Avalon Affinity

Acrusa

Just booked the July 19th Vienna to Amsterdam. This is our first river cruise.We have been on 18 cruises over the years.We checked a lot of river cruise lines and picked Avalon.Did we make the right choice? We orriganaly thought of Tauk but they only did Budapest to Amsterdam but we thought it was too long.And we have been to Budapest and never to Vienna.

I was on the Affinity last month, and it is a very nice ship. I was impressed by how quiet it was and of course the ship is new. I think you did the right thing picking the itinerary first and getting the trip you wanted. I have cruised both Avalon and Amadeus and found them both to be excellent.

River cruising is a different experience from ocean cruising, and as long as you know that there are no rock walls and no night clubs, you will love it. It is wonderful to get up in the morning and walk down the plank to a new town. The tours are interesting and being on the ship is enjoyable.

Thank you for that nice reply? We just got back from our Oceania cruise in the Mediteranian and thought it was time for a river cruise to place's we never have been.

The wife wants to know are there a lot of books in the library or should we bring a few?They mention in the brouchour hand soap but not shampoo,do they supply shampoo,and the last question do they have a laundry service?

THanks in advance.

We will be on the Affinity for the Christmas Markets cruise sailing on 12/10/09. We, too, are Oceania fans and have been on over 50 cruises with Princess, Crystal, HAL, Silver Seas, RCCL, Oceania, and few others which you probably would not remember. I cruised on an inaugural w/Avaon when the christened the Artistry. A first class group. I shall answer some of your questions upon our return. My husband has not done a river cruise, thus this one.

There were a couple of shelves of books in the library (small number). To tell the truth, I told my husband to make sure to bring books for the sailing time, but we never opened them! We we did sail we were glued to the scenery. On a typical day it was breakfast, tour, walk around town, lunch, sometimes another town tour or sailing, get ready for dinner, have a happy hour drink and socialize, enjoy a leisurely dinner, enjoy an evening program or socialize, and drop exhausted into bed. We had very little down time, but we chose to do all the tours.

The cabin had bars of hand soap, body wash, shampoo and lotion. There is a laundry. You put your laundry in a bag and it is returned laundered. It costs about 2 euros. Bar drinks are reasonable, and at happy hour they are 2 for 1.

As we were the first tour on the Affinity, we were asked to donate any books that we had finished reading .. and put an inscription in the front of the book, along with our names. I added two or three to the pile ... I read at night and sometimes in the early morning ... one day someone donated an entire box of books ... probably not one of the passengers but someone that was known to the crew along our travels.

Loved those 2 for 1 bar drinks at happy hour ... that along with the wine with dinner was more than enough for me ...

Loved those 2 for 1 bar drinks at happy hour ... that along with the wine with dinner was more than enough for me ...

Is wine included? I know nothing about Avalon but stumbled upon their website while looking for a Paris/Burgundy river cruise. The itineraries look similar to Viking, but the ships look so much newer and larger. I'm interested in everyone's comments.

Thanks, Acrusa for asking this question. :)

How was your trip home? Nice meeting you and your husband ,we had a most enjoyable evening.

We just booked the Avalon Affinity cant book flights yet too early.They restrict luggage that's why I asked about laundry service.Trying to book a hilton on my HH but that week end is marked unavalible hotel is booked.If we cant book with hilton ill book with Avalon the 2 days we arrive early.They have Hilton as there hotel in Vienna.

Wine is included with dinner each night. There is a white and a red from the region that you are touring. We found it to be quite free-flowing. It was nice to sample these.

During Happy Hour when the drinks are 2 for 1, I paid 3.80 Euro for two large glasses of wine ...

How was your trip home? Nice meeting you and your husband ,we had a most enjoyable evening.

We just booked the Avalon Affinity cant book flights yet too early.They restrict luggage that's why I asked about laundry service.Trying to book a hilton on my HH but that week end is marked unavalible hotel is booked.If we cant book with hilton ill book with Avalon the 2 days we arrive early.They have Hilton as there hotel in Vienna.

Hi,

Trip home was long but uneventful. Actually the Lufthansa flight home was way better than the United flight on the outbound. We enjoyed meeting you and your wife too. BTW, did you ever post about the shore excursion? You really should. :)

As to the Hilton, sometimes I have better luck when I call the hotel directly. Do you think your travel agent can squeeze a room out of them for you? Sometimes they know of wholesalers who might have a block of rooms. Good luck. I'd hate to see you have to spend all that extra money that could go toward fun stuff. :)

Archived