Pacaya Volcano options

DoubleAK

I'd like to hike up Pacaya Volcano during my stop in Puerto Quetzal, but I'm not sure the best and/or cheapest way to do it.

NCL offers an excursion for $80pp, but it seems steep for what amounts to a shuttle to/from the volcano. I see Go with Gus offers a similar trip, but its even more at $99pp.

So I'm wondering if there's any other 3rd party guides in Puerto Quetzal that offer this trip for less? Are they safe and reliable?

Failing that, is there any major difference between the NCL and Gus tours?

Any info appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for help greatamerguy, but unfortunately I didn't see it before I left.

For those who might be wondering, I ended up buying the NCL excursion. I didn't see any private tour operators at the port offering this excursion besides GwG. So for $80pp, we got a narrated bus ride up to the volcano trailhead (about an hour each way) and led up to where the lava was flowing. No food was provided, but we got a bottle of water during the ride back to ship. However, there is a snackstand at the trailhead if you want to buy your own food and drink.

So as I predicted, you don't get much for your $80. But the volcano itself was a very unique experience and feel it was worth the cost. Furthermore, this is NOT a trip I would try to take on my own. The trailhead is far from port and not easy to find. Plus you need to pay a road toll and admission to the park itself. Since these costs were included in the ticket price, it was nice to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Archived