One day in Barcelona~~& need some unusual help

Natasha708

Hi Spain experts :)

I have one day 8 to 6 PM in Barcelona with my family.

I have been there two or three times before, but I do not know the answer to my question.

I am coming in on the Grand Princess.

I heard or read there is a public bus that picks up right by the port & will take us to Sagrada Familia for 1 or 2 Euro.

I know there is three Barcelona Metro stations with entrances in la Rambla, all of which are served by L3, the green line, but is there a bus?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Warm Regards,

Natasha

If you google something simple like BARCELONA BUS COMPANY PUBLIC TRANSPORT BARCELONA or whatever, you should get to TMB very easily. All the info you need is on their site. It is easy to use.

You can also access transport info from the bcn dot es site, click english then tourism. masses of useful info.

Hi Natascha708

Yes, is true, in Rambla you have three Barcelona Metro stations with entrances in la Rambla (Drassanes, Liceu, Catalunya) but I recomended:

1. When you go out from the port, go to the Ramblas in the Drassanes Metro station (go to direction Trinitat Nova). Go and low to Passeig de Gracia Metro station. This is the 3rd Stop Metro Station.

2. In Passeig de Gracia Metro station. Go to L2, the lilac or fuchsia line (go to direction Pep Ventura or la Pau), and go to the Sagrada Familia Metro stop. This is the 3rd Metro stop.

In this image, I marked in lilac the route you have to do.

planometro.jpg

In these websites also you have interesting information.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-metro-map.html

http://www.tmb.cat/ca_ES/home.jsp

In this web you have a prices of tickets http://www.tmb.cat/ca_ES/barcelona/moute/targetes/t_10.jsp

And attention some tickets, not to serve all metro and bus:

The prices the ticket single ride on metro (1.35€) is only for underground and the ticket can be used the bus, the train by the underground (http://www.tmb.cat/ca_ES/barcelona/moute/targetes/targetes.jsp)

Finally this is the website to the bus

http://www.tmb.net/ca_ES/barcelona/moute/planols/planols.jsp

but I think it's going to bus is a little more complicated to work, the lines ...

And If you have questions you know, please ask me

If you google something simple like BARCELONA BUS COMPANY PUBLIC TRANSPORT BARCELONA or whatever, you should get to TMB very easily. All the info you need is on their site. It is easy to use.

You can also access transport info from the bcn dot es site, click english then tourism. masses of useful info.

Thank you. Yes, I did go to their site before I posted this thread. I emailed them and the email bounced back. So although it looked easy it was not. I don't know the address of where the ship comes in. And that is what you need to do a point to point on their web site.

Thanks so much for trying to help. :)

but I think it's going to bus is a little more complicated to work, the lines ...

And If you have questions you know, please ask me

Narfer:

Thank you so much for all your work on that map!

But~~ Simply is there a bus that even comes to the cruise port terminal? If so, do you know the address of the terminal so I can use the web site you linked and do a point to point?

I know there is a shuttle, but that is not the same as the public bus.

Unless you are saying it is just too many bus changes and the underground train (metro) makes more sense.

Do you know how many miles away Sagrada is from the cruise ships? Thank you again for all your time on this. :0 I really do appreciate it!

Hi Natasha,

Although we are big fans of using subways and buses (and did in Barcelona), with four people, I would consider using a taxi to get to Sagrada Familia. Taxis aren't that expensive in Barcelona, and beating the crowds to the Sagrada Familia will mean less time waiting to get in, and more time to spend at other sites. Someone who has been there recently will hopefully be able to confirm the approximate cost ... but I think it will be 15-20 euros from the pier to the Sagrada. Distance is ~5 miles.

Here's a site with info on cruise docks and transportation ... you will probably be at Moll Adossat (A,B,C &D piers on the map). (When you get your cruise documents, it will tell you the name of the pier.) http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html I'm think that the only bus (other than charters) in/out of the terminal, is the shuttle that runs between the bottom of Las Ramblas (at the Christopher Columbus monument) and the pier.

Hi Natasha,

Although we are big fans of using subways and buses (and did in Barcelona), with four people, I would consider using a taxi to get to Sagrada Familia. Taxis aren't that expensive in Barcelona, and beating the crowds to the Sagrada Familia will mean less time waiting to get in, and more time to spend at other sites. Someone who has been there recently will hopefully be able to confirm the approximate cost ... but I think it will be 15-20 euros from the pier to the Sagrada. Distance is ~5 miles.

Here's a site with info on cruise docks and transportation ... you will probably be at Moll Adossat (A,B,C &D piers on the map). (When you get your cruise documents, it will tell you the name of the pier.) http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html I'm think that the only bus (other than charters) in/out of the terminal, is the shuttle that runs between the bottom of Las Ramblas (at the Christopher Columbus monument) and the pier.

Hi Susan! Thank you so much. I think you are right. A cab may be the best idea afterall. LOL

I was also thinking of the HOHO bus for this one day. I have seen Sagrada from the outside, both front & back. But we didn't go in. So this time I really wanted to spend time doing that.

I also want to have lunch between 2-4, somewhere on Las Ramblas. I'm hoping for a great place that will have Sangria, Tapas, & Paella. Any ideas on that, or should I start a new thread? Hehehe

Again, Thanks so much.

Warm Regards,

Natasha

Hi Natasha,

You're welcome.:)

Re restaurants ... we really enjoyed the Barri Gotic area (just off Las Ramblas), esp. Placa Reial ... a wonderful square! We had dinner there; not sure what is open for lunch? http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/areas/gothic-quarter-barcelona.html

Re the HOHO ... if you have a few destinations in mind, I think you would be further ahead both cost-wise and time wise to take taxis or metro. From Sagrada, you can take the metro to Casa Mila (not sure if you've been inside, but it's very interesting!) and then either walk or take the metro to Placa Catalunya to stroll down Las Ramblas. If you want to squeeze in another site, Parc Guell is wonderful (better reached by taxi or bus as it's a hike from the metro stop...and probably best to fit it in between Sagrada and Las Ramblas.)

