Do your relatives freak out when you go on a cruise?

Coco83

A parent will always worry about their child. No matter if they're five months for 50 years old.

Having said that: I am glad that my family isn't this nuerotic. It's usually "Bye, have a good time."

When my children travel I worry a bit but they have good heads on their shoulders. Nowhere is truly safe so you would just drive yourself crazy if all you did was worry. Then again, it may be that some parents have already worried themselves to that point.

I caution parents don't go overboard with advice or project your fears on to your children. Children (of all ages) don't overreact when a parent does voice a concern or fear. Often a child makes more out of a comment then it really was.

Take care,

Mike

I guess we are lucky to have family and friends who get excited for our cruises. Some have gone with us, some never will or want to. Mom of course is always glad when we get back, but ALWAYS very excited for us getting to go. Remind loved ones that even with a road trip in the good ole USA there are things that can happen. Car accidents, being mugged in the hotel parking lot, snapped up from the hallway of the hotel. Many things can happen......a little common sense goes a VERY long ways in any country.

Go and enjoy!!!

Kat

I too...have had to suffer slings and arrows..for going solo....so far I have never..."Been alone", "eaten alllll by myself", "fallen overboard", "been looked at funny", tried to be "picked up by a man" (darn-it), been "groped by a man," double darnit. or had to "Fend for myself". (oh, the slave industry thing is also in Europe, when I travel solo)For my 2 hour drive..I smile all the way..still get butterflies when I see the fantail, and have the time of my life....alllll by my self! NOT

As I get ready for my 1st solo cruise I am hearing these exact things....my mom is only satisfied now because I gave her my entire intinerary with the names of excursions companys, phone numbers, and the list of everyone I've been talking to on here through the roll call.

She finally has quieted down....

We went our first cruise in May 2009 and took our 5 year old twins with us. We all had the best time and will do this as our family vacation again next summer. My grandma worries all the time and then worries when there is nothing to worry about. She called my mom everyday we were gone to make sure we had checked in and that the kids hadn't fallen overboard. She was convinced that I was going to let my girls climb up the railings and fall over. She freaked out when the swine flu hit cause we were going to Mexico, but got changed to Jamaica, etc. Everyday before the cruise she had some new reason we shouldn't go.

In regards to relatives, etc thinking we are rich.....my nephew told his mom....my sil.....that my dh and I must be rich since we went on a cruise and then we also went to Las Vegas this summer. He is 9 years old.....I wonder where he got that crazy idea?

My dh and I both work and we live in an affordable house. We don't drive expensive cars......his truck actually paid off last month!!! We don't remodel the house, buy nice clothes...we spend all of our extra money on nice vacations. I think the travel is good for the kids....how many 5 year olds can say they have been to Jamaica and the Cayman Islands? IT is something they will remember for the rest of their lifes. The biggest vacation I took as a kid was to Disney Land.... I was about 10....but I remember how great it was to travel to California from Texas!!

Sorry to ramble, but I thought this post was too funny and I completely relate.

Amy

my mom. She was on a cruise when I was a baby, and got sea sick. (May be when I got bitten by cruise bug). 40+ years later, I finally convinced her to go with me and DD on a cruise. A couple years later for 2nd cruise with her and DD, it took no convincing.

Are we related?!!!

I have heard them all. As a final comment, she just finally says how she hated cruising the one time she went in the '50s and how she was seasick -- "How can you stand it??"""""

Thanks for the thread. I have enjoyed reading other's stories.

As I get ready for my 1st solo cruise I am hearing these exact things....my mom is only satisfied now because I gave her my entire intinerary with the names of excursions companys, phone numbers, and the list of everyone I've been talking to on here through the roll call.

She finally has quieted down....

I forgot to mention I do have to make out an itinerary with all the numbers etc. She calls the airline to make sure we have landed and taken off. Heaven forbid if we are late because she expects that phone call when we land. If I wait, she says, "the airline said you landed XX minutes ago."

