Best walking city in Europe?

saldino

Hi,

Best walking city in Europe? I'm looking for 'walkable' in reference to distance between attractions, condition of roads, sidewalks and especially presence of steps.

I'm asking for a slightly disabled person who walks with a cane but, needs to be able to stop and rest and can only manage walking up or down 2 or 3 steps/stairs at any one place. I know it's a lot to consider but, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Hi

I too walk with a stick ( cane ) and need to rest after a while due to breathing difficulties . I have cruised alot in Europe coming from England and I think that places like Amsterdam and Brugges are quite compact and flat which is helpful. Paris is good too and if you can get on and off the buses that go around most major cities when you 'hop on and off' at will for a fixed price those too are a good option. South of france like Nice and Cannes are easy to get around . Norway is also easy having just come back from there. Towns are mostly flat again and compact for example Stravanger , Flam and Bergen are all easy to get about.

Hope that helps and if there are any other places you wnat to know about let me know

Ruth

... I think that places like Amsterdam and Brugges are quite compact and flat which is helpful. Paris is good too and if you can get on and off the buses that go around most major cities when you 'hop on and off' at will for a fixed price those too are a good option. South of france like Nice and Cannes are easy to get around . Norway is also easy having just come back from there. Towns are mostly flat again and compact for example Stravanger , Flam and Bergen are all easy to get about. Ruth

I concur w/Amsterdam, Norway towns mentioned above; haven't been to Paris, don't remember Nice or Cannes. I can add Dubrovnik Croatia (you don't have to go up on the wall), Gdansk Poland.

Archived