Will we have a problem?

topspin1267

We are vivisiting Roatan on our cruise and I have collected a duffel bag full of school supplies and such to take to a school. (I'm with a director for a teachers credit union). I had read that we might not be able to get off with a duffel bag. Does anyone know the policy? Is it a Carnival issue or one for Roatan?

Thanks

We are vivisiting Roatan on our cruise and I have collected a duffel bag full of school supplies and such to take to a school. (I'm with a director for a teachers credit union). I had read that we might not be able to get off with a duffel bag. Does anyone know the policy? Is it a Carnival issue or one for Roatan?

Thanks

I did the same thing in Cozumel. Tried to get off with a box of stuff - they questioned it. When I told them it was back packs and school supplies they told me I would have to take it to the information desk. I went back to the cabin and managed to STUFF everything into 2 of the back packs and walked off the ship. Not unusual to see a tourist with a back pack (or two). Something to do with customs. Not sure if it will work for you.

We had a huge suitcase of supplies last year. School supplies, food and clothing. When we tried to exit with the case we were told to go to the pursers desk. The desk informed us that we would not be able to take the case off due to Roatan's rules and taxes.

We took it back to the room and stuffed all but a few items into every duffle, tote and backpack we had. A few crew members who saw how upset I was at the desk arranged for other crew members to carry off a few bags each and with our family of 4 we were able to get most of the supplies into the country.

No boxes or suitcases.

That is nutty...I am sure those schools and kids appreciate the stuff you all are so kindly bringing there

Belize and Roatan both looked like they could use the goodies

I think the moral of this story is to bring backpacks, fill them, wear them off the ship, carry tote bags, and maybe enlist a few shipboard friends to do the same (cruise critic roll call members maybe?)

I don't think that it is fair to make you all stand in line or hassle you when you are doing something so kind

hang in there

I would contact the cruise line well in advance, and let them know what you are doing, and request a letter stating that you will be allowed off.

Obviously, unless you have made arrangements with the local government, you should pay any import duties and taxes...otherwise, the cruise line might get in trouble, which is probably why they look out for this type of stuff in the first place.

Of course, the best course of action would simply be to donate whatever money you are spending on school supplies, to a local charity in the country. They can often buy the supplies at a much lower cost than we pay in the US, and your dollar will go much further. You also avoid the import tax issues, since they will be a recognized tax-free organization.

Consider donating to the One Laptop Per Child program. http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A34NLXJLC88VVS

There really is no need to sneak around with back packs and duffel bags like a secret agent something LOL.

In the past if a person wanted to do such a thing, he or she could contact the cruise director in advance of sailing and that person would help make arrangements.

The intentions are good and this sort of thing can be done with a little planning.

It's been awhile, but we did bring several duffel bags and rolling suitcases full of school supplies and clothing for the orphanage in Roatan. It was on an NCL cruise and the ship's crew did not give us a hard time at all; they wouldn't help to offload anything, though. My DH and I had to get it all off the ship ourselves, sort of in shifts. It was a happy ending l... the kids at the orphanage were VERY appreciative. We ended up spending the afternoon with them!

Thanks

Generally, you must make prior arrangements for this working with the government of the country. Showing up at a school unnanounced wouldn't be a good idea at all.....

Same as the U.S., it would be disruptive.

If you do some advance planning, you should be able to work with them and the school involved to make the arrangements.....

You should be able to work through a church group here also. There are many church-sponsored and operated schools in that country.

How old is your son? My boys are 8 & 10 and we are also trying to introduce them to "The real world" and the people that live in it. I grew up overseas and sharing other peoples culture has been the most enjoyable part of my traveling life.

That is nutty...I am sure those schools and kids appreciate the stuff you all are so kindly bringing there

Belize and Roatan both looked like they could use the goodies

I think the moral of this story is to bring backpacks, fill them, wear them off the ship, carry tote bags, and maybe enlist a few shipboard friends to do the same (cruise critic roll call members maybe?)

I don't think that it is fair to make you all stand in line or hassle you when you are doing something so kind

hang in there

"No good deed goes unpunished.":rolleyes:

However, these efforts to share America's wealth, even though the dollar values may be low, probably do more to broadcast the true feelings of most Americans then the MILLION$ given to their governments by ours.:)

Archived