My return to NCL-NCL Spirit Boston to Bermuda 8-7-09 to 8/14/09

jimswims

Thanks to all who are reading this. I appreciate the comments. Here is the final chapter.

Friday, August 14th, Boston

I woke up at 6:00 am. NOOOOOOOOOOO! I cannot be back to Boston. I got up to look outside the door to see how bad the bill was. Yikes! It was more than I thought but not by much. There was one charge that I could not explain. After careful examination and a quick trip to the Reception desk I came to the conclusion that the charge in question was indeed mine. It was not labeled properly but it was still mine.

I returned to the cabin. I got showered and ready for the day. We all got up and got ready. It was time for us to go to our final sit down breakfast.

The food was again excellent and the coffee hit the spot. We got to see and show appreciation to many of the NCL staff that made our week extra special. We also got a chance to talk about how long they were on board and when there next vacation was. Some were staying with the Spirit until January. Others would be heading home soon and then heading to other NCL ships. Most said that they hoped to be back on the Spirit for the Boston to Bermuda 2010 season.

We left the dining room and headed up to the pool. NCL offers you the option to select your color code indicating the time you would like to disembark. I looked for the NEVER time slot and wondered what color that was! This was not an option so I chose pink. Pink was the last color to be called. Real men do wear pink I thought. I wondered if the saying “real men do cry” was also going to be needed.

As we walked up to the pool deck I noticed all the people in a very long line trying to disembark the vessel. I know that people have lives to get back to and obligations to attend to. Many probably had flights or other connections to get to as well. I was a local boy and not in any hurry. I thought of a conversation that I overheard yesterday. The person was talking about how they were planning on removing all of the gratuities because they just do not like to tip this was. Back and forth this conversation went and how if you give 100.00 they will be happy. That the money goes to corporate anyway and these people do not see a dime of it were other comments that I heard as well. I shake my head at these things. Fortunately, I did not hear too many of these conversations.

Maybe I am easy to please. I never met my room steward or stewardess. I do not even know his or her name(s)! However, my room was kept clean and I always had clean towels and ice when I needed it. I did not need to meet them to know that they did a nice job for me. I really noticed team work all over the Spirit this week. The morning staff in Raffles worked hard and then they became the night dining staff in the 10 restaurants. The bar staff was always ready, willing, and able to get drinks. My daughter and son both had soda cards. The staff was always willing to get them a drink whenever they wanted one. This was regardless of whether we ordered anything! I was really impressed by this.

We headed to Buccaneer's Wet and Wild and what do you know, my brother, sister-in-law, and their kids were sitting there all by themselves! We joined them and talked about the week. The kids had a great cruise and the parents did too! I found out later that my nephew offered his college fund to stay on-board. He is now my favorite nephew! I love this kid!

Then it happened. Paul Baya announced that pink could disembark the vessel. It was only 10:00! My Final Daily said approximately 10:30. What was he thinking? He was ruining this cruise for me, I thought. After a deep breath, we all got up and headed for the promenade. We were in line and the last call announcement was made.

I waved good bye to the NCL Spirit. A tear did come to my eye but only briefly. What a week! I strayed from NCL last summer and now I was welcomed home by the NCL Spirit. What a welcome back it was at that! NCL, you know I will be back soon. Thank you for a superb week full of nice surprises and special touches. This was a family cruise to remember for sure.

We were at the car and driving home at approximately 10:30 am. We were all very quiet. I was sad to say goodbye to this beautiful ship. I said a prayer of thanks for my my wife, my children, and my family. I also gave thanks to my friends near and far for their friendship and support. And, As our waiter said when I asked him how he was today as I was sitting down to breakfast, I am still blessed, thanks for asking!

The End.

Up next, final thoughts and comments.

That was a BEAUTIFUL review, Jim. Thank you for posting it. You're my kind of cruiser.:)

Kathy

Jim

What a wonderful positive review....right from the heart. I was touched reading about your parents dancing.

I am also from the North Shore. What time would you suggest getting to the pier to park in the garage? Does it fill up fast?

Thanks again for sharing your cruise with us.

Marie

Hello Marie,

We got to the pier at about 11:00 am. We left at 10:30 am. There was plenty of room in the parking garage.

Jim, DH and I were considering staying at the Atlantis Resort next year instead of a cruise:eek: After reading your review I think I would be disappointed in anything other than the Spirit.

