Is the forest fire affecting the CA coastal highway?

Middleager

Hi. We're flying to SFO next Mon. Aug. 24, then from Aug. 25 will be renting a car to drive through San Jose, Santa Cruz, then down Big Sur and the coastal highway, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, etc. before getting to Long Beach for the Aug. 30 Carnival Splendor cruise.

A friend in San Jose called 2 nights ago and left a message that there are alot of soot in the air, near Santa Cruz due to the fire.

Are forest fires near Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara making parts of the coastal highway hard to see/breath? Or are they contained in small areas that we shouldn't worry?

Thanks.

Almost impossible to know, even if you were driving through the affected areas an hour from now. The existing fires could be put out or unfortunately new ones could start. The location of the active fire line affects road closures and the winds and weather will determine what areas have visibility or smoke problems. The smoke, breathing, and road issues will be close to a fire and very dynamic...farther from the fire there can be haze and visibility problems.

Be sure to monitor the local news on TV and radio and inquire locally.

I live in Santa Barbara and my daughter lives in Santa Cruz. Things are looking better for the full fire containment. All evacuation orders have been lifted for both towns. No visibility problems here. We had ash falling for a few days but none now. Enjoy your drive through our beautiful town.

By next Mon that fire will prob be contained or out and two or three new ones started.

I wouldnt worry about your trip, keep an eye on the internet and local news when you get here, but it has to be a pretty big fire and really close to the highway for them to close it.

Thanks. We plan on staying in Monterey on Tue. Aug. 25 night, then take the day Wed Aug. 26 to drive to Pismo Beach. Then Thr Aug. 27 to Solvang, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu (yes booked Getty Villa), Santa Monica, then Long Beach. Maybe dinner near Santa Monica.

Comforting to know it it'll need to be a big fire to close the coastal highway.

My wife doesn't usually get motion sickness, but will ask the mother-in-law. I still got motion sickness pills so will have them ready.

Archived