Do you take your passport with you?

CRUISING71

A copy does you NO GOOD in a safe.... HOW simple can it be. You get a passport to PROVE you are a US citizen... when that very low paid official wants to see your passport as you see the ship sail away what are you going to do? I've had enough... if you don't get it by now you never will.

Again........if you are deathly afraid of missing the ship then take your passport with you...........simple......nobody here is telling you not to.......

I don't understand? How would having a passport save you THOUSANDS of dollars if you are in a foreign country and have to get home? I presume there may be a cost involved in getting proof of citizenship - but all other costs would remain the same? (I actually have a canadian citizenship laminated card that I can take off the ship with me which I hope would help!)

Well, expediated passport services aren't cheap. Flight home from a small island nation to your home/car isn't cheap either, especially when you're flying at the last minute. Plus accomodations and food and other comfort items while waiting for your paperwork to process ... the costs don't remain the same if you were planning on leaving on a cruise ship and suddenly have to fly.

Well, expediated passport services aren't cheap. Flight home from a small island nation to your home/car isn't cheap either, especially when you're flying at the last minute. Plus accomodations and food and other comfort items while waiting for your paperwork to process ... the costs don't remain the same if you were planning on leaving on a cruise ship and suddenly have to fly.

Well then the extra money I would be spending on my sail and sign card should more then cover it:p

Again........if you are deathly afraid of missing the ship then take your passport with you...........simple......nobody here is telling you not to.......

Hey, Kurb I've had a very polite policeman/guard/something carrying an AUTOMATIC rifle ask to see my passport in Cozumel. We were asking directions in broken spanish... I WAS SO GLAD I HAD IT!!!! I doubt it would have been a big problem if I had not had it but it does point out something... ANY official/hotel employee/bank/etc can demand to see your passport in foreign countries... It is "their" right, in fact I think it is Brazil (not completely sure but visa is required) that you must show your passport to enter the port area. I have been asked for my passport in Nassau. We had them, some people in front had driver's lis. and were given a "talking" to. I'm sure it was just that official but it does happen.

Hey, Kurb I've had a very polite policeman/guard/something carrying an AUTOMATIC rifle ask to see my passport in Cozumel. We were asking directions in broken spanish... I WAS SO GLAD I HAD IT!!!! I doubt it would have been a big problem if I had not had it but it does point out something... ANY official/hotel employee/bank/etc can demand to see your passport in foreign countries... It is "their" right, in fact I think it is Brazil (not completely sure but visa is required) that you must show your passport to enter the port area. I have been asked for my passport in Nassau. We had them, some people in front had driver's lis.and were given a "talking" to. I'm sure it was just that official but it does happen.

Then YOU best keep yours with you.....:p

This thread has me laughing at all of the silly reasons for NOT carrying the passport off the ship. I mean, really, should the fear of losing it be the reason for not carrying. Don't you carry your driver's license? I guess you don't always have to carry your driver's license when you leave the house. It could get lost. Besides, what are the odds that you'll get pulled over and need to produce that document. Just hope your ready to pay that fine for not having it. I guess some people just don't want to make the effort to protect themselves from the possibilities of needing to have their passport.

That goes for the same folks who refuse to get a passport just because they're not required to have one on a closed loop cruise. I hear, anecdotally, that, on average, there's one passenger left at a port everyday out of all cruises that sail. I sure hope they didn't choose to leave their passport in the safe (if they even had one). Maybe, they kept their ID and ship card in a safe place, on their person. Doubt it would do them any good though.

Hey!! How is it possible for a person to be responsible enough to carry all other forms of ID off the ship, but they can't trust themselves to carry a passport? I bet that camera they're holding cost more than the passport did. If you you're a betting person who is sure they will never, ever need to use that passport while on foreign soil, then go ahead, leave it on the ship. My inner boy scout says, "Be prepared!"

Worst case scenario is you lose it. That would suck. If you're worried about that, the smart thing to do is to have copies of the passport to expedite replacement and a backup form of ID on the ship (passport card, BC and DL). In fact, if you chose the passport card or BC/DL as your forms of ID to get back into the country from the ship and carried your passport while ashore, you're covered all your bases. This way, if you lose your passport while ashore, you still have citizenship ID onboard the ship to get back into the US.

One thing's for sure. If you'd have lost your passport while ashore then it's reasonable to believe you'd have lost whatever other form of ID you would have been carrying. So what's the reason for not carrying it?

One thing's for sure. If you'd have lost your passport while ashore then it's reasonable to believe you'd have lost whatever other form of ID you would have been carrying. So what's the reason for not carrying it?

Unless you have your hand in my dh's board shorts front pocket......you won't be getting my id and sail and sign card;)

Oh and I did get my camera stolen once in port;)

But seriously why does anyone care what others do? It is a personal choice.......at least for now;)

If the cruiselines were sailing off without all those passengers........believe me they would mandate a passport.....

Paranoia is bad for your health........

I never ever take the passport off the ship - you obviously have a greater chance of losing it or having it stolen when it is not locked up in your cabin safe!!!