Hi Joanne,

If I was not going on the Pearl to Alaska next August, I would be back on the Spirit. We are already hoping to be on the 1 day in September 2010. If the Spirit is back in Boston for 2011, we will be on it!

[quote name='jimswims']Hi Joanne,

If I was not going on the Pearl to Alaska next August, I would be back on the Spirit. We are already hoping to be on the 1 day in September 2010. If the Spirit is back in Boston for 2011, we will be on it![/QUOTE]

We're contemplating that one as well (too far away to call it though). If we could talk Coka into the one-nighter it could be the Dream revisited. ;) :D

[quote name='Cubechick']We're contemplating that one as well (too far away to call it though). If we could talk Coka into the one-nighter it could be the Dream revisited. ;) :D[/quote]

That would be fantastic!!! I'm in! ;)

Hey, Jim! Like my fellow travelers, I must thank you for this posting. We are heading out of Boston on 8/21 and look forward to the experience.
You are so right about the staff on NCL, they are such a warm and hard working group. I like to slip a tip into a separate envelop for my favorites and include the tips for others in my folio. God Bless you and yours. Karen :)

Jim,

Thanks for "taking us" on your cruise. The review made me feel like we were with you. I can't believe it has been a few years since we actually sailed with you on the Spirt out of NY. Glad to see that you are still enjoying cruising as much as we are.

Now I am looking forward to the Jewel in September and I am also looking forward to your review of the Pearl next year. It will be here sooner than you think.

Take care and thanks again for a great review.

Jeanne:)

[quote name='RI_Lady']Hey, Jim! Like my fellow travelers, I must thank you for this posting. We are heading out of Boston on 8/21 and look forward to the experience.
You are so right about the staff on NCL, they are such a warm and hard working group. I like to slip a tip into a separate envelop for my favorites and include the tips for others in my folio. God Bless you and yours. Karen :)[/quote]

Thank you Karen.

I wish you a fantastic and safe cruise. Blessings to you and yours as well:)!

[quote name='jeannep']Jim,

Thanks for "taking us" on your cruise. The review made me feel like we were with you. I can't believe it has been a few years since we actually sailed with you on the Spirt out of NY. Glad to see that you are still enjoying cruising as much as we are.

Now I am looking forward to the Jewel in September and I am also looking forward to your review of the Pearl next year. It will be here sooner than you think.

Take care and thanks again for a great review.

Jeanne:)[/quote]

Hi Jeanne,

I cannot believe that it has been 3 years since we both sailed on the Spirit either.

Enjoy the Jewel. I look forward to hearing how you liked it. Please give Joe my best!

Jim,
Excellent and thoughtful review...thanks for sharing all with us while we await our SPIRIT cruise. I've printed everything out to read before I go to sleep tonight. After reading bits and pieces as I printed it off, I know that I'm going to enjoy your tale. It reminds me of the one I wrote on these message boards after our cruise on the Norwegian Dawn back in 2005. You are terrific writer!

Debjo

[quote name='debjo']Jim,
Excellent and thoughtful review...thanks for sharing all with us while we await our SPIRIT cruise. I've printed everything out to read before I go to sleep tonight. After reading bits and pieces as I printed it off, I know that I'm going to enjoy your tale. It reminds me of the one I wrote on these message boards after our cruise on the Norwegian Dawn back in 2005. You are terrific writer!

Debjo[/quote]

DEBJO!!! Havent seen you on the boards in awhile. So glad you are out and around again. I hope you have been doing better.

Yes, our cruise is getting closer. :D Dont be a stranger.......the roll call has missed you. :)

Thanks for the great review Jim. I feel like I was there. Wait! I was!

Bob told me he was reading your review. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. It was fun to keep running into each other.

I have some great memories of our trip to a beautiful island and the great folks we met.

Joanne

[quote name='buddyjo143']Thanks for the great review Jim. I feel like I was there. Wait! I was!

Bob told me he was reading your review. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. It was fun to keep running into each other.

I have some great memories of our trip to a beautiful island and the great folks we met.

Joanne[/quote]

It was so great meeting you and Bob too. We had a great week!

I hope we cruise together again in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
First, thank you for all you put into sharing this diary with us. You would not have been happy knowing how many people were traveling with you in spirit. Your room would have been very crowded. Loved every description and every piece of information.

