Question for Jeff in Torrance (or anyone who can help)

sandydownunder

Hi Jeff,

Read your advice to others re transfers from LAX on the bus.

My question to you is about getting to Del Amo Fashion Mall from LAX. We are staying at the Sheraton. I checked it out on the LA Metro site but their route is catching the Torrance 8 bus.

I actually did this trip last year on a LA stop over but I went on two buses and it was more scenic. The first bus went along the beach suburbs, and the second went up a hill into a housing development. I believe it may have been Pacific Palasades.

Do you know the numbers of those two buses?

What is the name of the beach suburb with the pier?

If we decided to get off the bus which beachside suburb is more interesting for tourists.

Thankyou,

Sandra

Any of these three, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, or Manhattan Beach.

Don't use busses, so couldn't advise you on schedules and stuff.

Hi Jeff,

My question to you is about getting to Del Amo Fashion Mall from LAX. We are staying at the Sheraton. I checked it out on the LA Metro site but their route is catching the Torrance 8 bus.

I actually did this trip last year on a LA stop over but I went on two buses and it was more scenic. The first bus went along the beach suburbs, and the second went up a hill into a housing development. I believe it may have been Pacific Palasades.

If we decided to get off the bus which beachside suburb is more interesting for tourists.

Thankyou,

Sandra

The "housing development on a hill" was probably Palos Verdes. (Pacific Palisades is north of LAX near Santa Monica). Not relevant, I know...:)

Depending on what you're shopping for there could be stores closer to the LAX area, but Del Amo will have a wide variety in one area. Note that Macy's gives discounts to foreign visitors (at least as of last year). Go to customer service first, show your passport and they will give you a discount card good for about 10-15%. You will avoid the oppressive sales tax that California and LA County charge.

Sorry, I live in another area of LA and have a car so can't answer your original question.

The bus along the beach suburbs is the 232. Assuming you are at the Sheraton at LAX, you can hop on it on Sepulveda, which changes names to Pacific Coast Highway along the route. The bus which goes up into the hill is the 444. The 444 and 232 intersect at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Hawthorne. Take 444 NORTH (away from the hill, backtracking towards LAX for a couple miles), and Del Amo is on the right.

http://metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/System_Map.pdf

Hi Jeff,

Hi Sandra:

I'm not sure if I understand your questions, exactly. Del Amo shopping center is in Torrance, although I'm not aware of a Sheraton in Torrance. Three of the "Southbay" beach cities have piers: Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Manhattan Beach. In addition, Santa Monica also has a pier, although that is well north of the LAX airport area, whereas Redondo, Hermosa and Manhattan are all between SAn Pedro and LAX.

I looked at the Torrance Transite website; and, they do have a Line 8 that goes to the Del Amo Mall. It also continues on to the LAX TRansit Terminal, adjacent to Lot C near LAX.

Could you clarify your question, please?

Thanks for your reply Jeff. We are staying at the Sheraton West Century Blvd LAX. The route I got from the LA Metro site to go to Del Amo seems a direct one ie just one bus the No 8.

Last year I did this trip but it was on two buses. The first one went along the beaches (Manhatten, Redonda etc). We got off and caught a second bus that took us up a hill into a housing estate then on to Del Amo. I wanted to know the numbers of those two buses.

Bruins has replied (and I am most grateful) that the buses are the 232 and the 444.Would you like to add anything eg name of the bus company, colour of the bus.

Appreciated,

Sandra

Thanks Wineaux

That was the site I used originally and it just gives the one direct route on bus 8. It does not give the alternatives. It is good to know we can get to Del Amo quite easily.

If we still want to go to the beaches we can do what Loganeski suggested and take the free shuttle fom the hotels at Century Blvd.

Sandra

Archived