Single & first time cruiser - what to expect

sea777guy

You might want to check out the "single" and "solo" threads in the Special Interest section. (Singles are unmarried people (available?) and solos are persons traveling alone (not necessarily single).)

I travel solo and was somewhat put off when checking in because everyone else seemed to be in couples or groups; that's not really the case, although solos are a small percentage of cruisers. Once on board you get to just do what you want, when you want. I think HAL does have a singles/solos get-together early in the cruise, but I'm not sure what they are like (my first cruise on HAL is later this year and I haven't been to such events on other lines). If you are concerned about not having someone to talk to, sign up for traditional dining--which means that you will have a set table for dinner every night at the same time and with the same tablemates; it's a good way to get to know some fellow travelers. On the other hand, if you are out-going and don't have trouble meeting people, you might want open dining, in which case you can meet new people every night or can dine alone.

Have a great cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Wine, Soda, Coffee cards

Soda card -- $20.70 for 20 glasses of soda -- this is about 1/2 can of soda. (A can of soda alone is $2 plus 15% gratuity.)

Cocktail card - $64.69 for 10 cocktails -- made with house alcohol. Premium brands -- there will be an extra charge.

House wine card -- 10 glasses for $41.40

House wine card -- 20 glasses for $77.63

Coffee card -- 10 speciality coffees at the Exploration's Café for $29.90.

All prices above include the 15% gratuity.

Archived