FREE or Cheap beaches in Nassau?

lovetacruise125

Are there any free nice public beaches within short distance of the port? Will be docked from like 8-2 so prefer not to have to spend alot for a few hours of a beach. Don't mind taking a cab. Would like somewhere where there is a restroom within a short distance as well. :confused:

I was wondering the same thing. There was a link to a walking map on one post: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

On the map it shows "Western Esplanade". I did a little investigating and found the name of this beach is Junkanoo Beach. I asked on this forum if the beach is nice, and a couple people said it is. It's a public beach, no charge, and a 15 minute walk. I checked out pictures on Flickr.com and it looks really nice. Here is a link to one of the pictures. junkanoo beach

I haven't been there but my plan is to do the walking tour, hit the beach for a while, then a little shopping. We will be in Nassau from 8:30 to 2:00 and wanted a leisurely day.

Note: they are going to be dredging in the upcoming months so if you are going soon this may not work for you.

I was wondering the same thing. There was a link to a walking map on one post: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

On the map it shows "Western Esplanade". I did a little investigating and found the name of this beach is Junkanoo Beach. I asked on this forum if the beach is nice, and a couple people said it is. It's a public beach, no charge, and a 15 minute walk. I checked out pictures on Flickr.com and it looks really nice. Here is a link to one of the pictures. junkanoo beach

I haven't been there but my plan is to do the walking tour, hit the beach for a while, then a little shopping. We will be in Nassau from 8:30 to 2:00 and wanted a leisurely day.

Note: they are going to be dredging in the upcoming months so if you are going soon this may not work for you.

Also, there is usually a chain on the restroom door.

Our public beaches do not have amenities such as restrooms and lifeguards. Some public beaches are unsafe to explore alone (riptides, strong currents, sinkholes etc).

If you don't want to do a Hotel day pass.. then I suggest Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island. No restrooms nearby.. but you can rent a chaise, and there are enough people around to be safe.

Deserted beaches are targets for vagrants, drug dealers and robbers. Keep your thing close to you at all times.

Also, there is usually a chain on the restroom door.

Our public beaches do not have amenities such as restrooms and lifeguards. Some public beaches are unsafe to explore alone (riptides, strong currents, sinkholes etc).

If you don't want to do a Hotel day pass.. then I suggest Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island. No restrooms nearby.. but you can rent a chaise, and there are enough people around to be safe.

Deserted beaches are targets for vagrants, drug dealers and robbers. Keep your thing close to you at all times.

Since we are only going to be in Nassau from 8:30 to 2:00, I don't want to pay $50 for two day passes for only 3-4 hours of beach time. I read a review on Trip Advisor for Cable Beach, that there is a public beach access on the street next to Dicky Mo's restaurant. Which would you recommend, Cable or Cabbage beach?

Since we are only going to be in Nassau from 8:30 to 2:00, I don't want to pay $50 for two day passes for only 3-4 hours of beach time. I read a review on Trip Advisor for Cable Beach, that there is a public beach access on the street next to Dicky Mo's restaurant. Which would you recommend, Cable or Cabbage beach?

I'd certainly choose Cabbage Beach over a deserted (and not cleaned or maintained) section of Cable Beach. The area near Dicky Mo's consists of a primitive drive way leading to broken concrete steps, onto an unused and unprotected section of Cable Beach. Not my idea of paradise.

I'd certainly choose Cabbage Beach over a deserted (and not cleaned or maintained) section of Cable Beach. The area near Dicky Mo's consists of a primitive drive way leading to broken concrete steps, onto an unused and unprotected section of Cable Beach. Not my idea of paradise.

Thank you!!!! Cabbage Beach it is then.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you get to Cabbage Beach from the cruise ship? Can you take a bus or taxi? How long does it take to get there?

Our family will be there on Sep 1st and thought we would go there for a couple of hours, have lunch out (or back to the ship for lunch if it's too pricey) check out Ardastra Gardens (only $53 for a family of 4), and then the straw market.

• 1 month later...

Archived