Beware of the ship sailing when last names of travelers do not match!!!

Thank you for the inside view of things. I agree with the majority of what you say. The difference to me is that I was given options and those options were time wasted and I could have had someone bring the original. I myself, would not give a fax number to someone and then not accept it.

Wow...I'm realizing how fortunate (and naive) I was when I took my daughter's best friend along on her high school graduation cruise. The friend took her birth certificate, because she did not have a passport. My children had passports. Obviously, the friend's name did not match mine and the CCL employee asked the girl what her mother's middle name was. She said that I wasn't her mother. We were late arriving (flight delay) and stressed and they just let us on the ship. It never even occurred to me that her parents should have given me a notarized letter.

When I was younger, my parents sometimes took along one of our friends when vacationing. In current times, I guess it's common to assume the worst. How sad.

Sorry this happened to you but . . . it's a result of the Child Endangerment Act due to parental kidnappings etc. Not a new law - went into effect several years ago. On the flip side - God forbid, we atleast know RCCL enforces the law.

When I applied for my daughter's passport 3yrs ago - we were told that in addition to a passport, we would need to provide 1) original birth certificate that links our names together and 2) Letter of Consent for International Travel (signed / notarized by the dad).

Don't know who you booked your cruise with but . . . Your TA should be aware of the rules & regs and informed you appropriately. This is their job, after all. If you want to be mad at someone (and I certainly feel your pain - awful!) - it should be your travel agent.

Thank you for the inside view of things. I agree with the majority of what you say. The difference to me is that I was given options and those options were time wasted and I could have had someone bring the original. I myself, would not give a fax number to someone and then not accept it.

Denise...very sorry to hear this happened to you and thanks for posting the heads up for others.

Just a little advice on posting here....you sent several replies, in, I assume, response to others posts. It would be easier to follow if you use the "Quote" function at the bottom right hand corner of the post you are replying to as I did above. :)

Denise...very sorry to hear this happened to you and thanks for posting the heads up for others.

Just a little advice on posting here....you sent several replies, in, I assume, response to others posts. It would be easier to follow if you use the "Quote" function at the bottom right hand corner of the post you are replying to as I did above. :)

thank you -

We won a cruise!: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruis...#uslPageReturn

2702274900100082454fEAURw_th.jpg

Congratulations on your big win!!!

Thanks for the information. I just presumed that if the kids had passports I wouldn't need their birth certificates.

I guess since my kid's bio-fahter is deceased, I'd have to bring a copy of his death certificate as well?

Thank you for your kind words. My reasoning for the posting was so that no one ever goes through what I did. Just to be on the safe side take with you a certified notarized copy of Birth Certificates or the Originals. I just got a call from Royal Caribbean wanted to talk to me. I have high regards for Royal and I feel confident that this will be addressed.

Was this resolved?

What I don't understand is a letter would prove nothing, as how would they authenticate it anyway. I could write a letter and sign it from her father, so this policy is not protecting any one.

Not true. It's protecting the cruise line and that's what really counts (to them anyway). Can you imagine the lawsuit if a child was abducted and they hadn't asked for paperwork?

Denisecentrocrusin,

I can only imagine how upsetting this whole experience must have been! I would have been a complete emotional basket case if I EVER had to watch my ship pull away without me. Cannot even imagine the frustration this caused you. Sorry this happened, I hope RCCL has some resolution for you.

Wow...I'm realizing how fortunate (and naive) I was when I took my daughter's best friend along on her high school graduation cruise. The friend took her birth certificate, because she did not have a passport. My children had passports. Obviously, the friend's name did not match mine and the CCL employee asked the girl what her mother's middle name was. She said that I wasn't her mother. We were late arriving (flight delay) and stressed and they just let us on the ship. It never even occurred to me that her parents should have given me a notarized letter.

When I was younger, my parents sometimes took along one of our friends when vacationing. In current times, I guess it's common to assume the worst. How sad.

You got through because of the age. At age 16 a child does not need permission of the guardian parent to travel. Under age 16 they do. Although its a good idea for the sake of emergency treatment etc.

