Do your relatives freak out when you go on a cruise?

Coco83

My DH & I have been on a few cruises in the past, one of them actually with my MIL. However, for some reason...she always thinks I will abducted and sold into the "sex slave industry" and my husband pushed overboard- her exact words. She always gets worried when we tell her we are going. She will be driving us to the port this Sunday & I need some suggestions to ease her mind or else that 45 minute drive will feel like a lifetime.:eek:

I too...have had to suffer slings and arrows..for going solo....so far I have never..."Been alone", "eaten alllll by myself", "fallen overboard", "been looked at funny", tried to be "picked up by a man" (darn-it), been "groped by a man," double darnit. or had to "Fend for myself". (oh, the slave industry thing is also in Europe, when I travel solo)For my 2 hour drive..I smile all the way..still get butterflies when I see the fantail, and have the time of my life....alllll by my self! NOT

We keep in touch by e-mail. If your MIL has access to a computer, promise to send her an update daily! I take my laptop, write my updates, log on and hit send...saves on purchased minutes by writing it first, and the extended family knows I am okay.

I have had some real NASTY mail left ANONYMOUSLY in my mail box at work .Something to do with retiring at sea and being buried at sea ...IT WAS IN VERY POOR TASTE ...and of course I Never found the person who left it...I was VERY upset .People can be so envious and MEAN

I like to cruise ...what is wrong with that ????? If they cannot budget to go on one whose fault ???????No one PAYS for mine except me so if my travels bothers people ...TOO BAD>>>>>

My MIL is one of them!!!!

People wrongfully think I"M SOOOOOOOOOOO rich because I cruise ...true often 3-4 times a year

BUT I search for bargains and do find them with careful planning.....People are VERY jealous I cruise and I get a lot of NEGATIVE comments

I have a few choice words to share with them .........

Michele

acually, my family is glad that i am able to travel, even alone. they know i am very careful and 90% of the time with a group on shore. and my co-workers are envious and wish they could go. no, i dont have the problem you do. im sorry your mli feels this way. but as said, email her from the ship and call once in awhile. that will make her feel better :).

My DH & I have been on a few cruises in the past, one of them actually with my MIL. However, for some reason...she always thinks I will abducted and sold into the "sex slave industry" and my husband pushed overboard- her exact words. She always gets worried when we tell her we are going. She will be driving us to the port this Sunday & I need some suggestions to ease her mind or else that 45 minute drive will feel like a lifetime.:eek:

*sigh* How l u c k y you are ;)

All my family members are COMING with us on our upcoming cruise. :eek:

:D I'm just kidding. I'm very excited about it.

I have no suggestions for you except to nod your head in the right places and basically tune her out. Run some virtual 'white noise' in your head while she is talking to you...

I hope you have a great cruise :D

MIL starts worrying as soon as we tell her we have a cruise planned. So...we try to wait as long as possible before it manages to slip out of one of our mouths during a conversation - lessens her worrying time.

We've even offered to take her with us and I think that worried her more :eek:

I have had some real NASTY mail left ANONYMOUSLY in my mail box at work .Something to do with retiring at sea and being buried at sea ...IT WAS IN VERY POOR TASTE ...and of course I Never found the person who left it...I was VERY upset .People can be so envious and MEAN

I like to cruise ...what is wrong with that ????? If they cannot budget to go on one whose fault ???????No one PAYS for mine except me so if my travels bothers people ...TOO BAD>>>>>

My MIL is one of them!!!!

People wrongfully think I"M SOOOOOOOOOOO rich because I cruise ...true often 3-4 times a year

BUT I search for bargains and do find them with careful planning.....People are VERY jealous I cruise and I get a lot of NEGATIVE comments

I have a few choice words to share with them .........

Michele

I completely sympathize! Friends and family all think I must be wealthy, but little do they know how little else I spend money on in order to be able to cruise. I also budget very carefully, save everything I can, and refuse to go into debt for anything other than my house or car. I rarely eat out, comparison shop for big purchases, and buy everything else on sale or clearance.

As far as safety, everyone has calmed down now after so many cruises. But before our first several family members sent us warnings about how dangerous ships were, that we might be abducted, or thrown overboard, etc.

One other family member was convinced that because we were sailing in September we would sink in a hurricane. :rolleyes:

:eek: Can't say I have that problem. Cruises are no different then any other type of travel. The email ideal may be a good one. Just email her every few days. That way she will feel better. I think for an hour of internet connection its $30 dollars.. But its been a while since we have done that.

Have fun on your cruise. ;)

I completely sympathize! Friends and family all think I must be wealthy, but little do they know how little else I spend money on in order to be able to cruise. I also budget very carefully, save everything I can, and refuse to go into debt for anything other than my house or car. I rarely eat out, comparison shop for big purchases, and buy everything else on sale or clearance.

