Port Holes in Outside Cabins

Has anyone ever had a porthole in their outside cabin? Or possibly two

> portholes in their outside cabin? Does it provide enough of an openness to

> make the room seem bigger than an inside cabin like a regular sized window

> in an outside cabin does? Can you actually see anything out of them? We

> booked an outside guarantee and received a cabin with what appears to be two

> port holes. I'm a little concerned as to whether or not it's worth the

> extra money we paid vs. the cost of an inside cabin which is what we

> originally booked, but later changed. Any insight on this would be helpful.

One of our friends and us booked oceanview rooms on the Rhapsody. He got a room with 2 portholes. His room was closer to the bow, and the portholes appeared 2 to 3 feet thick, thru the side of the ship. It was weird looking out them. Kind of like a telescope! We have had portholes before, but they were flush with the ship. Crazy thing is, he paid single supplement for that room! Yikes. I would rather have a window of any kind, though. I have to be able to see outside! Hope this helps and I explained the porthole situation good enough.

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/99

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

Thanks for your response S.S. I was afraid you wouldn't be able to see much out of the portholes. But I didn't realize the glass would be that thick. We're on the Vision to Alaska next month. So I'm sure it's going to be the same situation that your friend had on the Rhapsody. Oh well. At least we'll have daylight and hopefully the room will seem bigger and brighter than an inside cabin would have. If anyone else has any insight on any of this, We'd appreciate your help.

You know, I pulled out my brochure with the ship layout. Now that I look at it, it looks like rooms 4006, 4008 and 4506 and 4508 are the only 2 that have a space on side of ship. They are on deck 4. Don't know what deck you are on, but may luck out. I believe he was in 4008. Have fun, Alaska is beautiful, so I hear.

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

We had an outside cabin years ago with portholes on Costa Classica. The portholes were OK and we could look out of them and watch the waves spray up. I sort of liked them, but have since used a balcony suite. I love to sit on the balcony(verandah?) and watch the sea go by.

Gene in Birmingham

S.S., all those cruises and none to Alaska? You should try it out. I've never been there either. But we have our excursions booked for all 4 ports. We only booked one through RCCL and 4 on our own (we're taking two in Juneau). It's an awesome itinerary. We're in cabin 3004. It's actually closer to the front than 4008, I think. That's what it looks like when I look at the layout on www.cruisestateroom.com. I'm also looking a picture someone posted on www.cruisemates.com. And it appears that the 3rd deck of windows on the ship is the last with double portholes. Does the 1st deck have no windows?

Gene, we'd love a balcony. But they're very expensive on Alaska cruises and we still have 4 kids at home. 2 in elementary and 2 in high school. So you can understand why we're not on the balcony for now. I'm glad to know you were able to see out your porthole. I'll still hold out hope that we'll be able to.

If you provide us with the name of the ship, we'll be able to give you more specific information. However, if you've already booked a guarantee and final payment has passed, there's probably not much you can do.

Personally, I don't think many porthole or picture window oceanview rooms are worth the money as most rooms are laid out in such a way that you have to kneel on the bed to see outside. As a result, they're only good for natural light. However, I truly enjoy the balconies, but would only pay the money if it were for a special occassion or a scenic itinerary like Alaska.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

While I would prefer a balcony, we've had portholes (as well as inside cabins). I do like the light, especially in the morning, but wouldn't ever plan to look outside. Of course, many regular outside rooms are arranged with the beds in front of the windows (I've been looking at the plans for Celebrity's Horizon), so you wouldn't look out those either. One thing I do like about the porthole cabins is that you can often listen to the sound of the sea.

I've had 2 cabins with a picture window and 1 cabin with only 1 porthole....OMG...I couldn't believe how small the porthole was...I didn't have a choice...when I booked it was the only outside left. I will never settle for anything less than a picture window again. I need to see the outside world...I'm just a tad chlosterphobic (spelling?)...but sunlight is really important to me. I didn't think it would be a big deal...but it was.

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by two cruisers 723:

S.S., all those cruises and none to Alaska? You should try it out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two: DH does not fly. That kind of restricts us to the west coast. Its okay with me. We never see the same thing twice in port. Plus with the newer itinerary going up into the Sea of Cortez, we have several new ports to still see! Plus just got a brochure from Holland America, they are doing a 21 day from San Diego to San Diego thru the Panama Canal, making a u-turn there and coming back! Don't know if I could do 21 days, but what the heck would give it a try. Pricing was not that bad either. Cheaper than their round trip to Hawaii.

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

S.S. Sounds like you have a lot of good options. I wish we were closer and could drive more often. We live in the middle of the U.S. so that kind of limits our ability to drive to departure ports very often. Don't know how far it would be for you, but you can always cruise to Alaska out of Seattle if you like long drives. We took our kids on a cruise out of Galveston 2 years ago and drove 13 hours to get there to avoid having to buy 6 plane tickets. And we're thinking about driving to New Orleans to take them on a cruise next year which is even further. So I guess it can be done if you don't mind the drive.

Every once in while I will see round trip from San Francisco to Alaska. Just never seems to be the right time. As long as I get my cruise in, I'm happy. To San Diego is an 8 hour drive for us. That pretty much maxes (word) us out. I feel sorry for you guys in mid states. The airfare is usually higher than the cruise!

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

You got that right. We once took a 3 day on the Majesty and flew into Ft. Lauderdale. The cruse was $259 and the plane tickets were $275. This won't be the case on the Vision to Alaska though. Airfare to Seattle and from Anchorage, $700 total. Cruise wasn't bad though. $799 each for our porthole cabin (ha) and we had a $125 per stateroom credit from the magazine that comes for being a Crown & Anchor member. So the plane fare was about half of the cruise in this case. It's the tours in Alaska that kill you! We've booked everything in all 4 ports already. 5 tours are costing over $2,000! But we're doing it right. Alaska here we come. We sail 6 weeks from today.

Two: I went to cruisestaterooms and you may just luck out with your portholes being more flush with the side of the ship. The closer you get to the front, the less density, because it starts going to the point of the ship. Like we said 4008 was further back. I think you got a better room. Let us know when you get back how your portholes were situated. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

two cruisers - on my last cruise which was in April we sailed on the Granduer of the seas which is a sister ship of the Vision (I've been on the Vision before too). Anyway, we booked outside guaranteed and ended up in the 1st 2 rooms forward on the 2nd floor - 2508 & 2510. These rooms had 2 portholes. Yes, they sit back a bit, but you can still see out of them. Not like a picture window though but better than an inside cabin.

Now what was nice is because we were where the the ship curves, there was about a 2 foot "window seat" between where the regular wall should go and where the portholes are. This gives you more room to store things like luggage and items you bought in port etc.. It turned out better than I anticpiated.

Maureen

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

Thanks S.S. and iluvcruzin! I'm starting to feel better now. It's got to be better than having no window at all. I'll let you know how it turns out. It just can't get here soon enough. Guess that's pretty obvious or I wouldn't be on this board off and on all day when I'm supposed to be working if you know what I mean.

Archived