anyone try the stone island tour thru...

arms4

I understand you can take a water taxi there cheap but we decided to book with Mazatalan Frank

50.00 per person and he will give us a city tour first. I want to see the cliff divers and some of the city so we get the best of both worlds this way.

we booked thru Johann and Sandra. picked-up/brought back to port. An hour boat ride to see the caves, the light tower, islands covered with bird ***t, little bit of folkloric story about the islands, both in English but sounded a lot more in Spanish as the passengers are not all from the cruise ships. Then we were brought to a dock where a tractor with cart was waiting for us to bring us to the resort. Lunch, alcohol, soda included. shaded palapas and 2 activities provided. My kids did horsebackriding and banana boat ride. Or just laze in the beach and enjoy!!!! Only 36 for adult and --18--kids.

Plus some, like Johan and Sandra, just ticket you out and have no idea which tour company you would end up with. As mentioned on this board before, they are just brokers and as such really don't pay much attention to who you go with.

Just as a piece of general (not specific) information, there is no agency anywhere in the world that I've ever heard of who would ticket you without knowing exactly who you were going with, and taking responsibility for your enjoyment of your experience. This is not just in Mexico, but anywhere. Every agency, including your cruise ship, works with specific tour operators they trust and have a relatiionship with - there is not a generic pool that you get thrown into, and someone draws straws and sees who gets stuck with you. They also back you up and provide customer support for you if there is any issue. It is organized and professional, and that agency's reputation depends on the quality of the tour operators they choose to associate themselves with. This goes for any agency, from CruiseCritic to your ship to any hotel to any reputable independent agency you choose to book with in any city on any cruise.

I have used this company twice (once in 2006 and again in Nov 2008). I have recommended them to others who have taken the Mexican Riviera cruise.

The Stone Island tour is very good. They pick you up at the cruise ship, give you a tour of downtown Mazatlan, a boat ride to see the seal and pelicans, and then take you to Stone Island. At Stone Island, you have the restaurant with lunch and open bar and beach activities. Later in the day, they take you back to the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, did this tour same "special" price a couple of years ago. It was a bargain! Stone Island is across from the ship terminal and you can see the docks for the tours from the ship. Be prepared however, if you book it that it serves primarily Spanish speaking vacationers...so they make announcements on the boat mostly in Spanish with some English thrown in. Or at least on that tour they did. Wife not fluent understands some and I a bit more were able to understand what was said and when to get on off the boat. Tour of the seal rock caves etc OK. Also, had a tour of downtown cathedral park area that was free. Stone Island relaxing and you could do 2 activities, horse back ride and banana boat were our choice. Lots for kids to do with beach and assorted beach toys. Meal and 1 or 2 beers was included. Met some nice Mexican nationals on vacation. We were the only gringos on this tour but, we felt at home.;)

Archived