May I be so bold as to ask you a personal question? I am confused about tipping in the speciality restaurants? What was your view and how did you approach your decision as to what to do?
Room service also......did you just have a set price to give?
Everyone always says two things...one, not necessary as you are already
paying the "speciality" price, or two, if they give extra service (are they not expected to do this at the speciality places?. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

[quote name='Annabell#25']First, thank you for all you put into sharing this diary with us. You would not have been happy knowing how many people were traveling with you in spirit. Your room would have been very crowded. Loved every description and every piece of information.

May I be so bold as to ask you a personal question? I am confused about tipping in the speciality restaurants? What was your view and how did you approach your decision as to what to do?
Room service also......did you just have a set price to give?
Everyone always says two things...one, not necessary as you are already
paying the "speciality" price, or two, if they give extra service (are they not expected to do this at the speciality places?. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.[/quote]

Hi Annabell,

I am happy to share what I do regarding tipping in the Specialty restaurants and what I do for room service. I know there are lots of opinions on this topic. I do not mind sharing what we usually do. This is my opinion and what I do. I am not suggesting that anyone follow this.

Room Service: If we order room service, I usually give from 1 to 5 dollars depending on what we order. Most of the time it is coffee and something for the kids. We were in 2 cabins this year so we actually tipped for each since they were for 2 orders and delivered by 2 different staff so 2 tips were warranted.

Specialty Restaurants: We will tip extra in a Specialty restaurant when we feel that the service is great. We will tip in cash for this. The amount varies for us. I have tipped 10.00 and I have also tipped more than 50.00 for a dinner. This is not including the bar/wine/soda bill. That is a separate bill/charge slip. I think that in 7 cruises on NCL we have probably not tipped extra in a specialty restaurant twice. I think that is pretty low considering we enjoy the specialty restaurants on NCL and try to do several when we are on-board. This is above the daily service charge of course.

I am glad that you liked the review. It was a great trip. Enjoy your next cruise.

We are near the end of the first Spirit Bermuda season, and the vast majority of the reviews have been very positive. I expected as much before the season started, as the Spirit is a much better ship than the Majesty and Dream. It seems the people of New England and Boston agree....

I also enjoyed the Spirit's public areas aft as well.....

[quote name='Don Haynes']We are near the end of the first Spirit Bermuda season, and the vast majority of the reviews have been very positive. I expected as much before the season started, as the Spirit is a much better ship than the Majesty and Dream. It seems the people of New England and Boston agree....

I also enjoyed the Spirit's public areas aft as well.....[/quote]

Several of our friends went on the Spirit out of Boston this year. Most had been on the Majesty and the Dream just like we had. Everyone we know enjoyed the Spirit!

We will be on the Pearl to Alaska next year. I think that you have been on that one too Don.

I am sure that I will try to get back on the Spirit in 2011 if not sooner!

Thanks Jim for sharing your thoughts about tipping.
I guess my main concern is not tipping enough or too much,
can that ever be a problem :-)

I could post this question somewhere else but as you are such a great answerer of questions I'll just check here with you. Is it true that The Spirit does not use trays in the Buffet line? It's hard to picture carrying several plates in your hands. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Annabell#25']Thanks Jim for sharing your thoughts about tipping.
I guess my main concern is not tipping enough or too much,
can that ever be a problem :-)

I could post this question somewhere else but as you are such a great answerer of questions I'll just check here with you. Is it true that The Spirit does not use trays in the Buffet line? It's hard to picture carrying several plates in your hands. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Hi Annabell,

Thank you for the compliment:)!

I am going to type out what was printed on the Final Morning Insert of the Freestyle Daily. This may help with the tipping question:

"What is the service charge?

For your convenience, 12.00 per guest/day (3 yrs old and up) has been included on your on board credit account to take care of the restaurant staff and the housekeeping staff on board the Norwegian Spirit. In order to give you the quality of the service that you deserve, we have implemented a team gratuity concept. Instead of tipping a particular member of the restaurant or housekeeping staff, you are tipping the entire staff of each department. All staff rotates on a regualr basis to the different venues you have enjoyed this voyage. On behalf of the Waiters, Busboys, Room Stewards/ess and Maitre D's, thank you for cruising with us. For guests using the Concierge and Butler services, we recommend considering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered."

It is true that the buffet does not have trays. These were taken away a few years ago. I do not think that any NCL ship has them anymore, maybe the Majesty still does though.

Enjoy.:D

Archived