Acupuncture wrist bands/motion sickness

cpayne

We will be taking my folks on a cruise Jan 06. Mom took a cruise 25 yrs ago and was seasick. She has not sailed since then for fear of being sick again. Finally talked her in to it with the idea that with all the new technology ships are more stable and there are so many other "remedies" out there to help.

I've heard people on the boards talk about the acupuncture elastic wrist bands? Can anyone tell me more about this? Do you need a prescription to get this? Approximately how much do they cost?

I've heard all kinds of other suggestions:

1. Ginger tablets

2. Patch behind the ear

3. Book a cabin in the middle of the ship on a lower floor

4. Book a cabin near the dr's office as they place this office in the most stable part of the ship

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reminding me. I've been trying to find the Sea-Band in a store, with no luck. So I'm going to order it from CVS online. I haven't tried it yet myself but heard pretty decent feedback about it, as compared to the other approaches you listed, so I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=109278&ActiveCat=499^Query=Sea+Band

Hello, The first cruise that I went on I was scared that I would get sick, I bought the bands from CVS also. I did get a little bit of a queazy stomache the first few hours, I put the presser piont bands on and with in 1/2 hour it was gone. The work like a charm, I took them off after a couple of hours and never felt sick again. On the second cruise my dad went and the same thing with him, The work great.

Hi

I went on a cruise 2 years ago and took a less drowsy dramaine every morning. It worked great. One morning my mom woke up and didn't feel good and she took it and it made her feel better. Bonine is the one I just bought for our cruise on the 9th of January it is better than dramaine. The wrist bands work too. I just didn't like wearing them around and they aren't that comfortable. The patch I did take with me last time and I didn't use it. Read the side effects on it. That you can get a dry mouth and get dizzy on it. I used it when I had surgery with no problem this month it does help nausea. The only thing is on the cruise 2 years ago I had a lady run into me and she said I am sorry I am so dizzy. I just don't feel good. I saw she had a patch on and I suggested she take it off because that was a side effect. I ran into her the next day and she thanked me she said she felt 100% better. Just my 2 cents. Hope you enjoy your cruise I am looking so forward to ours!!

Krista

I used the accupressure bands with bonine on our first cruise, and it worked quite well. We had really rough seas on that cruise. If you do start to feel a bit ill, if you can get to where you can see the horizon, it will usually help. Just wear your bands and take the bonine even if you don't feel ill.

Actually, we have good results with the seabands after the queasy feeling starts. It takes about 20 minutes or so, but it does work. Most of the time I will start the non-drowsy formula OTC meds the night before embarkation, then use the bands only if the seas are rough, or if we go on a small vessel for an excursion. I wait until the nausea starts before putting them on.

We have been on cruises where you have to hang on to stay in bed (not alcohol related, either) and the sea bands take away my nausea. I wish I had known about seabands the first trimester of my pregnancies.

I've been lucky to never have been sea sick so this is all new to me. Trying to do what I can to help my mom have a better cruise, though. Might seem like a silly question, but how long does one band last? What is the cost of these bands?

Thanks.

They most certainly work...at least for morning sickness. It was the only way I made it through the first trimester of both my pregnancies. That and ginger tea! You should be able to find them at any big store...Target, Walmart, Shopko...etc.

Two thumbs up for Sea Bands!

Interesting. I think I need the Sea-Bands more in calm water than in rough water. I find the evident movement easier to stomach (pardon the pun) than the subtle movement. I think for me it is a bit like those theme park simulator rides: The ones that have rough shaking motion I'm okay one, but I turn green on the ones that undulate.

Archived