Do your relatives freak out when you go on a cruise?

Coco83

My relatives quit freaking out about me traveling.... they have started questioning me when I'm not planning a trip. Cruising to them is the safest form of travel out of me, I took a month a couple summers ago and did a solo trip to Kenya to volunteer.... I was able to convince them I would be safe and I was, therefore they are able to trust I'll be ok no matter where I am!

I agree on tuning her out and can picture myself saying "I'm sorry you have such fears--however, I do not. A cruise vacation is perfect for me." And realize MIL's fears will likely continue. I also have mentioned the tens of thousands who come back from each cruise unharmed but relaxed!

One person mentioned the falling overboard to me once and I told them the chances of that happening accidentally are zero.

RE: affording to go, it has been implied to me too once or twice by those who spend every penny they earn on new cars and new clothes weekly. I have learned to smile and say "you and I choose to spend our money differently!"

ENJOY!!!

I'm cruising with my 2 best friends in September and my mom is freaking out, but she has good reason to. We were on the Legend in May and I got very, very sick and the Coast Guard had to come out and get me. I almost died and ended up spending 3 1/2 weeks in a hospital in Florida and on life support for 16 days. I understand her concern and the fear that out on the water, I'm stuck and there is nothing we can do if I get sick. But, I feel like this was a one time occurance and I love to cruise, and I'm not going to let this scare me from something I enjoy. I also feel that I was given a second chance, and I'm not really living my life if I sit home and do nothing for the rest of my life. I have promised her that I will send her text messages every day to let her know that I'm okay.

I'm cruising with my 2 best friends in September and my mom is freaking out, but she has good reason to. We were on the Legend in May and I got very, very sick and the Coast Guard had to come out and get me. I almost died and ended up spending 3 1/2 weeks in a hospital in Florida and on life support for 16 days. I understand her concern and the fear that out on the water, I'm stuck and there is nothing we can do if I get sick. But, I feel like this was a one time occurance and I love to cruise, and I'm not going to let this scare me from something I enjoy. I also feel that I was given a second chance, and I'm not really living my life if I sit home and do nothing for the rest of my life. I have promised her that I will send her text messages every day to let her know that I'm okay.

Wow, good on you and I'm glad to see you're feeling a ton better! What an experience!

I have had some real NASTY mail left ANONYMOUSLY in my mail box at work .Something to do with retiring at sea and being buried at sea ...IT WAS IN VERY POOR TASTE ...and of course I Never found the person who left it...I was VERY upset .People can be so envious and MEAN

I like to cruise ...what is wrong with that ????? If they cannot budget to go on one whose fault ???????No one PAYS for mine except me so if my travels bothers people ...TOO BAD>>>>>

My MIL is one of them!!!!

People wrongfully think I"M SOOOOOOOOOOO rich because I cruise ...true often 3-4 times a year

BUT I search for bargains and do find them with careful planning.....People are VERY jealous I cruise and I get a lot of NEGATIVE comments

I have a few choice words to share with them .........

Michele

OMG How mean! What is wrong with people? Can't they just be happy that you are doing something you love? You're right, they're probably GREEN with envy! Try to ignore them and enjoy your cruises!

All of my relatives have died! My Mother used to worry herself sick and ask why we would want to go back somewhere we had already been. My hubby's side of the family either go with us or wish us a good trip! Therefore, I have adopted them as my relatives!;)

OMG How mean! What is wrong with people? Can't they just be happy that you are doing something you love? You're right, they're probably GREEN with envy! Try to ignore them and enjoy your cruises!

That, or it's a bad joke that didn't translate well. Still stupid though.

I'm sorry to read so many fearful comments on here. I wasn't raised to be fearful, and I wasn't raised by people who were. My father's almost 90, and his one concern when we travel is how to reach us with an international number. Once he has that, he's cool with it.

I was laughing reading these comments! :D I honestly could care less about her feelings (ouch), I just don't want to involve myself in a debate while I am already in vacay mode! So maybe the MP3 player is a good idea :rolleyes:

I am wondering...

The OP "honestly could care less" about mom's "feelings" and yet mom is kind enough to provide the OP transportation to the ship and save the OP a considerable amount of money for parking, ect.

I am the mom of an '83 vintage kid and if she found my company objectionable enough to blast her disgust of me on an internet forum and would prefer to wear headphones rather than to converse with me, then I would expect her to find alternate transportation to port...

