Montmorency Falls & Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre

We will be in Quebec City at the end of our Eurodam cruise at the end of September, arriving Friday morning and debarking Saturday morning.

On Friday morning, we would like to see Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre and Montmorency Falls, then return to Quebec City around 1:00 for lunch and a stroll around Old Quebec City. There are four women in our group, ranging in age from 48 to 76 (and the 76 year old can outwalk the rest of us :o).

The ship does have a morning tour, but I am wondering whether we would be better to rent a car and see these sights on our own. I can't tell if the tour would give us long enough to go inside at Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre, which I would like to do, assuming this is allowed. Also, I understand there is something (viewing, restaurant, gift shop?) at the top of the Falls and I don't know whether the ship's tour goes to the top of the Falls, or just stops to let us look at the Falls from the bottom.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has either done the tour or rented a car and visited these places on their own. What would you suggest?

Bonnie

We visited both on a vacation a few years ago. It is an easy drive from Quebec, I would guess 1/2 hour or so. Both are well marked although all road signs are in French only, you should be fine.

You can go inside the church and I would recommend doing so -- the artifacts alone from those cured at this shrine are amazing. Also there is a nice gift shop run by the nuns. This is a big operation, the parking lots are huge and there is an RV park near-by.

The falls are nice, you can ride up and walk down by a different route. There are several platforms along the way for views of the falls. I know there is a gift shop and I think there's a cafe at the top.

You could do this in a morning. I don't see a real need to be on an organized tour since both places are easy to find.

However, if you have never been to Quebec City, you may find that you need more than an afternoon to enjoy the city itself. The upper and lower city areas are both fascinating, including riding the funicular and visiting Le Chateau Frontenac, the old churches and cobblestone streets. We spent 3 days there and enjoyed every minute. There is much to see and do.

With 4 people, it will be less expensive to rent a car. Then, if you don't want to pay the parking at the falls, you can follow the sign for Manoir Montmorency (restaurant at the top of the falls) and park in the streets nearby (you will have to walk a few minutes though). From there, there are nice observations points and some paths leading to other areas.

There is a good chance that I won't be working anymore on Fridays, if it's the case, it would be my pleasure to to get you near the ship and drive you to the Cathedral then to the falls and back. That would mean 3 ladies in the back seat on a Toyota Corolla (compact) and one in the front + me driving.

I'm not a tour guide, I just love to show visitors around (just as a CC friend who loves her city).

Also a note - don't miss the Circlerama in St Anne - it is across the parking lot form the church and is a painting done in the late 1800's depicting Jesus's life. You will swear that it is 3D even though it is totally on flat canvas. It is amazing!

I would say a 1/2 day to do these 2 sites Ate Anne & the Falls is cutting it a little fine. I would go first to Ste Anne and then on the way back stop at the falls and enjoy lunch at the restaurant at the top.

Then in the afternoon enjoy Quebec City itself - the old town the funicular the Chateau the Plains of Abraham to Fort the City Walls and GAtes and of course the parliament buildings.

Thanks for the responses. I know we are pushing the time, but as you all know, with the limited port time on any cruise, you have to see as much as you can without exhausting yourself!

Thank you so much for your offer jp2001, that is so sweet of you :) I will check with the rest of my group to see what they want to do and get back to you.

Bonnie

Hi jp2001, my group would be delighted to have you show us around and we are more than prepared to squeeze into your Toyota :) So, please let us know if you will be available on Friday, September 25; if not, we will rent a car and go on our own.

My daughter (who is not going with us) is insisting that we should have lunch at the Aux Anciens Canadiens. She adores their Ragout de boulettes and their maple sugar pie. Have you been there? Would you recommend it?

Bonnie

Hi jp2001, my group would be delighted to have you show us around and we are more than prepared to squeeze into your Toyota :) So, please let us know if you will be available on Friday, September 25; if not, we will rent a car and go on our own.

My daughter (who is not going with us) is insisting that we should have lunch at the Aux Anciens Canadiens. She adores their Ragout de boulettes and their maple sugar pie. Have you been there? Would you recommend it?

Bonnie

Cool, you can count on me.

I suggest to meet you at 9 am on Friday, September 25, right in front of your ship.

I will wear a black baseball hat with a little yellow on it that says CAT (for Caterpillar). I will wear a yellow shirt (maybe a yellow polo under a wool sweater) and if it's very cold or rainy, I will have a black jacket over this. If at all possible, I'll open it a little so you can see the yellow.

If you don't mind, I would like you to email me at jplamondon2001 @ hotmail.com with your names and maybe an idea of how you will be dressed so I can recongnize you.

I was thinking to extend my offer to more people by offering to whom is interested to join me at Les Anciens Canadiens for lunch (at 1pm) and start a walking tour from there that would show you the city making a loop ending at your ship (you are the firsts on the list if it interests you and it would be a small group, no more than 10-12).

We were in Quebec over the weekend for the very first time. We've been to Europe and seen so many wonderful destinations, but Quebec is the first place I've been to in years that I didn't want to leave. We have owned a vacation condo at a ski resort in the White Mountains of NH for over 20 years and wondered why we hadn't taken this 4+ hour drive sooner. If you have never been, you will be amazed at what a beautiful clean historic romantic city this is--not enough adjectives to put it all in words.

I loved staying at one of those quaint small historic hotels next to Chateau Frontenac, but DH would have preferred the Hilton or Courtyard Marriott-which are across the street from each other at the entrance to Old Quebec.

We passed the Falls as we drove to St. Anne--very easy drive. Whether you take the tour of drive, it is very easy since you take the coast route along the river.

We enjoyed listening to a Mass in French at St Anne. Everything could be read in both English and French but we loved hearing the prayers and sermon in French. I am surprised I understood so much of this wonderful language.

Both DH and I agree that taking a cruise to Quebec would be fantastic. I wish there were more summer cruises to Canada because it is so nice to get out on the ocean and get away from the hot humid weather. The seabreezes from New England to Canada are wonderful during a summer heatwave.

If you have a cruise booked to Quebec, you will fall in love with this city. Can't wait to book one myself. Make sure to see the city from the boardwalk that begins at Chateau Frontenac and runs up to the top of the cliff at the Citadel. So much to see that you should definetely book at least one night if your cruise ends or begins in Quebec. There are many benches to sit and catch your breath. If you prefer going downhill, then start your walk on the boardwalk from the top beginning at the Citadel overlooking the St. Lawrence River--glad we went downhill.

I am still speechless and amazed.

We were in Quebec over the weekend for the very first time. We've been to Europe and seen so many wonderful destinations, but Quebec is the first place I've been to in years that I didn't want to leave.

(...)

I am still speechless and amazed.

Thanks, I love my city but it's nice to hear that you liked it THAT much!

Thanks for the additional information jp2001, and I will email you shortly with the details you request.

If you like, I can post your offer of an afternoon walking tour on the roll call for our cruise to see if any others would be interested. I don't know yet whether we will do your walking tour or just make our way back to the ship after lunch. My mother is 76 after all, and my sister has Multiple Sclerosis, so she walks slowly and tends to tire easily.

Thanks again so much for offering to do this! We are all looking forward to it very much.

Salut.

Archived