Nile cruise without a tour

skoi13

I've done some searching, but probably not as thorough as I should have, and haven't been able to find an answer to my question.

I'm planning to be in North Africa next summer to take an intensive Arabic course. Since I'll already be there, we figured it would be worthwhile to have my husband come over and visit, then return home with me. He wants to go on a Nile cruise, but a tour of the length I've seen offered might not be possible because we're leaving our four kids at home with relatives.

So my questions: Do they even run the cruises in the summer (and yes, I know it will be horribly hot, but summer is the only time I can go due to school obligations with the kids)?

Any advice on booking just a cruise directly with the different cruise companies?

Thanks.

We went on a tour in May and sailed on the Royal Lotus. Our tour company made the arrangements, but while I was on the ship, I picked up the ship's brochure and they had cruises going all year round - either 3 nights from Luxor to Aswan, or 4 nights from Aswan to Luxor. The price included all the sightseeing in the area. You need to fly from Cairo to Luxor or Aswan (or take an overnight train to Luxor). No cruise ships sail from Cairo to Luxor anymore (security concerns), so they all start in Luxor or Aswan. You can Google Royal Lotus or Nile cruise ships to see the choices.

We did the three night one and the ship was lovely. There are other river boats that do a 7 night cruise - we opted for a few nights in hotels in Luxor and Aswan to be able to see the sights in more depth.

Just be careful about dehydration - especially in Aswan - although it is a dry heat, it can be brutal. Make sure you bring along one of those small, handheld fans.

And a small folding umbrella - standing out in the sun listening to your guide WILL be hot.

As far as tour operators are concerned, you might like to look at www.touregypt.net - a site with links aplenty, as well as more information on Ancient Egypt than you knew existed:).

Archived