Missed the ship because of non-CCL excursions?

NKG6002

Back in 1993 on my first cruise, my friend and I saved some guys from our ship from being left behind. We were in Nassau and had gone to a nightclub. When we were going to leave, we noticed some guys from the ship that were about passed out from drinking too much and had no clue they had to get back to the ship really soon. We rounded them up and got them in to cabs. (We also used their money to pay for the cabs :) - but I'm not sure they even knew that)

Maybe he was ahead of her because he runs faster...he could possibly hold the ship for her to arrive. I would expect my husband to run ahead since he runs faster than I do. However, I know he would not go on the boat without me if they wouldn't wait the other minute it took for me to run there. JMO

I'm going to stick up for the guy and speculate he was going to "prevent the ship from leaving" until his woman could board. A macho instinct.

We always book independently, except in Jamaica we did book with the ship, both for the added security I felt and because the zip-lining tour was not offered directly through the company Carnival used (I'm sure there was some type of exclusive contract in place.)

In Cozumel we had enough time on our way back to hit up Carlos and Charlie's since we were within walking distance to the ship. We met this couple who basically boasted that they're always the last ones back on the ship whenever they cruise. And sure enough, who did we see running to catch the boat, and the last ones back on? That selfish couple, of course.

The good independants will make sure you are back in time.

Absolutely!!

They need cruise tourist dollars and getting a bad reputation for causing people to miss the ship is not something they want.

We book independent the majority of the time and have been lucky. That's not to say we haven't had a few close calls...both times in Belize.

Chivalry - FAIL

No! It's just that the fastest one goes ahead to try and fast-talk their way onto the ship.

When we were leaving Bermuda, a couple on another cruiseship had to do the run. In that case, the woman was faster. It was shoes off and boy, she had long legs and they could move! You couldn't have gotten hubby in the same photo without a panoramic camera! (They made it, by the way)

Maybe he was ahead of her because he runs faster...he could possibly hold the ship for her to arrive. I would expect my husband to run ahead since he runs faster than I do. However, I know he would not go on the boat without me if they wouldn't wait the other minute it took for me to run there. JMO

I am no sprinter, but my wife would never be that close to me in a long run. In my first cruise, I book all my excursions through Carnival. I wanted to played it safe, but on most excursions, it seems safe to book it with a outside tour.

We do a lot of research (like most of us here :)) before we cruise. We chose a very highly recommended scuba shop and planned as always to have 2 hours to get back to the dock area. I did all those things we always do..check ship time, remind the shop, remind the dive master, etc...Anyway, the dive boat broke down and 2 hours later we were running like a crazed family, still in our wet suits, dragging scuba gear. We made it to the ship and crossed the threshold at about 3:02 for a 3:00 departure. I would loved to have seen a video of our run of shame...it was crazy. The divemaster just kept saying "no problem, no problem" I wanted to choke him.

It was a reputable shop, well planned, good weather, no alcohol involved...just (almost) bad luck. That being said, we still take private tours but I try to have more than 2 hours leeway now. Less than that and I keep hearing "no problem, noproblem" in my head. ;)

We do a lot of research (like most of us here :)) before we cruise. We chose a very highly recommended scuba shop and planned as always to have 2 hours to get back to the dock area. I did all those things we always do..check ship time, remind the shop, remind the dive master, etc...Anyway, the dive boat broke down and 2 hours later we were running like a crazed family, still in our wet suits, dragging scuba gear. We made it to the ship and crossed the threshold at about 3:02 for a 3:00 departure. I would loved to have seen a video of our run of shame...it was crazy. The divemaster just kept saying "no problem, no problem" I wanted to choke him.

It was a reputable shop, well planned, good weather, no alcohol involved...just (almost) bad luck. That being said, we still take private tours but I try to have more than 2 hours leeway now. Less than that and I keep hearing "no problem, noproblem" in my head. ;)

That's what we kept hearing - "no problem, no problem." :eek: And here I was looking at my watch thinking, "I've got 20 minutes until our last tender time and we are stopping the boat to look at iguanuas in people's yards?" :eek::mad: Plus a 20 minute bus ride back to town? And we were supposed to have beach and shopping time after the tour AND still be back two hours before sailing?

The people from the other ship that were on our tour actually had two more hours in port and made up the majority of the people on the tour. They were laid back and having a great time. But the operator REALLY dropped the ball - even though the owner and the guides assured us repeatedly all day that they undersood our difference in port times.:mad:

It's a HUGE problem to me when I miss the ship! LOL.

Did you see the Youtube video of the people who caught up with the ship in a tugboat? I wonder what that cost them?

(The reaction from the bystanders is hilarious, by the way!)

Thats hilarious when they get out the board and everyone starts yelling "walk the plank". I would be mortified!

Well after 3 full pages there was only one poster who actually missed the boat and that was 10 years ago.

Many of the independent operators I contacted have back up tendering and are use to the close calls. Getting drunk or loosing track of the time when shopping is a whole other issue unrelated to booking an independent excursion. I'm going to stick with the ones who get lots of excellent reviews.

The piece of mind that a cruise sponsored excursion brings is priceless to me. :)

Yes indeed.

Foreign country, foreign operators, unknown circumstances, strict timing rules.

Taking "independent" excursions with so-called "good-reputation" lower-priced foreign country vendors (that have ZERO association with cruiseline)....

.....not priceless to us....we worry enough about day-to-day occurences when NOT on our well-earned vacations !!!!!!!!!!!!

long, long time ago....we were on a ship-organized dive tour - the tour operator was late picking us up; therefore, we were late getting back. Literally, we ran to the ship, dive gear on us and in tow, with a cheering crowd from the pool deck, the gangplank was pulled up behind us. it was a very heart-pounding event! we have witnessed too many getting left behind and I always hate to see that, though you have to understand all those important issues of "don't be late".

Now, there was another ship-organized tour that we took to La Bufadora - DH didn't believe me when I said "there goes our bus", whilst he continued to haggle for a purchase. Well, it was our bus and we were left behind, in this outpost of Mexico, whilst our stuff drove away w/o us on the bus. DH managed to find another tour bus and w/his best Spanish got the tour guide to accept us and take us to where we could catch up w/our group. Another heart-stopping event! We still LOL about it, and I love my Noah's Ark he did get for me, for oy vey! ...never again. La Bufadora is a nice place to visit, however, if you've never been -- just make sure the guide knows you and you get the time right!!!!

I would say make sure you remember you note the difference between "Localtime" and "ship time". Also, If you watch the clock and not try to cram everything in one port.

i will be on the carnival fantasy. i assume they post the time to set your watch too so you know when too get back?? i hope so anyway.

i will be on the carnival fantasy. i assume they post the time to set your watch too so you know when too get back?? i hope so anyway.

There is always a clock on the wall as you are leaving the ship for your port days. Set your watch for that time and you will be assured that you are on ship's time verses port time.:)

Being on a CCL sponsored shore excursion is NO GUARANTEE..

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/aug/18/cruise-becomes-nightmare-stuart-family/

Carnival is telling a different story and says that the family wandered off on their own after the excursion was over and did not meet the bus at the appointed time.

Don't know who is right but there are always two sides to every story.

Archived