Just sayin'

I am wondering...

The OP "honestly could care less" about mom's "feelings" and yet mom is kind enough to provide the OP transportation to the ship and save the OP a considerable amount of money for parking, ect.

I am the mom of an '83 vintage kid and if she found my company objectionable enough to blast her disgust of me on an internet forum and would prefer to wear headphones rather than to converse with me, then I would expect her to find alternate transportation to port...

Just sayin'

You think your kid doesn't blast her disgust with you over internet forums or to her friends? :p

Well yeah kinda they do... But they know its a fun thing to do... but since i go on so many... they think I have this obsession thats strange to them.......

But hey, you have to try it, to appreciate it.

My DH & I have been on a few cruises in the past, one of them actually with my MIL. However, for some reason...she always thinks I will abducted and sold into the "sex slave industry" and my husband pushed overboard- her exact words. She always gets worried when we tell her we are going. She will be driving us to the port this Sunday & I need some suggestions to ease her mind or else that 45 minute drive will feel like a lifetime.:eek:

Actually mine think its great that my husband and I are able to cruise (money and health-wise). Most have been on cruises so they know we aren't blowing our money. We've actually gotten the rep of being experienced cruisers...so much so that its become a standard question for us. Hi, how are you, where and when is your next cruise.

I'd say the only thing that happens with my family is envy, but with everyone. I have a few aunts who are taking a Greek Isles and then European cruise...one I would love to go on. My parents want to go on this next one...so on and so forth.

While dh supports my love of cruising - he does worry about me when I travel solo (even tho I am with friends onboard). I get the 'safety' lecture everytime before I go....(promise not to talk to 'strangers'...:D)....

And speaking of mils.....dh and I have spoken with his mom about cruising - she knows we have cruised (with dh and kids) and has seen the pics, etc... but seems 'scared' to go. When asked why she wouldn't consider a cruise she says cuz she can't swim!!!

I try not to burst out laughing at that one....told her I know how to swim but honey if that ship goes down ain't no amount of swimming going to save my 'as s'....ha ha ha.

And then to make it worse I tell her ' you know there are babies and little kids on the ship and they don't know how to swim either" (I'm so bad....).... you should see the look on her face. Guess she thinks us cruisers are all olympic swimmers or something? :) (or maybe we walk around with our life vests on all the time....just in case? :D)

You think your kid doesn't blast her disgust with you over internet forums or to her friends? :p

For my own "vintage '83" kid, at 27 she is mature enough to be long past boring her friends whining about her mama.

And definitely savvy enough to refrain from putting her possible disgust in writing out on the web.

And where are those "friends" when the OP needs someone to drive three hours to save the OP the parking fees?

Just get old mom.

Speaking for myself, this mom would not spend three hours driving some ingrate wearing headphones.:rolleyes:

Most of my family doesn't understand why I need to cruise so much. They aren't worried as much as they are looking for any reason to talk negative about it. Some are envious while others waste their money on other things. Some of my family won't even look at my pictures, but I don't care cause I just tell them I'm planning another cruise.

Save money! Before you leave, compose emails for every day of your vacation and use the "delay send" feature to send one out each day. That way the relatives have some peace of mind and you haven't wasted a single moment of your vacation calming their irrational fears. :D

On my first S&S cruise as a solo, a group member offered to make a note on his GPS if I were to go overboard, and when he sobered up he would tell the captain. Then at least they would have a starting point for the search. :p

My DH & I have been on a few cruises in the past, one of them actually with my MIL. However, for some reason...she always thinks I will abducted and sold into the "sex slave industry" and my husband pushed overboard- her exact words. She always gets worried when we tell her we are going. She will be driving us to the port this Sunday & I need some suggestions to ease her mind or else that 45 minute drive will feel like a lifetime.:eek:

Here is the best suggestion you will get.....hire a limo!!!!!!!!:D

It really makes me mad when our friends and family make comments about us cruising. Considering we live below our means and I work more hours than I need to, my extra money goes to cruising. So if we want to take 2 cruises a year, why should anyone care. It seems to me that cruising still has that stigma of being a luxury vacation where it would appear I would be wasting a lot of money that we really don't have. Since it is so affordable it makes a great choice. But if I spent the same money and went to Yellowstone National Park for a week no one would think anything of it.

Archived