You're right. I have only seen it from the outside. I thought people lived in there. You can go in and see it?

It was originally built as an apartment building, but is now a museum. Even more interesting inside than out ... so be sure to add it to your itinerary if you can.

Scroll down to #4 on this site for a few more details: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/general/barcelona-tourist-attractions.html

It was originally built as an apartment building, but is now a museum. Even more interesting inside than out ... so be sure to add it to your itinerary if you can.

Scroll down to #4 on this site for a few more details: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/general/barcelona-tourist-attractions.html

Wow very cool.

OK I'm embarrassed to ask you another question. I feel like you are doing all my work for me. But, with only one short day there I will humble myself and hope you will show me mercy.

How far is it from Sagrada? Can we walk it? Thanks again!

Wow very cool.

OK I'm embarrassed to ask you another question. I feel like you are doing all my work for me. But, with only one short day there I will humble myself and hope you will show me mercy.

How far is it from Sagrada? Can we walk it? Thanks again!

Not to worry ... I ask a lot of questions and couldn't plan half the things we do in port if I didn't get help from others both here and on Tripadvisor.:)

It's just over a mile, so it is walkable, but I would save your energy to walk from Casa Mila to Placa Catalunya (at the top of Las Ramblas) and then down Las Ramblas. (Distance from Casa Mila to the bottom of Las Ramblas where the shuttle back to the ship is, is less than two miles.)

There are metro stops near Sagrada Familia and Casa Mila ... it's just two stops on the blue line from Sagrada to Diagonal stop for Casa Mila. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-metro-map.html

Google maps is a great place to get directions ... they also give walking directions. I was able to get directions from Sagrada Familia to La Pedrera (Casa Mila) to Placa Catalunya to Christopher Columbus Monument (at the bottom of Las Ramblas.) I'm going to try to post the link here to the map and walking directions (I included Placa Reial along Las Ramblas, mentioned in my post above): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sagrada+Familia,+Barcelona,+Spain&daddr=la+pedrera+to:placa+catalunya+to:placa+reial+to:christopher+columbus+monument&hl=en&geocode=FYXLdwIdPTchAA%3B%3B%3B%3BFXJZdwIdqTohACEr0WUrFamMLw&mra=ls&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&sll=41.390719,2.1698&sspn=0.039665,0.058365&ie=UTF8&z=14

Not to worry ... I ask a lot of questions and couldn't plan half the things we do in port if I didn't get help from others both here and on Tripadvisor.:)

It's just over a mile, so it is walkable, but I would save your energy to walk from Casa Mila to Placa Catalunya (at the top of Las Ramblas) and then down Las Ramblas. (Distance from Casa Mila to the bottom of Las Ramblas where the shuttle back to the ship is, is less than two miles.)

There are metro stops near Sagrada Familia and Casa Mila ... it's just two stops on the blue line from Sagrada to Diagonal stop for Casa Mila. http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelona-metro-map.html

Google maps is a great place to get directions ... they also give walking directions. I was able to get directions from Sagrada Familia to La Pedrera (Casa Mila) to Placa Catalunya to Christopher Columbus Monument (at the bottom of Las Ramblas.) I'm going to try to post the link here to the map and walking directions (I included Placa Reial along Las Ramblas, mentioned in my post above): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Sagrada+Familia,+Barcelona,+Spain&daddr=la+pedrera+to:placa+catalunya+to:placa+reial+to:christopher+columbus+monument&hl=en&geocode=FYXLdwIdPTchAA%3B%3B%3B%3BFXJZdwIdqTohACEr0WUrFamMLw&mra=ls&dirflg=w&doflg=ptm&sll=41.390719,2.1698&sspn=0.039665,0.058365&ie=UTF8&z=14

Great info! CC & Trip Advisor & the whole internet are such a huge help. I am printing like mad over here. Should be a great day in Spain. Thank you so much!

We were on The Crown Princess in May. There was both a Princess shuttle and a local bus that took you out of the port area. Both went a limited distance. Both dropped you very near the metro. We hopped on the metro and went straight to the Familia Sagrada. (There is a metro stop right out front) We were there early before the crowds. We had NO wait time to go up and view the city from the mosaic covered spires. The line for that alone can be hours long. We took the metro to the Gaudi Park, making sure we took the metro line that came up on the back side of the park, the side with the escalators! There was still an area that we had to walk up to the park that must have been at a 30 percent grade. My thighs hurt just thinking about it! Next time, I think we'll take a cab to the park! We took the metro all day long and saw nearly everything on our list. The metro was clean, cheap, and fast.

We were on The Crown Princess in May. There was both a Princess shuttle and a local bus that took you out of the port area. Both went a limited distance. Both dropped you very near the metro. We hopped on the metro and went straight to the Familia Sagrada. (There is a metro stop right out front) We were there early before the crowds. We had NO wait time to go up and view the city from the mosaic covered spires. The line for that alone can be hours long. We took the metro to the Gaudi Park, making sure we took the metro line that came up on the back side of the park, the side with the escalators! There was still an area that we had to walk up to the park that must have been at a 30 percent grade. My thighs hurt just thinking about it! Next time, I think we'll take a cab to the park! We took the metro all day long and saw nearly everything on our list. The metro was clean, cheap, and fast.

Which one did you take the Princess shuttle or the public bus? It dropped you near the metro, and then you took that to the Gaudi Park stop? Thanks! Were you on the Grand Princess? Thx again!

Archived