Atlantis Dolphin Cay - Deep or Shallow Water?

jlazz

I am trying to decide which excursion to do when we get to Nassau. I want to do what I've seen friends do, which is get in the water and swim w/the dolphins. When I look at the info from Carnival, it shows 2 options...1) shallow water, where you stand waist deep in water on a platform and 2) deep water, where you get a some kind of motorized scooter and swim w/the dolphins. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of each? I want to really interact w/the dolphins. I'd like to be able to touch the dolphins, hold onto their fins as they swim me around and do the famous foot push thing. Will either of these excursions give me the interaction that I'm looking for?

Thx in advance!

I am trying to decide which excursion to do when we get to Nassau. I want to do what I've seen friends do, which is get in the water and swim w/the dolphins. When I look at the info from Carnival, it shows 2 options...1) shallow water, where you stand waist deep in water on a platform and 2) deep water, where you get a some kind of motorized scooter and swim w/the dolphins. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of each? I want to really interact w/the dolphins. I'd like to be able to touch the dolphins, hold onto their fins as they swim me around and do the famous foot push thing. Will either of these excursions give me the interaction that I'm looking for?

Thx in advance!

Not sure which ship you're on or what itenerary you'll be following but you may want to check out http://dolphinencounters.com/

I'm looking to do my excursion with them. The encounter is only $98 and the swim is only $186 versus Atlantis which is $163 and $270!

I'm on the Pride and we'll be in Nassau until 10pm so I'll have PLENTY of time to do this as their last boat out is at 3:30pm. Check into it and see if it's for you.

Please not that I have never been on this excursion before. I can only attest to the prices that were quoted on the website and confirmed by phone.

I'm on the Miracle 8/28, Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau).

Are there 2 different dolphin attractions at Atlantis? Carnival Miracle talks about Dolphin Cay, and you mentioned dolphin encounters. Do you know the differences between all of them? Also, since you are booking on your own, do they still charge you if for some reason your ship can't make it into that port?

Thx!

I'm on the Miracle 8/28, Eastern Caribbean (Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau).

Are there 2 different dolphin attractions at Atlantis? Carnival Miracle talks about Dolphin Cay, and you mentioned dolphin encounters. Do you know the differences between all of them? Also, since you are booking on your own, do they still charge you if for some reason your ship can't make it into that port?

Thx!

These are 2 different excursions. The excursion mentioned on the Carnival site is on the premises of the Atlantis resort. Dolpin Encounters is located on Blue Lagoon Island, a catamaran ride from the pier.

As for not making the excursion due to a detour, the policy on the website states:

Due to limited space availability, Dolphin Encounters will not allow cancellations or rescheduling less than 24-hours before program time (longer for groups). In the event of no-show or cancellation within 24-hours, no refunds will be made.

We have seen both in Cozumel, at Chankanaub Park. I think the encounter is a waste of money. People stand on a platform in waist deep water and the dolphin swims by so you can pet them. Then they squirt you with water. You do not get in the water with the dolphins, they just swim by and may do a flip in front of you.

Swimming with them is completely different! You do have a life vest on and are in the water with the dolphin. You hold on and they pull you around, the ypush you around. I have seen them push you up out of the water and other things. The trainer tells the dolphin what to do and it is done. This is well worth the $$$!

I have never seen or heard of a scooter with the dolphins. You don't need one as they are with you, you don't have to follow them around.

We have seen both in Cozumel, at Chankanaub Park. I think the encounter is a waste of money. People stand on a platform in waist deep water and the dolphin swims by so you can pet them. Then they squirt you with water. You do not get in the water with the dolphins, they just swim by and may do a flip in front of you.

Swimming with them is completely different! You do have a life vest on and are in the water with the dolphin. You hold on and they pull you around, the ypush you around. I have seen them push you up out of the water and other things. The trainer tells the dolphin what to do and it is done. This is well worth the $$$!

I have never seen or heard of a scooter with the dolphins. You don't need one as they are with you, you don't have to follow them around.

Both the swims and encounters are different depending upon the company that runs them. In Atlantis, the swim is with a motorized swim aid, as stated in the description. You will have to read the descriptions and watch the available videos to see what is available.

With dolphin encounters, you hug, kiss, pet, and feed the doplhins in the water. Atlantis' encounter appears to be the same. I suggest doing the research before making a decision.

Archived