure of The Sea" due in my date Jan 2nd)

Which Dock does the regular "public Ferry" depart from?

If my ship is at the other dock, how long of a taxi ride to it? What are the names of the two cruise ship docks?

There are two docks in St. Thomas for cruise ships: the West Indian Company Dock (WICO) in Havensight (so its also called the Havensight Dock). And the Crown Bay Dock in Crown Bay.

Yes, generally the ships know which dock they will be at. Princess Ships are usually at the Crown Bay Dock. Adventure of the Seas is usually at the Havensight Dock.

The ferries to St. John do not depart from either Cruise Ship Dock. The ferries depart from the Charlotte Amalie waterfront (about 1.4 miles from Havensight or 1.7 miles from Crown Bay) and also from the Red Hook Ferry Dock on the east end of St. Thomas.

A taxi from either Cruise Ship Dock to Charlotte Amalie ferry area will be around $4 pp, ow. And take 8-10 minutes in low traffic.

Havensight to Red Hook: $10 pp, ow. About a 20-25 minute drive.

Crown Bay to Red Hook: $11 pp, ow. About a 30-35 minute drive.

Drives are in low traffic, with traffic it will take longer.

--Islander

We have been to St. Thomas several times and would like to take the ferry over to St. John. Other than go to a beach, what is there to do?

Hey Shashi883 - I think we're on the same Nov1 cruise out of SJ! We took the ferry to Red Hook one year and then rented a car and drove the island ourselves. In fact, we met a single cruiser who happened to be a limo driver from Chicago so he drove (& shared the cost).... just a lazy-day drive at our leisure - probably missed the "highlights" or we saw them and didn't realize it! A different way to experience a place. See you on Tortola....

Hey Shashi883 - I think we're on the same Nov1 cruise out of SJ! We took the ferry to Red Hook one year and then rented a car and drove the island ourselves. In fact, we met a single cruiser who happened to be a limo driver from Chicago so he drove (& shared the cost).... just a lazy-day drive at our leisure - probably missed the "highlights" or we saw them and didn't realize it! A different way to experience a place. See you on Tortola....

Hey Bwanna, Tim and I decided to take the ferry from Red Hook and go to Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay. Did you book an excursion for St. Thomas?

We are really looking forward to our Tortola stop. We have been wanting to go to Jost Van Dyke for a long time now. I am craving a painkiller ;)

~Sharon

• 1 month later...

Reading all the threads about getting over to St John-how easy will it be Christmas day? We are due to arrive in St Thomas 8am-5pm aboard the Noordam. Is this enough time to venture over to St John? Excursions from the ship leave at 8:30am for only 4hrs. My thinking is we can do our our own excursion (family of 4) and be more flexable. Suggestions please.

We loved St. John's so much after our first cruise, that a few years later we spent a week there. Then several years after that we returned on a cruise ship and explored for the day.

Our favorite itinerary:

-- Ferry to St. John's.

-- Pick up rental jeep. (We used the open air taxis once but the smell of gas while sitting in the back made me sick. A jeep to call your own for the day is so worth it.)

-- Peruse map. Note that it's basically a big loop.

-- Skip Trunk Bay. We found it overcrowded and not that exceptional. Go to Hawksnest Cay instead. It's pretty much the first beach you come to as you start around the loop. It's sooooo pretty. And secluded. Enjoy Hawksnest for a few hours -- snorkel, etc.

-- Hop back in jeep. Go to Maho Bay. That's a beautiful beach, too.

-- Now you're going to be hungry. So, head to the far end of the island and go to "Skinny Leg's" restaurant. This is the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" place if you ever saw one. Awesome burgers. Cold beer. Great atmosphere.

-- Enjoy the gift shop after lunch.

-- Get back in jeep and decide if you have time to explore any plantations, etc.

-- Return jeep and return to ship!

If you don't want to explore the beaches, the sugar plantations are pretty interesting, and have quite a history. The cliffs on the far side of the island are spectacular, but I'm not sure if you can get to them by car. If you rent a boat you can go around the island and see them. Just gorgeous...

• 2 weeks later...

Katie H - there is no cruise ship dock on St. John so ships calling on St. John remain anchored off shore from the island and passengers are tendered into Cruz Bay. Cruise tenders usually come into the dock area close to the National Park Visitor Center which is about a 8-10 minute walk from the passenger ferry dock.

cruiser101 - the ferry usually runs its regular schedule even on holidays, so shouldn't be any different. Some shops in Cruz Bay might be closed, there should be taxis.

--Islander

Archived