Not true. It's protecting the cruise line and that's what really counts (to them anyway). Can you imagine the lawsuit if a child was abducted and they hadn't asked for paperwork?

The cruise line only reviews the parental letter. I have never seen them keep a copy for their records...

This is scary to me. We took our 10 year old granddaughter on the Freedom in June (different last name) and had her passport and notarized letter from her dad but not a birth certificate. Next year when we take our grandson we'll be sure to have all three.

We weren't asked to show anything but the passport so not all ships were enforcing the rule in June.

This is scary to me. We took our 10 year old granddaughter on the Freedom in June (different last name) and had her passport and notarized letter from her dad but not a birth certificate. Next year when we take our grandson we'll be sure to have all three.

We weren't asked to show anything but the passport so not all ships were enforcing the rule in June.

the birth certificate is to show connection from parent to child, in your case it wont' matter, you are the grandparent not parent.

the birth certificate is to show connection from parent to child, in your case it wont' matter, you are the grandparent not parent.

That doesn't exactly make sense to me.... I could abduct my grandchildren who have different names, without proof of my relationship to them, but if their mother wants to take them and her name is different she has to prove her relationship to them. No one has ever asked me to prove that I am their grandmother.......am I missing something here?

That doesn't exactly make sense to me.... I could abduct my grandchildren who have different names, without proof of my relationship to them, but if their mother wants to take them and her name is different she has to prove her relationship to them. No one has ever asked me to prove that I am their grandmother.......am I missing something here?

If you read the website it says what is needed for parents with children with a different name, for other non parent it shows that too, In your case I assume you had a notarized letter? Sorry I don't presume to understand some of the crazy rules for travel or if they make sense ....which many don't.

If you read the website it says what is needed for parents with children with a different name, for other non parent it shows that too, In your case I assume you had a notarized letter? Sorry I don't presume to understand some of the crazy rules for travel or if they make sense ....which many don't.

Yes, I always travel with all the needed documents. No one at RCCL has ever asked for them... which is why I am puzzled by this thread... and also puzzled by their erratic rules. :rolleyes:

The only cruise line that has ever asked to inspect my documents was HAL.

Yes, I always travel with all the needed documents. No one at RCCL has ever asked for them... which is why I am puzzled by this thread... and also puzzled by their erratic rules. :rolleyes:

The only cruise line that has ever asked to inspect my documents was HAL.

A case of it all matters who you get when you check in. I suspect that you will always bring the correct docs just is case.:)

My mother took my daughter on a cruise for her high school graduation in June 1999. Since my daughter was only 17 we were told to provide a notarized letter referencing my mother by name and giving her permission to take our daughter from New York State where we lived then to Florida and on the cruise. Also mentioned she had our permission to speak for her for any medical treatments if needed. My DH and I both had to sign the notarized letter. She also had her passport with her but I don't remember sending a birth certificate.

These rules have been around a long time, but had they not told my mother these things I don't know if back then we would have noticed it on the paperwork. I'm much more into reading the fine print now however.

I was told what I needed by a travel agent at AAA when I booked our first cruise, thank goodness. I would not have read all the fine print in our booking conditions I am sure.

When someone books with minors of a different name it should not be too difficult for RCCL to specifically email that person to spell out EXACTLY what documents are needed to travel, it would have saved the OP a lot of upset if that had been programmed into the system....

A lot of policies at RCCL are open to who is at the desk when you check in, who is working customer service when you call- there is far too much inconsistency. :(

If you had her passport, you shouldn't need her birth certificate.

I am a Notary and always orient people and do travel letters & POA on a daily basis. Just so hard when you always find a way to make things work and someone gives you a rollercoaster ride.

Sorry to read about your bad time. I know that you and your daughter must have been greatly distressed. I know that I would have been. Just a comment here, but my sister is a Notary because of her job and has to notarize many documents daily. She is not allowed to notarize anything for herself. How do you get away with this? Just curious. BTW, I thought your letter to the CEO was too long-winded and rambling. I think you would have done better to keep it short and sweet. JMO.

Archived