I do keep a laminated copy of passport info with me in my beach safe - most of my excursions end up in the 'water' and I would hesitate to leave my passport in beach bag while I was out snorkelling or swimming. All my valuables are on my person so if anything happens to my 'stuff' I can still get on the ship!

This doesnt make any sense. If you are worried about losing it or someone stealing your passport and maybe stealing your identidy, everything they need is also on the photocopy??

I don't understand? How would having a passport save you THOUSANDS of dollars if you are in a foreign country and have to get home? I presume there may be a cost involved in getting proof of citizenship - but all other costs would remain the same? (I actually have a canadian citizenship laminated card that I can take off the ship with me which I hope would help!)

If it takes a few days to expedite the new passport you could very well spend a lot of money. If you have your passport my understanding is that it would be a lot simpler to book a flight.

I guess one thing that does not occur to most US citizens is that in many countries carrying a passport with you at all times is just natural. We drive/fly/etc. all over the US, never once worrying about "proving" that we are US citizens or who we are. Not so in some countries. Ask a Bahamian/Haitian/St. Marteen/etc. citizen if they would leave a cruise ship without their passport. It is just an american mindset. I have lived in other countries and always knew where my passport was or had it on me... heck I used it to cash checks, get tickets on trains/planes/autos/etc.

I have lived in other countries and always knew where my passport was or had it on me... heck I used it to cash checks, get tickets on trains/planes/autos/etc.

You've really used it to cash checks and ect, even in the US? (Not making fun of you or being sarcastic but just curious) I've always wondered about using it to do that at times but I use my id because everyone wants to see your address on some sort of identification.

You've really used it to cash checks and ect, even in the US? (Not making fun of you or being sarcastic but just curious) I've always wondered about using it to do that at times but I use my id because everyone wants to see your address on some sort of identification.

That was outside the US, no haven't done it in the US but a friend runs a liquor store and regularly cashes payroll checks using a passport as a ID... mostly people from other countries.:D

Unless you have your hand in my dh's board shorts front pocket......you won't be getting my id and sail and sign card;)

Oh and I did get my camera stolen once in port;)

But seriously why does anyone care what others do? It is a personal choice.......at least for now;)

If the cruiselines were sailing off without all those passengers........believe me they would mandate a passport.....

Paranoia is bad for your health........

I guess they wouldn't get your passport, either. :rolleyes:

Hi,

After we dock at port...do we have to take our passport along with us? Or the card is good enough?

Thanks,

Tibbie

You do not need to take your passports with you. However, if there is a chance you will miss the ship (it will leave without you) then you should take your passport with you. The passport is very valuable and I like to keep it safe - like in the safe in the cabin.

That said, it is a good idea to take a copy of your passport with you.

You do not need to take your passports with you. However, if there is a chance you will miss the ship (it will leave without you) then you should take your passport with you. The passport is very valuable and I like to keep it safe - like in the safe in the cabin.

That said, it is a good idea to take a copy of your passport with you.

Do you take a copy of your driver's lis. with you?

A COPY is about as good as a COPY of a $100 bill... Take the REAL one with you and have a COPY in the safe.

Yes. I've used it as a form of ID at the DMV, to open bank accounts, and to cash checks. If they want a current address, just produce a utility bill or a book of checks with the same name.

Passport is too big and not water proof.........so it would definitely get destroyed:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really don't understand this TOO BIG comment... It fits in my back pocket, front pocket, extra pocket on cargo pants with zipper. How big is your passport? I just measured my passport and it is just under 5" by just under 3 1/2"... fits in any pocket on pants, even pocket on shirt. My passport fits nicely in a waterproof pouch.:D

I really don't understand this TOO BIG comment... It fits in my back pocket, front pocket, extra pocket on cargo pants with zipper. How big is your passport? I just measured my passport and it is just under 5" by just under 3 1/2"... fits in any pocket on pants, even pocket on shirt. My passport fits nicely in a waterproof pouch.:D

You don't have to understand it now do you? We are comfortable bringing our cash, laminated s&s cards, and licenses......all which are completely compact and waterproof and fit perfectly in dh's front velcro pocket.....that is what we choose to do......

I myself don't carry anything of value except for my camera which is easy to replace.........

I have been a target of identity theft before and I will do my damndest not to become a victim again.....okay:confused:

You can do whatever makes you comfortable...........

BTW.......I wouldn't put anything of value in your back pocket or shirt pocket for that matter if I were you.........but again if that's your thing....so be it....

Psssttttt .... did you just threaten to grab Bob's butt? ;)

Only if there is a cold beer there.......you know how I like butt beer:p:D

You guys aren't really helping me with this one.

Seems to be about 50-50 on responses.

What does Carnival suggest when you ask them?

:confused:

Last time we were on the Elation getting ready to tender into Cabo.......the cd was on the pa system telling everyone since this is basically a beach town......he suggested leaving our passports on board so they would not get lost..........

Carnival has nothing to say about this because they don't mandate passports........

I have been a target of identity theft before and I will do my damndest not to become a victim again.....okay:confused:

Fine, but why take a copy of your passport then? It has the same PRINTED info that the passport has... Reason I say printed is because the magnetic strip in/on your passport is what really counts.

Only if there is a cold beer there.......you know how I like butt beer:p:D

LMAO

Archived