car parking in san diego

noslen3333

Hello,

In San Diego there are many parking facilities including a lot directly across the street from the cruise terminal. I do not recall a parking garage adjacent to the cruise terminal

However, San Diego Airport Parking Company is located at 2771 Kurtz Street in San Diego. Cars are parked in a secure lighted lot, with a shuttle to and from the cruise terminal. The rates are very reasonable, very nice people, and easy access to and from freeways. The lot is located about 15 minutes from the cruise terminal.

There is also a website where you can make a reservation. We have used this company three times and we have been very pleased each time.

The lots across the street (5 Star and Lane Field) from the pier are not a garage. They are open parking lots that are fenced. They are also fairly expensive. If you require a garaged lot, you will pay significantly more than secure but non-garaged lots in the airport/pier area.

You can find a list of lots nearby from the Port Authority here:

http://www.sandiegocruiseport.com/san-diego-cruise-tips.html

You can also find lots that offer discount on-line coupons here. I fly out of SAN on a frequent basis and usually find the best deal at the Mission Brewery lot:

http://www.longtermparking.com/california.htm#SDA

I have also used the lot on Kurtz street above, but find service is variable, and have better service and feel my car is safer at Mission Brewery. Neither is a garage though.

I think it depends on your length of cruise. We are going on a 5 night cruise and have decided it's not worth the small savings or hassle to park at the airport. If we were on a longer cruise, it might be a consideration. We're figuring $20 or so in cab fare round trip to the airport, so the savings for us would be only $5. If we used a free shuttle (a few lots shuttle to the cruise port) we'd save a little bit more, or if our cruise was longer we would consider the shuttle.

We just get too impatient waiting in lines for shuttles :o

thank you all for the useful information. We are considering 2 cruises...one on Royal Carribean and then the Carnival Spirit. So we would be gone around 20 days. I will check on all the websites ya'll offered. Thanks again and happy sailing.

• 4 weeks later...

I found parking information at the the bottom of this page:

http://www.sandiegocruiseport.com/san-diego-cruise-tips.html

We are taking two cruises out of San Diego. In two weeks we have arranged a Park and Cruise at the HI Bayside, but will be arriving the day of the cruise for our 10 night February Cruise. The website I posted says that there is a Park & Go at 2535 Pacific Highway that is $10 per day with a shuttle. Has anyone used this parking? Does the shuttle come automatically to the pier to pick you up or do you have to call? Thank you.

Have used this twice; $10/day with one day per week free with HAL.

888-235-9726. Take the Sassafras exit off of S I-5; right at the first light (Kettner Blvd) one block downhill to the lot. Free shuttle to the pier. Very very easy. Secure lot, not cover.

We did a combo cruise last year: 8 days on Spirit, 7 days on Oosterdam. It's a nice port to do a "cross-over-the -pier" connection. Enjoy!

There are actually two lots "right across the street". Lane Field at 900 W. Broadway, is $15/day or $105 - $120/week, and Five Star at 800 W. Broadway is $20/day. Anyone who paid $12 either parked elsewhere or has not parked at either of these lots for several years.

There are plans within the next couple of years to use this land for port redevelopment, so they will not be available forever.

We did Park n Go last March. Great service. The posted rate was $10. but the on line coupon reduced that to $7. We parked there for our pre cruise (hotel parking $32.) as well since we did not need a car in the downtown area. The driver gave us tour on the way back the hotel. I think he told us the daily rate at the lot accross the street from the dock with $15 going up to $20. per day. It was not very full (no surprise). The lot is not large but you can make a reservation.

Archived