BINGO HEAR HEAR!!!!!!I do exactly like you

I NEVER buy something even with CC I cannot pay in full when the bill comes ...except house or car.I shop on sale and watch where I spend

That is why I can cruise

.....but she probably HOPES it will happen to me. :rolleyes:

wasiii

I'm in my mid-20s (ok, probably more like my late 20s now, but I'm having a hard time admitting it!) and have been on my own and independent for many years. My mom never worried about me going on any sort of vacation, cruises included, until this most recent cruise...when I told her that I was going by myself.

Eventually, I twisted my BFF's arm (hah! not much twisting was needed!) and her and her DH are going with me to celebrate their 1 year anniversary. (I'll still be enjoying that 1A with a porthole alll to myself, though!) When I told my mom that they would also be going she said, "Shew...good! You're allowed to go now!" I told her she was ridiculous and that if something is going to happen it could happen just as easily with them onboard. Her response? "Well, at least there will be someone there that will notice you are missing!" *shaking head* Moms! :D

Explain to her that you have no intention of pushing your husband overboard unless he pisses you off.....and the sex slave industry is probably the only place a girl can make any money right now......that should take care of it.

We actually do get some crap from people.

My mom bitches about how much money we're blowing and could be spent on other things (this from the woman who has so much landscaping you can't see her lawn, but I keep my mouth shut, as it is HER LAWN).

My one friend who's cruised with us twice has been kind of snotty about it all (inspite of her being invited this time as well). "I wouldn't want to go on another cruise that stops at places I've all ready been" (well duh, like there isn't dozens of things to do in most ports).

My mom and my grandma are also nervous (though grandma is now coming along, after a year of begging, so yeah!!!) that "something is going to happen to the kids". First of all, I'm quite a protective mom...I let my kids know what the boundaries are and wouldn't DREAM of putting them in an even "iffy" situation. Secondly, they think (inspite of both of them having been on a cruise before) that the railings are like 3 feet high and my kids will be scaling them and dangling over the side or something.

Then there are the "All Inclusive" cheerleaders, who cannot understand vacationing any other way. We don't drink a whole lot, so that is one strike against AI in our book. Secondly, I think I'd get really bored staring at the same stretch of sand for a week. Lastly, with the prices on cruises lately, AI's (especially considering that we don't drink much) aren't any kind of a "super deal" for us.

My dad worried and asked if I was good swimmer!:rolleyes: I also have friends and family say, " oh I couldnt be trapped on a ship" OR "I would be bored stuck on a ship" when I show them the photos they are dumbstruck at how much there is to do and the ports etc. Think a bit of jealousy comes into the comments too.

Ask your MIL how much you think you should charge if your are abducted.

Me and my wife got certified for scuba diving after taking our first cruise. About a week before my second cruise, I went out and bought the DVD "Open Water" for my MIL to watch. That is the one where they left the two divers behind.

Another time I called her and asked her if she knew where her daughter was. I told her in a little bitty airplane about 3000 feet up in the air. She told me I should have waited until she at least got on the ground.

Another time I showed her video of a flight of her daughter in an open cockpit ultralight. This was right before we were hit by Hurricane Dennis.

Then the best one was the video right after we got done skydiving for the first time. I thought MIL was going to freak out.

Dave

I was laughing reading these comments! :D I honestly could care less about her feelings (ouch), I just don't want to involve myself in a debate while I am already in vacay mode! So maybe the MP3 player is a good idea :rolleyes: Earlier this week she already informed DH that he "better not let me out of his sight the entire trip." Excuse me?! I love my hubby very much but I'd rather not spend every second of the day together, or else I would lose my mind.

Speaking of jealously- my SIL recently asked my husband how he was able to afford a cruise implying that I must not be managing our finances well. First of all, it's none of her business. Second of all, I saved my money for a year as a gift to him for our 5th anniversary because I think he deserves it. we both know its because she really wishes she could go deep down inside.

My SIL in going to become extremely bitter when she finds out we have another cruise booked in just a few months!:p The cruise is a graduation gift from my mom, but she will probably still get her drawers in a knot behind it anyway. lol

I really wish some people would keep their noses out of places they don't belong. Perhaps, if she didn't buy a house she knew she couldn't afford, they could budget for vacations. Ok, I'm getting off topic and upset so I'll stop here!

I get some grief from people. I have been on 4 cruises since November and people at work make comments sometimes. I do work a job where I can get off just about whenever I want so that isn't a problem. I am also very good with money and have no debt. I quit drinking years ago so that expense is gone. Honestly, there have been some really good travel deals lately and I am going to take advantage of them.

None of the remarks were that bad until last week when I booked an impromptu solo cruise 17 days away. I have wanted to do a solo trip for awhile and my partner can't take any more time off from work. Everybody assumes something is wrong between us since I am going alone. Other people just don't "get it" and tell me it is weird to go alone. It has been pretty ridiculous. However, it is not a big deal what others think. I cruise in 10 days!

Archived