Just let her know, as she's driving you to the port, that there is a higher chance of you getting into a car accident on the way to the port than any of her other worries of what might happen while you're on your cruise!

Just let her know, as she's driving you to the port, that there is a higher chance of you getting into a car accident on the way to the port than any of her other worries of what might happen while you're on your cruise!

That'll calm her. :eek:

So true. We are going on a road trip to Seattle. Between hotel costs, gas, attraction tickets, food, and what ever else may come up, we are definately spending more than we spent to book our upcoming cruise. If we mention the road trip, people say "Oh that will be nice". Mention the cruise and it's "Must be nice to make that kind of money." I try to educate people on just how economical of a vacation a cruise can be, but I think I give up.

Same story here. We try explainging that a week at Myrtle Beach costs more. Nobody believes us, so we just shut up and go on our cruise.

When we first stared cruising, my in-laws would worry themselves sick. The first time I told them I was taking the kids, sans dh, my FIL was practically hysterical. He was convinced that "some Mexican" was going to steal my dd and make her a sex slave for the rest of her life :eek:. When we took RCCL Mariner to Labadee, Haiti (a private RCCL area), my MIL lectured me on how "those people" shot at each other and killed one another on a regular basis, and to make sure we weren't caught in the crossfire. The sad part is, she was serious.

What is really funny is that when I met my MIL, she bragged at how seasoned a traveler she was, and something about knowing how to order black eyed peas :p. I thought she had traveled the world! Later I found out that her "travel experience" consisted of taking I-75 down to Daytona Beach and staying at the same hotel one week each summer. This was their routine for over 20 years!!!

This is the same lady who told us she wanted to kiss the grandbabies good-bye (forever) because we were taking them to the Cincinatti Zoo, and the neighborhood you drive thru to get there was full of drug lords/wars. She insinuated we'd never make it out of there alive.

Now when we have a cruise planned, I don't even open my mouth about it. It's none of their business. Dh will casually mention it to them as the date draws closer. I think they have gotten used to us going so they don't say much, or else they just realize their comments aren't going to work.

Happy Cruising!!

I'm one of the lucky ones. Until my sweet MIL passed away in June, she and my wonderful FIL, often cruised with us! We'll still be taking my FIL with us on our next cruise in October. "Mom" will be with us in spirit.

Please reassure your MIL that my inlaws (and children) have sailed on three of our six cruises. They loved every one of them!!

Karen in Kentucky:o

When we first stared cruising, my in-laws would worry themselves sick. The first time I told them I was taking the kids, sans dh, my FIL was practically hysterical. He was convinced that "some Mexican" was going to steal my dd and make her a sex slave for the rest of her life :eek:. When we took RCCL Mariner to Labadee, Haiti (a private RCCL area), my MIL lectured me on how "those people" shot at each other and killed one another on a regular basis, and to make sure we weren't caught in the crossfire. The sad part is, she was serious.

What is really funny is that when I met my MIL, she bragged at how seasoned a traveler she was, and something about knowing how to order black eyed peas :p. I thought she had traveled the world! Later I found out that her "travel experience" consisted of taking I-75 down to Daytona Beach and staying at the same hotel one week each summer. This was their routine for over 20 years!!!

This is the same lady who told us she wanted to kiss the grandbabies good-bye (forever) because we were taking them to the Cincinatti Zoo, and the neighborhood you drive thru to get there was full of drug lords/wars. She insinuated we'd never make it out of there alive.

Now when we have a cruise planned, I don't even open my mouth about it. It's none of their business. Dh will casually mention it to them as the date draws closer. I think they have gotten used to us going so they don't say much, or else they just realize their comments aren't going to work.

Happy Cruising!!

"What is really funny is that when I met my MIL, she bragged at how seasoned a traveler she was, and something about knowing how to order"

We were at a high school reunion in PA. A buddy and I that had traveled all over the world. We were talking with a classmate about not much at all when he said that he had traveled all over. We asked, "Like where all have you visited?" He answers, "Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Harrisburg, Ohio." My buddy and I just said, "Wow!"

But to him, he evidently HAD traveled "ALL" over.

I had a district manager that hired a new salesman in Brooklyn NY. I called the newbie to welcome him onboard and to let him know where to pick up the company car and about the upcoming national meeting in Huston. I found out that

1. He had never driven a car in his 30 years of life, and

2. He had NEVER been outside the borough limits of Brooklyn.

3. Of course, had never been on a plane.

Trying to see things through his eyes was interesting.

Happy Cruising!!

"What is really funny is that when I met my MIL, she bragged at how seasoned a traveler she was, and something about knowing how to order"

We were at a high school reunion in PA. A buddy and I that had traveled all over the world. We were talking with a classmate about not much at all when he said that he had traveled all over. We asked, "Like where all have you visited?" He answers, "Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Harrisburg, Ohio." My buddy and I just said, "Wow!"

But to him, he evidently HAD traveled "ALL" over.

It is quite funny how a person who has never done something tries so hard to advise another on how that something goes or attempts to discourage you from doing it all together. Cuz God knows, if you saw it on TV, it must be true!!! That's how we all know guns are bad, Republicans are greedy, and Democrats hate unborn children!

As far as trying to allay the fears of a spastastic relative, you could always try researching/printing information on how safe it actually is and giving it to the irrational relative. For the jealous ones, tell them if they gave up that pack of cigarettes a day/5 fastfood meals and double triple latte extremes with extra chai or 10 MP3s a week/monthly pair of shoes or outfit, they could afford to cruise too!

I say, "Let the haters hate!" Me and mine are gonna keep on cruisin'!!!

It is quite funny how a person who has never done something tries so hard to advise another on how that something goes or attempts to discourage you from doing it all together. Cuz God knows, if you saw it on TV, it must be true!!! That's how we all know guns are bad, Republicans are greedy, and Democrats hate unborn children!

As far as trying to allay the fears of a spastastic relative, you could always try researching/printing information on how safe it actually is and giving it to the irrational relative. For the jealous ones, tell them if they gave up that pack of cigarettes a day/5 fastfood meals and double triple latte extremes with extra chai or 10 MP3s a week/monthly pair of shoes or outfit, they could afford to cruise too!

I say, "Let the haters hate!" Me and mine are gonna keep on cruisin'!!!

spastastic

Good word, I like it!

explain to her that you have no intention of pushing your husband overboard unless he pisses you off.....and the sex slave industry is probably the only place a girl can make any money right now......that should take care of it.

lol

My inlaws and family are all okay with us going. My family has gone on cruises before together in the past. We all know what it's like.

My MIL just makes little comments of "Don't push Tommy overboard" or "Don't get drunk and pull a crazy stunt" etc. I assure her I won't let any of that happen....and if I did and I think she'd kill me when I got back. (DH is her only child) FIL says the same things but he'll never understand 'cruising' since he swears he'll never step foot on one.

I just give them copies of our passport, itinerary, emergency #'s....we've yet to call her while out at sea. Maybe we'll do that this next time around to ease her mind.

I have had some real NASTY mail left ANONYMOUSLY in my mail box at work .Something to do with retiring at sea and being buried at sea ...IT WAS IN VERY POOR TASTE ...and of course I Never found the person who left it...I was VERY upset .People can be so envious and MEAN

I like to cruise ...what is wrong with that ????? If they cannot budget to go on one whose fault ???????No one PAYS for mine except me so if my travels bothers people ...TOO BAD>>>>>

My MIL is one of them!!!!

People wrongfully think I"M SOOOOOOOOOOO rich because I cruise ...true often 3-4 times a year

BUT I search for bargains and do find them with careful planning.....People are VERY jealous I cruise and I get a lot of NEGATIVE comments

I have a few choice words to share with them .........

Michele

I used to feel quilty about going on so many cruises.......but not anymore. Life is too short, and I think you should travel and explore while you are still physically and mentally capable of doing it.:)

Archived